+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys, I am in a predicament and need your advice. I applied for my PGWP on 23rd July, and like most of you, I am waiting for my permit. I have to travel to India in November as my sister is getting married and I don't have the liberty to miss the occasion. I read somewhere that I can travel in and out of Canada with a Visiting Visa as I have the implied status of PGWP (I am currently searching for a job). It shows online that the current processing time for getting a visa from Canada is 50 days and the same from India is 144 days. I am hoping to apply for the visa inside Canada as it would give me the chance to return back soon. Is there any way to expedite the process? Can I write a letter to someone explaining my situation for faster processing?
Is your TRV still valid? You need to be granted PGWP to extend the TRV and will your study permit still be valid when coming back? It depends a lot on what the airline decides, they might insist on seeing a valid permit, I don't know how they operate exactly with covid.
In the good times before covid if you still had a valid TRV you could be allowed in as a student if SP was still valid, as a visitor or you could be granted PGWP right there at the airport.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
A query on the same note: Suppose if you are on the implied status and have a job, then can you go outside of Canada and return back to Canada and work?
technically yes, it'd be considered as essential travel, but ultimately it's up to CBSA's discretion on whether they'd allow you back or not

Reactions: rajpal02

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
A query on the same note: Suppose if you are on the implied status and have a job, then can you go outside of Canada and return back to Canada and work?
Implied status goes away once you leave Canada (except to the US), it is up to the point of entry officer to decide what status you will get on re-entry.

Reactions: rajpal02

LuckyandHappy

Sep 6, 2020
Hi guys, I am in a predicament and need your advice. I applied for my PGWP on 23rd July, and like most of you, I am waiting for my permit. I have to travel to India in November as my sister is getting married and I don't have the liberty to miss the occasion. I read somewhere that I can travel in and out of Canada with a Visiting Visa as I have the implied status of PGWP (I am currently searching for a job). It shows online that the current processing time for getting a visa from Canada is 50 days and the same from India is 144 days. I am hoping to apply for the visa inside Canada as it would give me the chance to return back soon. Is there any way to expedite the process? Can I write a letter to someone explaining my situation for faster processing?
I am in this situation since July. I had to come back to India for a family emergency. The processing time changed from 55 days to 197 days while I am here. The problem is not the processing time of TRV but stamping and biometrics as VFS Global centers are closed in India since March. They will prioritize your application if your travel is on the essential list. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing but without VFS, biometrics, and stamping become a hassle.

You can definitely work on Return if you have a valid visa: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15 but they might not allow you back unless you have a job because you have lost your residence by leaving in implied status. I have almost done a PhD on this in the last month. Things are very fuzzy on the implied status after you leave Canada with PGWP application.

Reactions: astraldust

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
You lose your implied status if you leave Canada

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Reactions: bongoman

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020
Hello guys,
Can one apply for OHIP after getting the PGWP approval letter or do we need to wait till we get the hard copy of PGWP ?
Thanks!
I think you have to wait until you get hard copy as the approval document says it not secured and not valid for majority of the purposes. It is just a notification document.

LuckyandHappy

Sep 6, 2020
You lose your implied status if you leave Canada

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html
Like I said it's quite confusing as this link doesn't match this answer: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

Reactions: astraldust

arun437

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I would like to know if there are any ways to increase the processing time of my PGWP application.
I've got a job offer and I'm not sure if they will accept me without a valid PGWP.