+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
Hey man, stop passing this information as it is actually false. As long as you have implied status, you can apply for a PGWP no problem, although you won't be eligible to work while you wait for the PGWP.

Again, you DONT need to pay for restoration of status since you didn't lose any status.

Source: Someone who applied (and got) and has seen people apply for PGWP on study permit extension implied status.
FYI This new addition to PGWP eligiblity application started in march 2020 , (do not Know exact date, but soneone posted here in this forum ) , but if you applied for PGWP on implied status before this rule came in effect , definately your application will be treated under previous guidelines.Thank you

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
Hey man, stop passing this information as it is actually false. As long as you have implied status, you can apply for a PGWP no problem, although you won't be eligible to work while you wait for the PGWP.

Again, you DONT need to pay for restoration of status since you didn't lose any status.

Source: Someone who applied (and got) and has seen people apply for PGWP on study permit extension implied status.
For more information pls read implied status on canada .ca in which they explained everything about the applications made on implied status .

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Hey man do you have an answer for my question? If my PGWP does not get processed by June 12th when my new study permit expires, would I have to leave Canada or can I stay until a decision is made?
Hey, you don't have to leave, no. You are still eligible to stay albeit without a well-defined status provided your application is pending. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
For more information pls read implied status on canada .ca in which they explained everything about the applications made on implied status .
Again this is false, on this very forum two people posted their experiences last month of applying for PGWP on implied status around February and getting it early April.

FYI This new addition to PGWP eligiblity application started in march 2020 , (do not Know exact date, but soneone posted here in this forum ) , but if you applied for PGWP on implied status before this rule came in effect , definately your application will be treated under previous guidelines.Thank you
And the new "rule" was updated to the PGWP application criteria on April 8th 2020, two months after both persons applied.

kikkat

Star Member
May 18, 2020
Hello guys, I am new to this thread
I applied for my PGWP on May 17th and I got the letter for Biometrics on May 18th. Does anyone have any idea as when service canada is going to reopen its office as its closed due to Covid-19

Last edited:

kikkat

Star Member
May 18, 2020
Hi All,

Need some clarifications. I applied for PGWP in mid April and received bio-metrics email the very next day. Since all the Service Canada offices are temporarily closed due to COVID-19 situation, I cannot book an appointment for bio-metrics.

My Questions are:
1. Can we request IRCC to skip the bio-metrics process because of COVID-19 situation as they introduced this process in Dec 2019?
2. If not, what are the alternatives if any?

My study permit will expire on May 15 and i guess i'll be on 'Implied status' afterwards. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Any update on your application? Thanks :)

Feelings92

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Hey guys I have applied my PGWP on 1st FEB and some of my friends who applied on same day got their PGWP within mention time period on Cic , whereas I didn’t get it yet , could it be a problem ?

sensai

May 12, 2020
I had applied for CO-OP work permit on Feb 14th and still haven't got any updates. Anyone else who has applied for CO-OP permit ? Could you please share timeliness?

MR12

Aug 26, 2019
Applied for PGWP on Aug 29, 2019
got approval , May 09, 2020

ALMOST 9 MONTHS TO PROCESS INLAND PGWP
, on the other hand normal time to process is 2 to 3 months.

Meanwhile, I called several times and literally begged (for update on status of application) and wrote several e-mails to IRCC. All of that donot matter them, they take their own sweet time to process application.
I did wait fingers crossed for last 5 months, I am locked down in Canada for 9 months without any status.

I do not know what to say today after approval, but certainly not felt good.

Nimble

Jan 23, 2020
Applied for PGWP on Aug 29, 2019
got approval , May 09, 2020

ALMOST 9 MONTHS TO PROCESS INLAND PGWP
, on the other hand normal time to process is 2 to 3 months.

Meanwhile, I called several times and literally begged (for update on status of application) and wrote several e-mails to IRCC. All of that donot matter them, they take their own sweet time to process application.
I did wait fingers crossed for last 5 months, I am locked down in Canada for 9 months without any status.

I do not know what to say today after approval, but certainly not felt good.

This is terrible and great at the same time. I am in the same place you were, applied October 24 still haven't heard after trying to correspond with IRCC for months. Finally got a message today (in French) telling me my case was moved to Edmonton processing centre. Is that where yours was sent?

Nimble

Jan 23, 2020
Hey man do you have an answer for my question? If my PGWP does not get processed by June 12th when my new study permit expires, would I have to leave Canada or can I stay until a decision is made?

Not sure if you've heard this yet but DO NOT LEAVE. You are under implied status (same restrictions as whatever permit you are currently under) until a decision is made on your new permit. Old rules were you lost that status when you left the country. New rule from February says you can still work if you return after leaving but I think you may still lose your official implied status if you do.