+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Just applied for PGWP, I already have Biometrics in my profile does this help? I also want to check if I can travel outside Canada if my TRV is valid until Aug 2021? I have completed my degree so the study permit will expire in 3 months..
The travel restrictions are very stringent. Check this website to see what applies to your situation. If you read carefully, you will see that there is a lot of room for open interpretation. If you try to reenter Canada, you will be at the mercy of the border agents:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#foreign

Also yes, if they already have biometrics for you from your previous temporary residence permit application(s) your application will be processed more efficiently. Well, at least that's what we've noticed on this forum when comparing applications with biometrics vs without biometrics. It can be as quick as a 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: MoHadhrami

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Also yes, if they already have biometrics for you from your previous temporary residence permit application(s) your application will be processed more efficiently. Well, at least that's what we've noticed on this forum when comparing applications with biometrics vs without biometrics. It can be as quick as a 1-2 weeks.
That was before they made applicants in Canada exempt from biometrics. Now it looks like everyone is on the same boat, biometrics or not.

• Sad
Reactions: dillym

Ajay. Goyal

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
I think if they take 189 days for PGWP, it will beneficial for international students, as they well get more time to find job and complete PR related requirements. In this way, it may be blessings in disguise.

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
In a sense yes, but there are also people whose offers got cancelled by companies because they can’t obtain the permit on time. People looking for jobs now face challenges as implied status is frowned upon among many companies that don’t know better. The mental stress coming from waiting and the inability to getting health insurance in these trying times can be devastating. Taking more than 180 days to reach a decision means that if one gets rejected, they will not have a chance to apply again unless IRCC is willing to alter their policy.
My job offer luckily isn’t affected by my implied status and I have the luxury to be working full time since June. However, if I had been given a chance to choose, I’d take the approved permit right away. Waiting in a limbo not knowing if you can exist in a country legally is mentally draining, while many of us are also confronted with other issues in life (health, work, family wise)

nkczh22

Sep 10, 2020
In a sense yes, but there are also people whose offers got cancelled by companies because they can’t obtain the permit on time. People looking for jobs now face challenges as implied status is frowned upon among many companies that don’t know better. The mental stress coming from waiting and the inability to getting health insurance in these trying times can be devastating. Taking more than 180 days to reach a decision means that if one gets rejected, they will not have a chance to apply again unless IRCC is willing to alter their policy.
My job offer luckily isn’t affected by my implied status and I have the luxury to be working full time since June. However, if I had been given a chance to choose, I’d take the approved permit right away. Waiting in a limbo not knowing if you can exist in a country legally is mentally draining, while many of us are also confronted with other issues in life (health, work, family wise)
Agreed - a lot work benefits (additional insurance policies) depend on obtaining OHIP and there are many things that require a SIN extension too. It is definitely mentally draining. I also find it confusing hearing about some people getting approved 1-2 weeks right after applying; I'm sure everyone's situation is different but we sure do hope there's more transparency that IRCC could provide us with ...

Reactions: fakelucio

Yo123

Aug 10, 2020
True , the worst scenario would be getting rejected after 189 days , I am clueless what will someone do in that scenario , it can be rejected for minor technical issues , it could be devastating as student permit would all be long expired for all.

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
True , the worst scenario would be getting rejected after 189 days , I am clueless what will someone do in that scenario , it can be rejected for minor technical issues , it could be devastating as student permit would all be long expired for all.
Yep that's my biggest fear to be honest :(

Reactions: dillym

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
So what happens if you get a rejection after 180 days? Can you appeal it or is there nothing you can do at that point?

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
So what happens if you get a rejection after 180 days? Can you appeal it or is there nothing you can do at that point?
From what I've heard from my school immigration consultant, students have to apply for PGWP within 180 days after graduation. If one is rejected after 180 days they need to find other ways to stay in Canada or leave.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
There are some students that didn't have a valid status when applied for PGWP, so they cannot work until get the PGWP, then they can have the job offer cancelled... I've heard they are analyzing process applied on April, on the other hand I know some people that got the PGWP in 2 weeks... This is a nightmare. The point is how about the spouse who is waiting for the PGWP of the student to apply to extend the OWP?

hackerman2020

Sep 2, 2020
This hits so close to home. I have been waiting for about 100 days now. I am fortunate to have a job with an employer who understands implied status, but even then I have been so worried about so much that can go wrong in case of a rejection. I guess it is natural for me to build up these negative scenarios in my head given how much time has elapsed since I started my daily routine of checking my CIC account. My mental health has deteriorated as a result. It sucks that I can finally afford a few things now that I could not as a student, yet I have to worry about whether it's wise to sign a 1-year lease in a nice place I can finally afford, get a good rate on an internet plan that requires a long term commitment, or just invest in any home appliance at all to make my life a little better. I know IRCC is overwhelmed with the disruption to their operations around the world and I am sure they are trying their best. All we can do is wait and hope that they are a bit more lenient on those of us who have to wait over 180 days for an answer, as we will be outside the time frame they expect us to re-apply within in case of a rejection.

hackerman2020

Sep 2, 2020
There are some students that didn't have a valid status when applied for PGWP, so they cannot work until get the PGWP, then they can have the job offer cancelled... I've heard they are analyzing process applied on April, on the other hand I know some people that got the PGWP in 2 weeks... This is a nightmare. The point is how about the spouse who is waiting for the PGWP of the student to apply to extend the OWP?
If All you are waiting for is the PGWP approval, and you are eligible to and work in an NOC 0, A or B job with 3 paychecks, you could look into my reponse in this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spouse-pgwp-and-open-work-permit-extension.700795/#post-8823792

IRCC does not explicitly mention that you can do that, however, with the COVID-19 measures, no application will be refused or closed due to being unable to submit required documents, and not being able to get a PGWP on time is something resulting from COVID-19 disruptions. In the past PGWP applicants who needed to apply for their SOWP right away would flagpole to have the work permit in hand to apply for the SOWP, but that is not possible at this time.