+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate (Multiple required) confusion

Reshma Asrani

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hi,

My spouse and I are currently on month 6 of our application process. My husband (applicant) sent a police certificate from the country where he currently lives and has lived his whole life, except for a year he went away for college in another country. CIC originally asked for one police certificate, is it possible that they’re going to ask for a second police certificate from the country he studied in? We’ve been waiting for the request but we’re on month 6 and they still haven’t asked for it. Can anyone help us out with this??
You definitely need a PCC if you have had a stay > 6 months(and if you have mentioned in your application) and that is clearly mentioned in the T&C. I request you to call up cic, because as you have already submitted, you might not be able to submit again but understand the process by confirming. Once you get a confirmation, please get the PCC for that country as well and submit it. But I assume, as the application is not straight forward it might take time for CIC and they will surely revert back to you asking for PCC. But please do get it checked by calling, to avoid any rejection because of misssim documents.

Jelvuk

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
You definitely need a PCC if you have had a stay > 6 months(and if you have mentioned in your application) and that is clearly mentioned in the T&C. I request you to call up cic, because as you have already submitted, you might not be able to submit again but understand the process by confirming. Once you get a confirmation, please get the PCC for that country as well and submit it. But I assume, as the application is not straight forward it might take time for CIC and they will surely revert back to you asking for PCC. But please do get it checked by calling, to avoid any rejection because of misssim documents.
In our email from CIC it specifically said to send a police certificate only from the country where we have spent most of our adult life since the age of 18 and that all others would be requested if needed.

Reshma Asrani

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
In our email from CIC it specifically said to send a police certificate only from the country where we have spent most of our adult life since the age of 18 and that all others would be requested if needed.
Ohh so your husband had a stay in another country before 18? I guess, then that's fine.. if it's after 18, you should get it confirmed to avoid risk..

Jelvuk

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Ohh so your husband had a stay in another country before 18? I guess, then that's fine.. if it's after 18, you should get it confirmed to avoid risk..
No.. he was 18 at the time. I just remember in an email when asking for sched A they said only a police certificate from the country where he currently lives is needed. I really hope they don’t return the application because of this.

Jelvuk

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Reading our email from CIC again. It says to send a PPC from the country where applicant currently lives and the country where he/she has spent most of his adult life since the age of 18. If the country is the same, you only need to submit one police certificate at this time. They will contact us if they additional police certificates.

Spending a year in a different country 9 years ago does not count as spending most of your adult life there. They will most likely ask for the PCC but it was not required to send up front. I

Reshma Asrani

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
No.. he was 18 at the time. I just remember in an email when asking for sched A they said only a police certificate from the country where he currently lives is needed. I really hope they don’t return the application because of this.
Yeah, I guess so.. I wish you good luck then!! :) And please relax, your application might take time if it is complex. By complex, I mean - multiple jobs with multiple NOCs, hence multiple reference letter, multiple countries and cities stay and a lot more. Mine was quite simple, 1 company, 1 NOC, 1 country 2 places only, clear PoFs, my IELTS score and Wes assessment. I got my copr in 40 days after submitting my application. I wish you good luck!!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Reading this thread and a bit confused now. I also had the multiple thing, but the thing is, my country actually provides two different certificates (and they are requested by the CIC), a police and a court one basically. So I thought that was that, attached those two and went on my way.

It also says we should provide a police certificate from the country we currently live in, if we have lived there for more than 6 months. I have now been in Canada for almost 5 months so I didn't include it because I thought it's basically only counting from when you essentially moved to Canada to get married and start the PR process. With all my previous visits to my sponsor, I've definitely spent more than 6 months in Canada. So should I have gotten a Canadian PCC? Is it okay to just wait and see if they request it?

Glaciergal

May 3, 2018
Reading our email from CIC again. It says to send a PPC from the country where applicant currently lives and the country where he/she has spent most of his adult life since the age of 18. If the country is the same, you only need to submit one police certificate at this time. They will contact us if they additional police certificates.

Spending a year in a different country 9 years ago does not count as spending most of your adult life there. They will most likely ask for the PCC but it was not required to send up front. I
Thats what it said in my email too. I am confused if I need to only submit one pcc as I have lived in Dubai for the past 5 years but most of my adult life was spent in Pakistan. Not sure if I should submit one from Dubai as well since they say where you have spent "most" of your adult

mastiff78

May 8, 2018
Thats what it said in my email too. I am confused if I need to only submit one pcc as I have lived in Dubai for the past 5 years but most of my adult life was spent in Pakistan. Not sure if I should submit one from Dubai as well since they say where you have spent "most" of your adult
I am in the same dilemma as well because my wife (US Citizen) has spent more than 6 months in Nepal but more than a decade ago! I am wondering if I should submit only FBI certificate and wait for CIC to request additional PCC once they start the background check. At the same time, I don't want to risk CIC returning my application because Nepal PCC was not submitted. I wish it was more clear rather than just generic PCC request.

Crizza

Jun 14, 2018
Did the request specify the country they want? In either case, they'll likely want one from the Netherlands, since you were there for an extended period of time.

I can speak to the process as my fiancee, the PA, lived in the Netherlands for one year. She is a US citizen and was there as part of her studies. According to IRCC's guides, we did not need to submit the Netherlands Police Report with our application, only her FBI Background Check (from the US).

Once IRCC began to conduct her Background Check (per MyCIC), she received an email from IRCC requesting the police check from the Netherlands - called a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG). The reason we couldn't do it proactively is because the Netherlands needs a copy of IRCC's request in order to process it.

The email from IRCC details what you need to do to get the certificate. All the info can be found on the Netherlands Ministry of Justice site (it's also in English). Look for "Certificate of Good Conduct", which is called "Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag" in Dutch.

Under section 2.3, check of box 06 (visa and emigration). Also, in section 1.1, the form has a box for "Prefix to surname". We had put "Ms.", but later found out that it's for "van", "van der", etc, which are common in Dutch surnames. Oops! :p But they corrected it lol.

Before you send off your application, you'll need to prepay the fee (€41.35). As we are both in Canada, we needed a wire transfer from our bank. If you're in Sweden, it may be quicker. But get the confirmation of the transfer in writing. You need a copy of IRCC's email request, the completed application form, a copy of the PA's passport and a copy of the fee payment.

You can email the package, which I would highly recommend. We followed up a week later (called the Ministry and they spoke perfect English) and it was already processed and mailed :eek: . We got it in just over a week ;D

Then you scan and reply to IRCC with the attached certificate. You don't need it translated as the bottom portion is in English.

Hope this helps!

Crizza

Jun 14, 2018
H

Hello!
I just want to know how did you pay for the vog? In the wire transfer they will ask for the address of the bank in Amsterdam! What did u put? And also what did you put on the prefix van or vander?thank u!

karachi-pakistan

Apr 12, 2016
Edmonton, AB, CA
Hi guys,

I have a similar question; I am applying for my wife's sponsorship too and need to confirm if only one police certificate is required from her home country or two (address where she lived before and after marriage). Her country, infact the city, of residence remained the same.

Please share your opinions...