+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

fine5318

Jan 13, 2023
It looks like the September application is also being approved.
I applied on June 26th; when will it be approved?
I uploaded the web form once, but I don't know if I should do it again.
My application NO. W3064.....

eliochalamet

Jan 11, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-08-2020
Med's Done....
08-02-2020
It looks like the September application is also being approved.
I applied on June 26th; when will it be approved?
I uploaded the web form once, but I don't know if I should do it again.
My application NO. W3064.....
I've submitted a webform yesterday as well. (August 03, 2022 applicant, 3067 series)
I'm wondering if you got any replies? An updated WP-EXT letter?

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
I am not an immigration expert but will try to answer your questions based on my limited knowledge.

From your earlier thread, it seems that you are on maintained status as you had applied for a study permit extension before the initial one expires. You opted for an extension because you hadn't completed your thesis requirement or received the completion letter.

Your questions:
1. Is it breaking any IRCC guidelines if I wait to get the results of the study permit extension application after the completion of my program AND the expiry of my existing study permit?
Nope, I don't think so as you can continue to be enrolled in your program, including waiting for the result. As long as you are on the maintained status and have sufficient proof of a pending thesis requirement post-expiry of your initial study permit.

- What about after receiving final results (while being on maintained status)? I don't think one will have further semesters to enrol after receiving the results. My question was whether it would be illegal to remain in Canada without studying after completion of the program (while being on maintained status due to pending results for an SP extension application). I'm asking this because if I apply for a PGWP on maintained status, I lose the ability to work until I get the outcome of the PGWP application. I know if one applies for a PGWP when being on a valid Study Permit, they can continue working right after applying for PGWP (as you've explained below in Q3).

2. Do I have to register for the upcoming semester if I submit an extension? Or is it okay not to register for the next term while requesting a "bridging" study permit extension (as they mention many university guidelines for immigration)?
I believe that if you have a pending thesis requirement then you will have to register for the upcoming semester. I am not sure about the registration requirement in case of a "bridging" study permit extension. So please consult your university graduate/undergraduate office or international office about it.

- What if I receive my final results before the start of the next term (Spring - Starting by May, 2nd Week) and by the end of the current term (Winter - ending by April, 3rd week)? Will there still be an expectation to continue pursuing studies, or I can just not register and continue waiting for SP extension outcome?

3. If I apply for a PGWP application after getting the outcome of a study extension application (however, after the expiry of my existing study permit AND completion of my studies), will it allow me to continue being eligible to work?
I don't understand what you mean here. If I understand correctly, yes, you can continue to work with your study permit extension till you don't receive your final PGWP. Additionally, after applying for PGWP you will receive a WP-EXT (IMM 0127e) letter that authorizes you to work full-time. But I will point out that you can only apply for a PGWP if you have a valid study permit status.

- I think this makes sense, as long as I apply for a PGWP while having a valid SP permit/or after approval of SP extension, and not while I'm on a maintained status.

Best of Luck.
Thanks, mate! Appreciate your responses. I have provided some more information on my initial post.