+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
Hey guys I have a quick question regarding after I got my PGWP:
Wondering
about TRV application: Will I get my visa for as long as my PGWP?
And also do any of you have to get biometrics done as well? One time I filled ikn thier questionnaire and no biometrics were needed but now I filled it again and now I have to do biometrics which is another $85 to do on top of visa cost itself.
I am just a bit confused here, please help
I think they've started to ask for biometrics since last year even for applicants in Canada.
Here is the link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp
IMO, it's better to have biometrics now since it lasts for several years. You'll end up doing it anyway in the future.

Could Anybody pls share link to check processing time for PGWP
Here is the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Temporary Residence > Work Permit Exentions (for PGWP applications)

Please anyone answer... What can I do if I don't have any answer since the 1st of october... Help please
It all depends on the officer handling the applications.. You can always send an online webform to request about your PGWP or you can just wait for few more days until you get an update.
I applied on Oct 08 (mail) and have a friend who applied Oct 15 (online) but still no updates yet.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
By no answers I mean they still haven't started the eligibility check.. And they answered to people that applied 2 weeks after me .. I don't get it
It is not first come first serve. people with complete documents will be processed faster. people with missing or difficult to verify documents will take a longer time.

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
Hey folks,

Just submitted my PGWP a couple of days ago. It says that they're performing a "Background check" right now, and will be asking for more information if needed.

I personally haven't had background checks done while I sent my applications for Study permit extension and TRV, Should I be concerned, or is it just common for PGWP applications?

vr666

Apr 5, 2018
I'm gonna share my story here.
Applied:October 13 2019
Approved:January 15 2020

Started my undergraduate since September 2014, it was quite challenging for me at the beginning, I even failed a few courses. Then I made a mistake, in order to prevent myself from failing more courses, I reduced my course load for 2 semesters (part time). Foolish me, I didn't know that was gonna impact my pgwp. I did catch up later and stay full time till I finished my undergraduate. That's the first mistake. Another mistake, I confused the 180 days window with the 90 days window, when I applied for pgwp, I was at some point between day 91 to day 179. I could still apply for a pgwp, but I already lost my status, foolish me again. So I launched my pgwp application and status restoration application at the same time. I wrote the best explanation letter I could, I even had one of my previous professors wrote me a letter to indicate that I was working hard, it's just quite challenging for me at the beginning. I totally lost hope to be honest. Then, I got my pgwp today, I'm extremely happy. I don't want to name my school for the sake of privacy, just let you know I was under social science department.

My advice, for those who are struggling, don't do part time semesters, just don't. In my case, I'm extremely lucky, but having part time semesters is quite risky. Also, plan ahead and don't leave anything to the last minute. Yes, you have up to 180 days to apply for pgwp, but keep in mind you will lose your study permit automatically 90 days. I'm sure most of you know this. Anyway, good luck with that. My case is a special one, again, don't make my mistake.

Reactions: Kay2018 and jvnjie

jvnjie

Oct 22, 2019

Started my undergraduate since September 2014, it was quite challenging for me at the beginning, I even failed a few courses. Then I made a mistake, in order to prevent myself from failing more courses, I reduced my course load for 2 semesters (part time). Foolish me, I didn't know that was gonna impact my pgwp. I did catch up later and stay full time till I finished my undergraduate. That's the first mistake. Another mistake, I confused the 180 days window with the 90 days window, when I applied for pgwp, I was at some point between day 91 to day 179. I could still apply for a pgwp, but I already lost my status, foolish me again. So I launched my pgwp application and status restoration application at the same time. I wrote the best explanation letter I could, I even had one of my previous professors wrote me a letter to indicate that I was working hard, it's just quite challenging for me at the beginning. I totally lost hope to be honest. Then, I got my pgwp today, I'm extremely happy. I don't want to name my school for the sake of privacy, just let you know I was under social science department.

My advice, for those who are struggling, don't do part time semesters, just don't. In my case, I'm extremely lucky, but having part time semesters is quite risky. Also, plan ahead and don't leave anything to the last minute. Yes, you have up to 180 days to apply for pgwp, but keep in mind you will lose your study permit automatically 90 days. I'm sure most of you know this. Anyway, good luck with that. My case is a special one, again, don't make my mistake.
Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your stories and timeline. I have to apply for the pgwp and restoration at the same time as well on Oct 24th. This is my second time applying cause there was a dumb mistake i made in the first application. Luckily it was still in the 180 days time frame. Right now the processing is getting near, i keep my fingers crossed! :)

vr666

Apr 5, 2018
Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your stories and timeline. I have to apply for the pgwp and restoration at the same time as well on Oct 24th. This is my second time applying cause there was a dumb mistake i made in the first application. Luckily it was still in the 180 days time frame. Right now the processing is getting near, i keep my fingers crossed! :)
Best luck with you, my friend.

Reactions: jvnjie

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Can you explain the 90 day and 180 day rule to me? With pgwps taking as long as 100 days, a rejection on your first pgwp applications means you would have to leave the country?

omairs

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Hi. I need some expert advice..
I had applied for study permit back in November 2019 for winter 2020 session but unfortunately I missed this intake and deferred my program to next intake. My study permit is still in process, although I applied under SDS from Pakistan. My college/program is eligible for PGWP and my LOA states that I should apply for work permit along with my study permit. I haven't applied for work permit yet.. My questions are,
1. Can I apply for work permit now? As my study permit is still in process. If yes, then how? I checked from eligibility check from cic online services and it asked me if I have a written offer from an employer.. so i don't have an offer at this time. But at the same time if I select yes for offer letter, it didn't ask me for any supporting docs in the document checklist for work permit.

2. Should I apply for work permit or not at this time?

Guidance would be appreciated!

omairs

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Hi. I need some expert advice..
I had applied for study permit back in November 2019 for winter 2020 session but unfortunately I missed this intake and deferred my program to next intake. My study permit is still in process, although I applied under SDS from Pakistan. My college/program is eligible for PGWP and my LOA states that I should apply for work permit along with my study permit. I haven't applied for work permit yet.. My questions are,
1. Can I apply for work permit now? As my study permit is still in process. If yes, then how? I checked from eligibility check from cic online services and it asked me if I have a written offer from an employer.. so i don't have an offer at this time. But at the same time if I select yes for offer letter, it didn't ask me for any supporting docs in the document checklist for work permit.

2. Should I apply for work permit or not at this time?

Guidance would be appreciated!

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021

That's amazing. Happy for you.