+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

kahuela

Aug 14, 2015
Hey guys!
I am a future student at BCIT, just wanted to double check something. My program is 9 moths length, so as i know you get study permit for as long as you study, so in my case for 9 months. At the same time I am planing to work off campus, part time, the question is how does it work, I mean I can apply for PGWP only after completing the course, obtaining my certificate, but that will happen only at the end of those 9 months that I've studied, how can I wait for 90+ days more if my study permit expires. Or maybe I've got some more time after completing the course?
Thank you!

kahuela

Aug 14, 2015
I think I found the answer, "As long as you apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires you will have implied status." So if I've got study permit which allows me to work and I apply for PGWP before study permit end I just keep working legally until I get PGWP.

mohsin9055

Jul 27, 2015
Hi ,

Yeah my plan was to withdraw application of PGWP. I asked jubear about this earlier, he told u can withdraw ur application through case specific site. at that time only 6 days were left before my study permit expires. In such a short time u cant get letter of acceptance in a unversity. Also my study permit is expired then i thought lets go for PGWP. Will see about doing degree later.

ricky__2312

Aug 15, 2015
Hiii, I applied for PGWP on 5th june and still waiting and right now the processing time is 112 days. My visa and study permit both expired on 30th june and employer is asking for work permit or else I will loose my job. I am on implied status and can work but my employer dont want to take any risk and want me to produce work permit. Is there any possibility of going to border with the expired visa and SP to get work permit. Thanks

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ricky__2312 said:
Hiii, I applied for PGWP on 5th june and still waiting and right now the processing time is 112 days. My visa and study permit both expired on 30th june and employer is asking for work permit or else I will loose my job. I am on implied status and can work but my employer dont want to take any risk and want me to produce work permit. Is there any possibility of going to border with the expired visa and SP to get work permit. Thanks
Ricky_2312,

No you can't FP at the border. You have to be in both valid status and within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution that you have graduated.

Cheers!

AG2015

May 23, 2015
jubear said:
AG2015,

No worries. If the MP doesn't reply quickly (sometimes they have too many emails to answer), Google his/her address and go straight to his/her office. Speaking face-to-face can be a lot more easier than emails. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Cheers!
Hi,
Finally, the waiting game is over!!! :p My PGWP has been approved on August, 12, 2015 for 3 years. :-* The actual document is on way through post. Thank you everyone and especially Jubear for all the help and support.
Cheers,

ceidra

Jul 8, 2015
I can't make a new topic for some reason (!?), so I'm hijacking this thread—sorry!

I applied for my PGWP in early July, so given the current processing times, I'm expecting my permit to arrive sometime in fall. My study permit expired a few days ago; I'm currently "enjoying" implied status.

I'm planning to make a quick trip to the US for a few days in September. I realize that leaving Canada means I will lose any currently implied privilege to study and/or work. That's okay—I can live off of my savings for two or three months.

My question is: upon returning to Canada, will I be considered a "tourist-level" visitor who must leave the country within 90 days? (I'm European; ergo visa-exempt.) And if that visitor status expires before my PGWP arrives in the mail, will I become an illegal alien overnight, or is there a provision that lets me stay (as a non-working visitor) until a decision has been reached?

Thanks for your help.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AG2015 said:
Hi,
Finally, the waiting game is over!!! :p My PGWP has been approved on August, 12, 2015 for 3 years. :-* The actual document is on way through post. Thank you everyone and especially Jubear for all the help and support.
Cheers,
AG2015,

Congratulations! I'm extremely happy for you :D Don't forget to renew the expiry date of your SIN # at your nearest Service Canada offices. All the best in your job search.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ceidra said:
I can't make a new topic for some reason (!?), so I'm hijacking this thread—sorry!

I applied for my PGWP in early July, so given the current processing times, I'm expecting my permit to arrive sometime in fall. My study permit expired a few days ago; I'm currently "enjoying" implied status.

I'm planning to make a quick trip to the US for a few days in September. I realize that leaving Canada means I will lose any currently implied privilege to study and/or work. That's okay—I can live off of my savings for two or three months.

My question is: upon returning to Canada, will I be considered a "tourist-level" visitor who must leave the country within 90 days? (I'm European; ergo visa-exempt.) And if that visitor status expires before my PGWP arrives in the mail, will I become an illegal alien overnight, or is there a provision that lets me stay (as a non-working visitor) until a decision has been reached?

Thanks for your help.
Ceidra,

Nothing to worry. That is what Implied Status is all about. Implied Status is not only about being able to work or study, but also about living in Canada legally until CIC makes a decision on your PGWP application.

So enjoy your holiday across the border.

Cheers!

Viz

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ricky__2312 said:

goosepalm

Aug 20, 2015
hello guys,

I applied PGWP on June 1st, still waiting. my SIN and study visa expired on july 31. I was still working unit July 31, but my boss told me that i can't work because the SIN is going to expired. So I resigned my work. Now I'm currently in Hong Kong right now for vacation since I can't work in Canada.
I am coming back on September 17, I am wondering is there any problem entering Canada. (Hong Kong passport can enter Canada as a visitor without visa).

I just want to ask did anyone have this experience before ?

Thank you,
Kelvin

dinesh_4312

Aug 21, 2015
Hello Guys,

I wanted to first appreciate the inputs that I got from this forum.

Is it possible for me to seek new employment as I am awaiting my PGWP, which I applied in June as my program finished only in May. My study permit expired on July 31st along with my SIN. Could I seek employment with an implied status?

Thanks in advance.

raghav30389

Star Member
Aug 6, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
dinesh_4312 said:
Hello Guys,

I wanted to first appreciate the inputs that I got from this forum.

Is it possible for me to seek new employment as I am awaiting my PGWP, which I applied in June as my program finished only in May. My study permit expired on July 31st along with my SIN. Could I seek employment with an implied status?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Dinesh,

Yes, you are legally eligible to start new employment on implied status, but the challenge here is to convince the employer so. I would advise you to call CIC and have them send an official email to you that are eligible to work. Additionally also take a copy of the following link from the Canadian Law website and show it to employers.

(Since I am not able to post links here, search for 'Section 186 immigration law' on google.ca and click on the first non-sponsored link)

Again, employers still find it risky to hire someone with an expired work permit and SIN. As a last resort (in case of an emergency), you may hire a lawyer or seek help from your University to draft a legal statement. Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

MyCrowley

Jul 8, 2015
dinesh_4312 said:
Thank you Raghav!
i think you can't. if you are in implied status, your SIN should be expired already. google "service canada sin beginning with a 9", there's a link regarding this.