+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
If All you are waiting for is the PGWP approval, and you are eligible to and work in an NOC 0, A or B job with 3 paychecks, you could look into my reponse in this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spouse-pgwp-and-open-work-permit-extension.700795/#post-8823792

IRCC does not explicitly mention that you can do that, however, with the COVID-19 measures, no application will be refused or closed due to being unable to submit required documents, and not being able to get a PGWP on time is something resulting from COVID-19 disruptions. In the past PGWP applicants who needed to apply for their SOWP right away would flagpole to have the work permit in hand to apply for the SOWP, but that is not possible at this time.
He applied for his PGWP in May, almost 4 months ago. Now he has a job offer and the last 3 paychecks (from april), he will work in the same job that he was working when he finished his course. Now he is not working because he cannot, as he applied for PGWP on implied status (at that time he was waiting for his extension of Study permit). If I have to wait to receive his PGWP, my OP will expire. So, I am really concerned and I don't know if I should apply for my extension of OP with a letter of explanations. Thank you for your response.

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
You can appeal or re-apply, but it can take anything in between 5 days and 180 days and during this period you're basically a visitor and can't work.
From what I've heard from my school immigration consultant, students have to apply for PGWP within 180 days after graduation. If one is rejected after 180 days they need to find other ways to stay in Canada or leave.
Dang, all this uncertainty and anxiety just might take me out before we even get to 180 days.

hackerman2020

Sep 2, 2020
He applied for his PGWP in May, almost 4 months ago. Now he has a job offer and the last 3 paychecks (from april), he will work in the same job that he was working when he finished his course. Now he is not working because he cannot, as he applied for PGWP on implied status (at that time he was waiting for his extension of Study permit). If I have to wait to receive his PGWP, my OP will expire. So, I am really concerned and I don't know if I should apply for my extension of OP with a letter of explanations. Thank you for your response.
Seems like you are in a very unfortunate situation. At this point your best option seems like waiting for the approval of your spouse's PGWP. It might take until late-November/early December to get his PGWP, and will require you to first apply for and get a visitor record, and then apply for and get approved for a SOWP, which might take until next summer, who knows. If I was in your situation, I would do what you suggested, ie, really emphasize in the letter of explanation that your husband will continue to work full time in the same position he was employed in part time while he was a student (assuming it's NOC 0, A or B) and provide them with the offer letter along with paychecks from his past employment as a student. Also mention that you will submit a copy of your husbands PGWP and 3 paystubs after he begins work, and the only reason you don't have that in hand is due to COVID-19 related disruptions. There will be a time window between your husband receiving his PGWP, working for a few pay periods, and your work permit application to begin processing, and the time window will be quite big given that you will be submitting your application a lot later. Submit your husband's PGWP and the paychecks through the CIC Webform during that time. Officers are humans, they understand that COVID-19 related disruptions messed everything up for a lot of people, and when the officer has all they need to establish your eligibility when processing your application, I like to think that they would decide in your favor. Good luck! :)

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
This hits so close to home. I have been waiting for about 100 days now. I am fortunate to have a job with an employer who understands implied status, but even then I have been so worried about so much that can go wrong in case of a rejection. I guess it is natural for me to build up these negative scenarios in my head given how much time has elapsed since I started my daily routine of checking my CIC account. My mental health has deteriorated as a result. It sucks that I can finally afford a few things now that I could not as a student, yet I have to worry about whether it's wise to sign a 1-year lease in a nice place I can finally afford, get a good rate on an internet plan that requires a long term commitment, or just invest in any home appliance at all to make my life a little better. I know IRCC is overwhelmed with the disruption to their operations around the world and I am sure they are trying their best. All we can do is wait and hope that they are a bit more lenient on those of us who have to wait over 180 days for an answer, as we will be outside the time frame they expect us to re-apply within in case of a rejection.
I completely feel you dude. I have been going through the exact same for the past few months. Been feeling that my life is on hold even though I desperately want things to move forward. After all the years spent in university paid off, I'm finally in a good place with my dream job to explore all the missed opportunities in life that I couldn't afford financially or time-wise as a student. The scary and nagging thought of what I achieved after years of hard work might be washed down the drain any second is certainly not helping my mental health.

luminel

Aug 20, 2020
Just wanted to share my PGWP application timeline
Applied on March 15th without biometrics
Got approved on Sept. 10th
Congrats! It must be a relief after almost six months!

Honestly I relate to the anxiety everybody is feeling right now. I have been in my company's payroll for four years now so I don't worry too much about it (and I'm sure they would likely understand as they work in different countries), but I've been wanting to get a position in my field and can't risk that until I renew my SIN. Can't risk applying to another position within the company either because maybe a different department would look into my information. This is definitely changing my plans for the next two years. :(

Anshveer

Star Member
Mar 29, 2019
Anyone got approval in 7-10 days , i am talking about those who applied with biometrics living in canada.
I applied on 5th september.
I heard some people got in 10days

Reactions: Ajay. Goyal

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
True , the worst scenario would be getting rejected after 189 days , I am clueless what will someone do in that scenario , it can be rejected for minor technical issues , it could be devastating as student permit would all be long expired for all.
What would we do in this scenario ...Would we have time to change our status or leave the country as the study permit would expire by that time