+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

soledad

Star Member
Jul 24, 2018
Hi, finally I got mine approved this morning:

applied online on May 31 with my two boys' study permits and my husband's temporary visitor permit.
all given for 3 years until July 31, 2021, but my elder son who is going to post-secondary next year got his until November 2019. I heard when you go to post-secondary level, you need to apply for a new study permit, so it makes sense.

Thanks all and good luck to everybody!

Reactions: Chloehuynh

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hello....

Is work permit equal to the legth of your study ? I mean if we do 1 year thn we got 1 year or 3 year work permit ?
Yeah if you study for 1 yera you get one year pgwp. But if you study for 2 years without any semester break you get 3 years pgwp.

Reactions: njas

maxi700

Aug 1, 2018
How long does the paper document (work permit) take to come?
It seems official timings are 6 weeks as mentioned on the approval letter. I read on another forum that last year someone got it 1 month after the approval. I got approval on 23rd july but still waiting for the hard copy.

What about you? Have you received it yet?

Chloehuynh

Jul 24, 2018
Hi, finally I got mine approved this morning:

applied online on May 31 with my two boys' study permits and my husband's temporary visitor permit.
all given for 3 years until July 31, 2021, but my elder son who is going to post-secondary next year got his until November 2019. I heard when you go to post-secondary level, you need to apply for a new study permit, so it makes sense.

Thanks all and good luck to everybody!
Congrats to your family! i did apply at the same time as yours but still nothing from CIC. I am getting worry now. our status was expired yesterday.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
It seems official timings are 6 weeks as mentioned on the approval letter. I read on another forum that last year someone got it 1 month after the approval. I got approval on 23rd july but still waiting for the hard copy.

What about you? Have you received it yet?
Yeah i received it. Got approved on 23rd july. Received work permit in mail on 29th.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Is there anyone who can tell me that how long does it take to get a decision on TRV application inside canada. And once the passport is requested, how long does it take to get your passport back from the day you send it for stamping.

sherlyn123

May 3, 2018
Hi guys!
I'm planning to do one year course this september 2018 intake which will end by April end. Am i eligible for 3 years work permit if i do another course in september 2019. There will be 4 months gap in between studies.

Any insight on this is highly appreciated.

Reactions: njas

njas

Star Member
Jul 16, 2018
I
Hi guys!
I'm planning to do one year course this september 2018 intake which will end by April end. Am i eligible for 3 years work permit if i do another course in september 2019. There will be 4 months gap in between studies.

If ur course length is 1 year thn u will rcv only 1 year PGWP !!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys!

You should get 3 years if you combine 2 one year programs, this is clearly stated in the rules. However the rules about gap in between are not very clear and a lot will depend on the officer looking at your case, some people have reported getting one year only and then you have to try and appeal the decision. I also don't know if you can work during this gap.
Make sure you submit correct documents from both programs and explain clearly and politely that you expect to get 3 year PGWP in an additional letter.

more than one program
  • a PGWP may be valid for up to three years, for example, if you finished a diploma or degree from an eligible school in Canada, and within the next two years you get a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible school in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
hey guys,

My PGWP application was refused because I applied 10 days after my study permit expired.

I arrived in Canada December of 2012, studied at SFU for over 5 years and graduated this April. In the last 5.5 years I not only studied and paid thousands of dollars in taxes to the government, I also worked here, met hundreds of people and most importantly made my life here. I gave over 5 years to Canada, to be "eligible" to find a career here. And now they want to kick me out because I applied 10 days too late?

Need help. Need advise. This sucks.
restore your your status as student.. but the problem is that u must apply within 90 days after u completed your study

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
I need help
I got my Work permit yesterday. And I am going to apply for my TRV today inside canada.
The thing here is i require medical and my medical was done last year (2017) on july 11. I submitted the same for my work permit, i got appoved on 24th july.
In 2017 i applied for my student visa from canada on 29th july and goy approved on 14th August. Now i read this thing on Cic website

Medical certificates for applicants who pass a medical examination in or outside Canada are valid for twelve months from the date of the last medical assessment of an applicant’s file by a medical officer and/or delegated staff.

There is no expiry date of medical validity for applicants who are inadmissible.

Starting Date for Calculating the 12 Month Validity Period of a Medical Certificate: the last medical assessment on file is the starting date for the 12 month validity of a medical certificate.”
A medical assessment is the review of an applicant’s medical file by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) medical officer or delegated staff.

Validity period of a medical certificate
The validity period is 12 months from the date of the last medical assessment.

Now as my file was submitted on 29 july to CIC. My medical must have been assessed between july 29, 2017 to 14 august, 2017.

Which means it may be still valid.
And i may use it if I submit my file for trv today.

Please give suggestions and your opinion.
You dont need Medical again, have you lived in designated country in last 5 years, just give answer as "NO"

vv14

Jul 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

I applied on 21st June, 2018. Please let me know if anyone who applied in mid june heard back from CIC?

Thanks!