+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate

A

abdisarockstar

Sorry to interrupt in between but my brother in law has been in Canada for the past 5 years(his eligibility period). He went to India for 4 months once in between those years, once to Thailand for 7 days and once to USA for 5 days.

My question is does he need police clearance for Canada at all?

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Sorry to interrupt in between but my brother in law has been in Canada for the past 5 years(his eligibility period). He went to India for 4 months once in between those years, once to Thailand for 7 days and once to USA for 5 days.

My question is does he need police clearance for Canada at all?
So he spent:
4 months in India = 125 days
in Thailand = 7 days
in USA = 5 days

So No, he will not need Police certificate.

The requirement is 183 days in last 4 years in ONE single country.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Guys i am in the same boat. I came to Canada as a PR in Aug 2014. So now I am eligible to apply for Citizenship.

And I read the 4 yr Police certificate rule. And I was like 'Oh man!' cause I know it is lengthy process to get Police certiticate from home. You have to bribe officers or else they won't release your documents etc etc.

But in the end I thought to myself "Is there any other way?". I would say NO.

So just get on with it, and start the process of getting your Police certificate. ;)

Reactions: OsamaR
A

abdisarockstar

So he spent:
4 months in India = 125 days
in Thailand = 7 days
in USA = 5 days

So No, he will not need Police certificate.

The requirement is 183 days in last 4 years in ONE single country.
Thanks for your response.

But doesn't it mention that you need the police clearance in every country of residence? A little confused here

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks for your response.

But doesn't it mention that you need the police clearance in every country of residence? A little confused here
1. Every country that you have spent 183 days in the past 4 years, you would require a Police certificate.

Dec 9, 2009
What is the logic behind this 183 days in last 4 years need PCC if he has to commit a crime in that Country 1 day is more than sufficient and the PR's before coming already submitted PCC how it will expire and after coming to Canada he did not leave the Country where is the question of committing a crime there. I don't know who fool made this rule and so many other fools are justifying it.

Patrik BC

Oct 13, 2017
[
What is the logic behind this 183 days in last 4 years need PCC if he has to commit a crime in that Country 1 day is more than sufficient and the PR's before coming already submitted PCC how it will expire and after coming to Canada he did not leave the Country where is the question of committing a crime there. I don't know who fool made this rule and so many other fools are justifying it.
There is no logic otherwise you need to imply that everybody that was granted PR status upon landing in Canada is a possible criminal because there is no PCC between the time they received the PR visa and the time they arrived in Canada which makes it absurd.

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
Yes you are right Patrick it is absurd then why this government allowing such PR's to live here for 3 continuous years and then asking them to submit PCC at the time to making Citizenship application. Legally there is no difference between a PR and Citizen except right to vote and contest the election an all other matters PR are equal to Citizen.
I totally agreed what 21685 said that the rule of PCC is unjust unfair and unreasonable and it should go away. Once a PR landed in Canada he should be presumed to be a clean person.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Guys sometimes, we don't like the rules. And getting Police certificate is time-consuming and painful.
I came to Canada in 2014, i had to submit Police clearance then. Now I am in Canada for 3 years, and again they are asking for Police certificate. It does not make any sense. But nonetheless we all decided to come to Canada and make it our country. So we should not question the regulations here.

So I said it earlier on this thread, instead of thinking "why?", start thinking "How?" and finish the process.

Reactions: OsamaR

Patrik BC

Oct 13, 2017
Guys sometimes, we don't like the rules. And getting Police certificate is time-consuming and painful.
I came to Canada in 2014, i had to submit Police clearance then. Now I am in Canada for 3 years, and again they are asking for Police certificate. It does not make any sense. But nonetheless we all decided to come to Canada and make it our country. So we should not question the regulations here.

So I said it earlier on this thread, instead of thinking "why?", start thinking "How?" and finish the process.
There is no rule stating you should submit a PCC for the period of time prior becoming a PR. That rule is in place for people with student visa, working visa, temporary resident status etc, because they did not went through the same background check as a person who applied for immigration from his native country.
I work in law enforcement and during my hiring process they took into consideration the background check done while I was going through the immigration process. For security check purposes I was not requested to submit a PCC because the one I submitted during my immigration process was still valid and covered the specific period of time.

Newb

Oct 5, 2017
Below is from CIC wbsite:-

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:
  • are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
  • have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.
My question is for Police certificate issued for "have lived there in the past" is there any validity like should be issued within six months or not?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
There is no rule stating you should submit a PCC for the period of time prior becoming a PR. That rule is in place for people with student visa, working visa, temporary resident status etc, because they did not went through the same background check as a person who applied for immigration from his native country.
I work in law enforcement and during my hiring process they took into consideration the background check done while I was going through the immigration process. For security check purposes I was not requested to submit a PCC because the one I submitted during my immigration process was still valid and covered the specific period of time.
There is NO support for this in the context of a citizenship application. Your experience in the hiring process for law enforcement, in particular, is NOT relevant to the citizenship application process.

Applicants should read and follow the instructions in the form and guide. They clearly state that those who have spent 183 or more days in another country within the preceding four years need to check "yes" when responding to item 10.b. A simple calculation. The FAQs confirm this.

If the applicant checks "yes" the applicant needs to either include the police certificate or give an explanation. If the applicant does not do one or the other, the application will most likely be returned to the applicant as incomplete.

An applicant who concurs in what you propose could check "no" and add a supplemental page to the application, explaining that the reason for the "no" check is that the applicant has not spent 183 days in another country since landing and becoming a PR, and see how that goes. It might pass.

But just checking "no" could be construed to be a misrepresentation if the applicant has, in fact, spent 183 or more days in another country within the FOUR years that count. Checking "yes" and not providing a certificate or explanation will render the application incomplete.

BUT it is true that there is NO rule, as such, that citizenship applicants should submit a PCC for the time prior to becoming a PR. In fact there is NO rule that any applicants must submit a PCC at all.

But to make a complete application, to have an application for citizenship processed, IRCC can and does require some applicants to submit a PCC upfront, with the application.

That is, the rules are that an applicant is prohibited from a grant of citizenship if the applicant has been convicted of an offence in another country within the preceding four years, and that IRCC has broad discretion in adopting policy and practices to enforce such requirements, including authority to require applicants provide certain information to allow IRCC to assess the applicant's qualifications, and to require applicants meeting certain criteria to submit a PCC UPFRONT with the application. It is pursuant to this authority that IRCC requires applicants to declare whether they have spent a total of 183 or more days in a country within the preceding four years, and likewise to require any applicant who has to submit a PCC upfront with the application. Thus of course IRCC can also waive this, generally or individually. An applicant can ask for such a waiver, in effect, by submitting an explanation in one of the multiple ways I describe above.

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:
  • are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
  • have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.
My question is for Police certificate issued for "have lived there in the past" is there any validity like should be issued within six months or not?
Most of the IRCC website information about police certificates is relevant for visa applications rather than citizenship applications. The information about how to obtain a police certificate is the same for both types. But who must submit a police certificate is not the same for citizenship applicants as it is for visa applicants.

In particular, in the citizenship context it is NOT about residing or living in another country. The criteria for who must submit a certificate is based on days present in a country. In particular, a citizenship applicant could be required to submit a certificate from a country where the applicant NEVER LIVED. A person who regularly goes to the U.S. Friday to Sunday, twice a month, and never spends more than a couple whole days in the U.S. at a time, will nonetheless need to provide a U.S. police certificate (3 days X twice/month X 4 years = way more than 183 days).

Last I looked, there was no IRCC information about how current the police certificate must be for a citizenship application. But the information for visa applicants offers some guidance. Thus, a certificate that is less than six months old should suffice even if the applicant has returned to that country within the last six months. A certificate more recent than the last time the applicant was present in that country should suffice. Thus an older certificate may work. But who has such an original police certificate to submit? (Note that one of the alternatives I have discussed, for the applicant who came to Canada less than four years ago, who was in his or her home country for more than 183 days in the preceding four years, but none of those days have been since coming to Canada, could try explaining this rather than submit a police certificate . . . but how that will actually go is uncertain . . . worst case scenario is the application is returned and the applicant will have an opportunity to re-submit it with a police certificate, but IRCC might accept this.)

Reactions: ChippyBoy