+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
I think you are right so that means if a protected person had a sin number before his acceptance, that sin number will be extended after his acceptance until he has a PR card. So Donbosco can continue using his sin. I just was accepted recently and was heard from friends that an accepted refugee get a permanent sin but as you said it is a temporary one so it means just the extension of the current sin number.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
if a protected person had a sin number before his acceptance, that sin number will be extended after his acceptance until he has a PR card
Correct. They will extend the expiry date until you recieve your PR. Once you have that you can apply for a permenent SIN.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is great to hear you are expedited. But my personal experience with the expedited process was not good. I was expedited one month after application. They asked for more documents and I sent them in 15 days. Then I had a false hope that I will get the answer soon but for 8 months there was no news at all. 8 months! and I was checking the mailbox every day with hope to see the IRB letter. Finally, I called them several times and they said the caseworkers' group was changed and they canceled many expedited cases including me. The sad part is they will not inform us if we are still expedited or not.
Then I had a hearing scheduled and canceled and scheduled again and canceled and finally, I had my hearing.
I am not sure what is going on in IRB We have to wait and be patient and also we have to be ready for unexpected events too.
It is so difficult to live with false hope and then be disappointed. :(
Although you may not feel that your file was expedited your processing time was much faster than most applicants. We have seen many applicants from other priority countries like Syria be processed closer to 1.5 years.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Although you may not feel that your file was expedited your processing time was much faster than most applicants. We have seen many applicants from other priority countries like Syria be processed closer to 1.5 years.
Yeah, I am happy although they removed me from expedited process my overall process toke 11 months. My friend who applied at the same time was accepted after 7 months. I never heard that Afghans cases take more than a year. At least until now!

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
I wish everyone is accepted soon and feel the happiness.

Reactions: 9990

Um Zainab

May 4, 2018
That is great to hear you are expedited. But my personal experience with the expedited process was not good. I was expedited one month after application. They asked for more documents and I sent them in 15 days. Then I had a false hope that I will get the answer soon but for 8 months there was no news at all. 8 months! and I was checking the mailbox every day with hope to see the IRB letter. Finally, I called them several times and they said the caseworkers' group was changed and they canceled many expedited cases including me. The sad part is they will not inform us if we are still expedited or not.
Then I had a hearing scheduled and canceled and scheduled again and canceled and finally, I had my hearing.
I am not sure what is going on in IRB We have to wait and be patient and also we have to be ready for unexpected events too.
It is so difficult to live with false hope and then be disappointed. :(
I know that feeling, I also check my mailbox everyday and I hope that I’ll hear from IRB soon with good news.

Um Zainab

May 4, 2018
Yes, that is correct.
I'm calling every 2-3 months and they keep telling me it's First In First Out which is ridiculous, sadly enough I can't tell them off. But at least your case was moved which is great either way (hearing or approval).
Thank you! I hope you’ll soon hear from IRB with good news.

Sep 28, 2018
Hey SAMER MAHER, I have been reading your post since 2017, I waited one year to get a hearing date in Winnipeg, and my claim was approved today when everyone told me it was impossible, The entire hearing took less than an hour for me. I hope things go well for you and every other person awaiting a hearing.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hey SAMER MAHER, I have been reading your post since 2017, I waited one year to get a hearing date in Winnipeg, and my claim was approved today when everyone told me it was impossible, The entire hearing took less than an hour for me. I hope things go well for you and every other person awaiting a hearing.
Congratulations.
I know how good is the feeling after hearing.
I hope samer be the next person from this group who be accepted.

Jan 10, 2017
Thank you, Yeah some places have faster hearings than others. It's a gut wrenching process, but in the end you forget all the time it took.
Congratulation!!! Finally waiting time is over for hearing...!!!
Where are you from? Are you from one of expedite country policy?

Sep 28, 2018
I'm just here to encourage everyone to keep up the faith. Its a process that affects you both mentally and physically, but if you stand by your claim and are credible, and also provide strong supporting evidence, those factors could help bolster your claim.

Reactions: 9990
Sep 28, 2018
It is possible they are prioritizing people crossing over by foot, but I cannot really say as that is not the case for me, I had been in Canada for a year and half prior to my claiming for protection, so I can most certainly, confidently say I did not cross by foot, I came here by plane :)