+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post ITA: Work History v Personal History

AgentEves

Aug 29, 2014
Does it matter if these don't match? (Not clashing info, just not listing all jobs in Work History.)

As far as I was aware, Work History was where you put the jobs that count towards your score. Then Personal History is for literally everything... work, travel, times of unemployment.

Now I'm worried that they might raise a flag if there are jobs in my Personal History that aren't in my Work History.

Getting references for some of my jobs are proving to be a right pain. Especially as the bosses I had at the time don't appear to work there any more. Two of them are large companies and everything seems to be done online, but I don't have login info etc. And tbh, it seems like a major hassle for something that doesn't even give me any points. They were just retail jobs that I did for a few months, and have no influence on my EE application.

What's the opinion on that?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AgentEves said:
Does it matter if these don't match? (Not clashing info, just not listing all jobs in Work History.)

As far as I was aware, Work History was where you put the jobs that count towards your score. Then Personal History is for literally everything... work, travel, times of unemployment.

Now I'm worried that they might raise a flag if there are jobs in my Personal History that aren't in my Work History.

Getting references for some of my jobs are proving to be a right pain. Especially as the bosses I had at the time don't appear to work there any more. Two of them are large companies and everything seems to be done online, but I don't have login info etc. And tbh, it seems like a major hassle for something that doesn't even give me any points. They were just retail jobs that I did for a few months, and have no influence on my EE application.

What's the opinion on that?
The system won't allow you to leave gaps on Personal history and if you deliberately input things which aren't true, that will be misrepresentation.

You'll have to try and get as much documentation as you possibly can to support your personal history - at least put in the effort required first. If the efforts don't fructify into meaningful results, write a nicely detailed letter of explanation highlighting all efforts taken towards filling up those gaps, your inability to procure said letters of reference from past employers and the fact that these experiences do not count towards your eligibility or CRS score. Also attach a notarized self declaration (along with whatever minimal documentation that you might have for those past jobs) asserting that you've tried your best and are unable to procure anything else beyond the documents that you already have and request CIC to kindly consider your case favorably even in the absence of those work reference documents.

All the best!

Reactions: adityagupta88

AgentEves

Aug 29, 2014
Personal History is complete, with no gaps, and is accurate.

At the moment, my Work History has only the two jobs which contribute towards my score.

For the Work History portion, it doesn't specify that there should be no gaps (obviously, because its not unreasonable for people to go for periods with no work) and states something along the lines of giving a history of work so that they can use it to calculate the score. I originally read that to mean that you ONLY give details of the jobs that contribute to your score. But then today, I thought maybe I had read it incorrectly.

Both sections are factual, and accurate. I haven't lied in either section. I'm just trying to determine if I have misunderstood what should go in the Work History section, moreso, if they are likely to highlight that there are jobs on my Personal History which are not included in my Work History.

I also don't know if, in the situation where they did want to know about the 'missing' jobs, that they would reject the application, or would they simply request more documents?

EDIT: I can answer my own question... why give them any reason to doubt it. Include it, with the letter, like you say, and if they want to know more, or insist I get the documents, then so be it.

Easier to make a little bit of effort now than to end up being rejected over being lazy.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You've understood what it takes to deal with CIC. Should be smooth sailing from now... :)

AgentEves

Aug 29, 2014
I assume, though, with something like this, they would ask for more info rather than straight up reject the application.

If it does get rejected, do you get your fees back?

As far as I understand it, there is a processing fee, and a fee for the visa. Presumably you only have to pay the visa fee if you actually get it. But the processing fee - do you lose that if your app is rejected?

inder2513

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
I also have same question.

Do I need to mention the part time jobs I did while I was student under my work history or just put it under personal history and support it with reference letters.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AgentEves said:
I assume, though, with something like this, they would ask for more info rather than straight up reject the application.

If it does get rejected, do you get your fees back?

As far as I understand it, there is a processing fee, and a fee for the visa. Presumably you only have to pay the visa fee if you actually get it. But the processing fee - do you lose that if your app is rejected?
I'm going out on a limb here - I don't think they refund the processing fee if they reject your application after they have started processing it. However, if you've paid the RPRF fee in advance, that does get refunded.

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
Hi,

I am only now filling in an application for EE (had been waiting for my WES report from February :eek:)
So to be clear- on an initial EE application I need to include in Work history only the jobs relevant and for which I can get points. But when I will receive ITA< then in Personal history I will have to include everything- jobs, studies etc and hope to get reference letters from all employers....

Am I understanding correctly?

Also, will we need all work reference letters for my spouse?

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
Hi,

Another question- do I have to include in work history my part time job while I was a full time student at University?

Getting confused now :(

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiki10 said:
Hi,

I am only now filling in an application for EE (had been waiting for my WES report from February :eek:)
So to be clear- on an initial EE application I need to include in Work history only the jobs relevant and for which I can get points. But when I will receive ITA< then in Personal history I will have to include everything- jobs, studies etc and hope to get reference letters from all employers....

Am I understanding correctly?

Yes. If you understand that to mean that it is entirely your choice to publish or ignore the work experience that doesn't get you any points or eligibility in the Work history section, that is entirely correct.

In Personal history section, you've to account for all the time you've spent and this could be Educational, Employment, Travel, Unemployed/looking for job etc. You cannot leave any gaps here so this has to be full disclosure. Some people (including me) hence conclude that you can do the same with Work history section as well so that both of these are in sync but it is not mandatory to do so.

Also, will we need all work reference letters for my spouse?

You will get those points only if your spouse has Canadian work experience. If that is the case, you need those reference letters.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiki10 said:
Hi,

Another question- do I have to include in work history my part time job while I was a full time student at University?

Getting confused now :(

Thanks
I would think Not. Unless you are using that part-time job towards your eligibility criteria or CRS points, you can ignore that from Work history because your corresponding Personal history (for the same time period) will show up as full-time education.

Hope that clarifies. All the best!

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
Asivad Anac said:
I would think Not. Unless you are using that part-time job towards your eligibility criteria or CRS points, you can ignore that from Work history because your corresponding Personal history (for the same time period) will show up as full-time education.

Hope that clarifies. All the best!
thank you for your responses!!!

No, this job will not count towards eligibility or points. And that is why I am confused do I need to include it or not.
Yes, in Personal history will not be any gaps, in many occasions will be overlaps between jobs and studies (had been working while studying full time and when I was working full time and was studying part time/evenings at the same time).... And for last ten year I was self employed at the same time as employed....
So I think it will not any harm of putting this part time job in work experience but I might have trouble of getting letter from employer and I do not have any payslips)...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiki10 said:
thank you for your responses!!!

No, this job will not count towards eligibility or points. And that is why I am confused do I need to include it or not.
Yes, in Personal history will not be any gaps, in many occasions will be overlaps between jobs and studies (had been working while studying full time and when I was working full time and was studying part time/evenings at the same time).... And for last ten year I was self employed at the same time as employed....
So I think it will not any harm of putting this part time job in work experience but I might have trouble of getting letter from employer and I do not have any payslips)...
I've attempted to help out with the guiding principles as I understand them. Of course, each one of us will have our own complicated work and personal histories to grapple with individually. Use these principles to figure out how best to represent your case to CIC.

Another guiding principle is to use a letter of explanation wisely. If you don't have all the reference letters (a very common state for most of us), try and get as much as you can before submissions post ITA and then attach whatever you have with a nicely worded and politely written letter of explanation highlighting all your attempts at constructing as complete a personal and professional record as possible. That should work.

All the best!

pav

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the unemployed period,I am not able to complete forms as it is asking for company name.
What should I put in there?