+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

MoHadhrami

Jun 5, 2018
Just applied for PGWP, I already have Biometrics in my profile does this help? I also want to check if I can travel outside Canada if my TRV is valid until Aug 2021? I have completed my degree so the study permit will expire in 3 months..

Reactions: Guri01

Tarun092in

Aug 19, 2020
Hey guys, I am posting on behalf of my brother, he applied online on 7th February 2020, biometric completed, in Alberta and has 2 year study at Bow valley College. Till date he did not get any update. Is there anybody from same timelines? Any advice for him.
I applied on 7th feb too and still no updates

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Just applied for PGWP, I already have Biometrics in my profile does this help? I also want to check if I can travel outside Canada if my TRV is valid until Aug 2021? I have completed my degree so the study permit will expire in 3 months..
The travel restrictions are very stringent. Check this website to see what applies to your situation. If you read carefully, you will see that there is a lot of room for open interpretation. If you try to reenter Canada, you will be at the mercy of the border agents:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#foreign

Also yes, if they already have biometrics for you from your previous temporary residence permit application(s) your application will be processed more efficiently. Well, at least that's what we've noticed on this forum when comparing applications with biometrics vs without biometrics. It can be as quick as a 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: MoHadhrami

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Also yes, if they already have biometrics for you from your previous temporary residence permit application(s) your application will be processed more efficiently. Well, at least that's what we've noticed on this forum when comparing applications with biometrics vs without biometrics. It can be as quick as a 1-2 weeks.
That was before they made applicants in Canada exempt from biometrics. Now it looks like everyone is on the same boat, biometrics or not.

• Sad
Reactions: dillym

Ajay. Goyal

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
I think if they take 189 days for PGWP, it will beneficial for international students, as they well get more time to find job and complete PR related requirements. In this way, it may be blessings in disguise.

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
In a sense yes, but there are also people whose offers got cancelled by companies because they can’t obtain the permit on time. People looking for jobs now face challenges as implied status is frowned upon among many companies that don’t know better. The mental stress coming from waiting and the inability to getting health insurance in these trying times can be devastating. Taking more than 180 days to reach a decision means that if one gets rejected, they will not have a chance to apply again unless IRCC is willing to alter their policy.
My job offer luckily isn’t affected by my implied status and I have the luxury to be working full time since June. However, if I had been given a chance to choose, I’d take the approved permit right away. Waiting in a limbo not knowing if you can exist in a country legally is mentally draining, while many of us are also confronted with other issues in life (health, work, family wise)

nkczh22

Sep 10, 2020
In a sense yes, but there are also people whose offers got cancelled by companies because they can’t obtain the permit on time. People looking for jobs now face challenges as implied status is frowned upon among many companies that don’t know better. The mental stress coming from waiting and the inability to getting health insurance in these trying times can be devastating. Taking more than 180 days to reach a decision means that if one gets rejected, they will not have a chance to apply again unless IRCC is willing to alter their policy.
My job offer luckily isn’t affected by my implied status and I have the luxury to be working full time since June. However, if I had been given a chance to choose, I’d take the approved permit right away. Waiting in a limbo not knowing if you can exist in a country legally is mentally draining, while many of us are also confronted with other issues in life (health, work, family wise)
Agreed - a lot work benefits (additional insurance policies) depend on obtaining OHIP and there are many things that require a SIN extension too. It is definitely mentally draining. I also find it confusing hearing about some people getting approved 1-2 weeks right after applying; I'm sure everyone's situation is different but we sure do hope there's more transparency that IRCC could provide us with ...

Reactions: fakelucio

Yo123

Aug 10, 2020
True , the worst scenario would be getting rejected after 189 days , I am clueless what will someone do in that scenario , it can be rejected for minor technical issues , it could be devastating as student permit would all be long expired for all.

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
True , the worst scenario would be getting rejected after 189 days , I am clueless what will someone do in that scenario , it can be rejected for minor technical issues , it could be devastating as student permit would all be long expired for all.
Yep that's my biggest fear to be honest :(

Reactions: dillym

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
So what happens if you get a rejection after 180 days? Can you appeal it or is there nothing you can do at that point?