+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would try and do some volunteer work. Yes many employers are reluctant to hire someone and train them not knowing whether they will be able to stay in Canada.

Reactions: nalax85

yezihao2

Aug 11, 2017
My hearing was originally scheduled today on 11 AUG 2017, but yesterday, someone from IRB called and said that the member in charge of my case was ill. And I have to wait for the rescheduling.
Is there anyone who has been given "illness" as an excuse for postponement?
Really want to know.

Last edited:

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
My hearing was originally scheduled today on 11 AUG 2017, but yesterday, someone from IRB called and said that the member in charge of my case was ill. And I have to wait for the rescheduling.
Is there anyone who has been given "illness" as an excuse for postponement?
Really want to know.
Yes this happened with my friend and they rescheduled 3 months later.
When did you apply for asylum ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately asylum cases in general are taking longer due to sheer volume. Legacy cases are also being prioritized which I think is very fair since many have been waiting at least 5 years. It seems like resources will also be needed to specifically deal with the Haitian asylum seekers that have walked across the border since most don't qualify for asylum. Since many other people under temporary protection in the US could walk across the border there is a need to clear up any misinformation and prove that people will get refusals and they have been given false information. It will also very costly if the new asylum seekers from Haiti linger in the system for years even if they have no chance of getting asylum. I am sure there are also some cases where people will qualify for asylum but I think it will be under 50% I also understand why they don't want to return to Haiti.

Depending on your country of origin, whether you have lived in many countries, previous involvement in things like an army or government and laxk of cooperation from other countries/organizations some background checks my take a long time and that might also delay the process as well. Unfortunately in the past couple of years many countries have seen their average processing times for asylum triple or quadruble or more. Best of luck.

If you are able to practice your English/French language skills, get a job if you have a work permit or volunteer to get some Canadian experience I would try to use my time to focus on some of these things so you have something else to focus on and distract you. Any work you put in will surely help you if/when you receive asylum.

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
Unfortunately asylum cases in general are taking longer due to sheer volume. Legacy cases are also being prioritized which I think is very fair since many have been waiting at least 5 years. It seems like resources will also be needed to specifically deal with the Haitian asylum seekers that have walked across the border since most don't qualify for asylum. Since many other people under temporary protection in the US could walk across the border there is a need to clear up any misinformation and prove that people will get refusals and they have been given false information. It will also very costly if the new asylum seekers from Haiti linger in the system for years even if they have no chance of getting asylum. I am sure there are also some cases where people will qualify for asylum but I think it will be under 50% I also understand why they don't want to return to Haiti.

Depending on your country of origin, whether you have lived in many countries, previous involvement in things like an army or government and laxk of cooperation from other countries/organizations some background checks my take a long time and that might also delay the process as well. Unfortunately in the past couple of years many countries have seen their average processing times for asylum triple or quadruble or more. Best of luck.

If you are able to practice your English/French language skills, get a job if you have a work permit or volunteer to get some Canadian experience I would try to use my time to focus on some of these things so you have something else to focus on and distract you. Any work you put in will surely help you if/when you receive asylum.
You sound like someone who is very well informed about what is going on. Do you work for the IRB?
I totally understand what you are saying, and agree with most points. The thing is the amount of stress is unbelievable, and all we need is to relax and know for a fact that this is our home now.
My journey to Canada to file for Asylum took 5 years in 3 different countries, with plenty of disappointments and now I sleep and wake up asking myself if the struggle is over and I now can call this place home.
Im Syrian, therefore Im considered for the expediting processing and my security clearance is back already. its been more than 6 months now

as for the job and the Canadian experience, I personally have been applying since i arrived, and NO ONE would hire you for a job -other than pizza delivery- when they know you aint a permanent resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Definitely don't work for the IRB. Given you are Syrian I would expect that your chances are quite high. I have seen that some Syrians have recently been accepted without an interview. I suspect that this is one of the ways they are trying to process people faster. I can't begin to understand what you're going through but given what I am going through in my own life I try to focus on the small things which I am thankful for versus the really bad things I have no control over.

I know that employers are reluctant to hire and train people if they are uncertain whether they will be able to stay. I'm not sure what your background is but I might try to see if I could do a short unpaid internship to get some Canadian experience. Many Canadian students are forced to take this route after they graduate. I would also seek out networking opportunities where you can meet people face to face versus just sending in your CV. You seem to have strong language skills. Volunteering is also a good way to network and meet new people. I find it sometimes puts things in perspective if you are working with the less fortunate or people in need for various reasons. Perhaps there are some Syrian refugees in your community that you can help since your language skills seem so good? Reading mail, helping kids with homework, practicing English conversation, etc. Sorry I don't have any concrete solutions but getting out of the house and being busy may help the time go by faster.

Reactions: jman25 and nalax85

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
Definitely don't work for the IRB. Given you are Syrian I would expect that your chances are quite high. I have seen that some Syrians have recently been accepted without an interview. I suspect that this is one of the ways they are trying to process people faster. I can't begin to understand what you're going through but given what I am going through in my own life I try to focus on the small things which I am thankful for versus the really bad things I have no control over.

I know that employers are reluctant to hire and train people if they are uncertain whether they will be able to stay. I'm not sure what your background is but I might try to see if I could do a short unpaid internship to get some Canadian experience. Many Canadian students are forced to take this route after they graduate. I would also seek out networking opportunities where you can meet people face to face versus just sending in your CV. You seem to have strong language skills. Volunteering is also a good way to network and meet new people. I find it sometimes puts things in perspective if you are working with the less fortunate or people in need for various reasons. Perhaps there are some Syrian refugees in your community that you can help since your language skills seem so good? Reading mail, helping kids with homework, practicing English conversation, etc. Sorry I don't have any concrete solutions but getting out of the house and being busy may help the time go by faster.
Thank you for the valuable input. I actually am looking for establishing my life trying to figure out what career to take here since my previous experience doesn't mean anything here. I have a bachelor degree in marketing from a canadian institution but in an overseas campus. maybe go for a graduate certificate with a co-op program.

On the other hand, do you think that i maybe hear from them soon? I already received a letter before the cancelled court date that my case is considered for the expedited process and i called my IRB agent and he said the security check is ok.