+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police certificate in canada

prove1989

May 28, 2016
Hi,
my husband is sponsoring me, I am currently in Canada, and I have been here in Canada for the last 3 years.
Do I need to get a Canadian police certificate or not?
I was an international student, now I am on post graduate work permit.

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

How to get a police certificate - Canada
Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? NO

prove1989

May 28, 2016
ok,

thank you canuck_in_uk!
cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada here it says to get Criminal Record Check, do I need it? I dont see any information about that in Checklist. Checklist mentions police certificates but not Criminal record check.

I am sorry for all these questions I am just really confused.

nightriderx

Dec 4, 2016
prove1989 said:
ok,

thank you canuck_in_uk!
cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada here it says to get Criminal Record Check, do I need it? I dont see any information about that in Checklist. Checklist mentions police certificates but not Criminal record check.

your link don't work

The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed. If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions. You must bring:

copy paste from Canuck link

you only provide the criminal record if they ask for it

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
prove1989 said:
ok,

thank you canuck_in_uk!

Here is IRCC's answer to help: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=037&top=4

sany2317

Jul 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Im confused by the information on the link you guys provided and the letter CIC provided to me after I linked my paper application online. The letter mentioned:

This refers to your application for permanent residence under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.

We require the following item(s) to continue processing your application:

 You must complete the Schedule A Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) form which is found at the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/eIMM5669E.pdf

You and all of your family members aged 18 or older (if applicable) must submit this form. This must be received at this office by: 2017/09/07

 At this time, you need to provide a police certificate for:

1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and

2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

I have lived in Canada for almost four years, does not 1) mean I need to apply for a Canadian police certificate??

Thanks

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Hi guys,

Im confused by the information on the link you guys provided and the letter CIC provided to me after I linked my paper application online. The letter mentioned:

This refers to your application for permanent residence under the Family Class or under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.

 You must complete the Schedule A Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) form which is found at the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/eIMM5669E.pdf

You and all of your family members aged 18 or older (if applicable) must submit this form. This must be received at this office by: 2017/09/07

1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and

2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

I have lived in Canada for almost four years, does not 1) mean I need to apply for a Canadian police certificate??

Thanks
Yes, they are asking for the police certificate from Canada as well as the country where you spent the most time since your 18th birthday

adt83

Oct 5, 2015
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
23-01-2017
AOR Received.
02/14/2017
File Transfer...
10-02-2017
Med's Done....
Done Upfront
Interview........
06/10/2017
Passport Req..
06/10/2017
VISA ISSUED...
06/10/2017
LANDED..........
23/09/2017
Hi guys,

Thanks
I think it's best to get one... even if you end up not needing it. I believe it's free if it's required for immigration purposes- you just need to be in Canada to submit the prints electronically without the cost of a 3rd party doing it for you. I especially recommend doing it, if for whatever reason you have a fingerprint match in the system because then the results can take forever to get (ie: my husband has a match and we've been not so patiently waiting since mid May for his results).

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I think it's best to get one... even if you end up not needing it. I believe it's free if it's required for immigration purposes- you just need to be in Canada to submit the prints electronically without the cost of a 3rd party doing it for you. I especially recommend doing it, if for whatever reason you have a fingerprint match in the system because then the results can take forever to get (ie: my husband has a match and we've been not so patiently waiting since mid May for his results).
They arent free. We paid almost 100 dollars. Just because immigration needs it diesnt mean its free. If youre unsure of the request email your vo for clarification but its definitely asking for those police certificates

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
They arent free. We paid almost 100 dollars. Just because immigration needs it diesnt mean its free. If youre unsure of the request email your vo for clarification but its definitely asking for those police certificates
We actually realized that we need to get Police certificate, it is so stressful, my deadline is November 11th. At the start, when I read Guide 5525, I thought that I just need to get PC in my country where I had lived before I went to Canada in March with visitor visa. But now, according to CIC letter, I understand it better that my husband has to get PC too, and because I have lived here for more than 6 months so I have to get PC in Canada as well! We live in Quebec, so by chance, do you know any service to get PC quickly?

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
We actually realized that we need to get Police certificate, it is so stressful, my deadline is November 11th. At the start, when I read Guide 5525, I thought that I just need to get PC in my country where I had lived before I went to Canada in March with visitor visa. But now, according to CIC letter, I understand it better that my husband has to get PC too, and because I have lived here for more than 6 months so I have to get PC in Canada as well! We live in Quebec, so by chance, do you know any service to get PC quickly?
@Trinh
As my experienced, i also applied PR inland while i came to Canada as TRV. I only submitted police check from my country only since most i spent my live there :) and we got email again from CIC next 6months to submit police check again from country (bcs its valid for 6months only)..

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
@Trinh
As my experienced, i also applied PR inland while i came to Canada as TRV. I only submitted police check from my country only since most i spent my live there :) and we got email again from CIC next 6months to submit police check again from country (bcs its valid for 6months only)..
Yes, I got PC in my country on June so I hope that it is still good when we send it in November. How about PC in Canada? Can you please tell me how to get it fast? I read the instruction and feel like it will take a few months to get it!!! :(

"
If you live in Canada:

The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed. If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions. You must bring:

• A full electronic set of fingerprints on form C-216C taken by one of these accredited companies or police services
  • A complete application form (available on the RCMP website)
  • Reason for your request (eg. For immigration)
  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Sex
  • Mailing address
  • Phone number (and/or fax number and/or e-mail address)
  • Applicable fees"

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
Yes, I got PC in my country on June so I hope that it is still good when we send it in November. How about PC in Canada? Can you please tell me how to get it fast? I read the instruction and feel like it will take a few months to get it!!! :(

"
If you live in Canada:

• A full electronic set of fingerprints on form C-216C taken by one of these accredited companies or police services
  • A complete application form (available on the RCMP website)
  • Reason for your request (eg. For immigration)
  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Sex
  • Mailing address
  • Phone number (and/or fax number and/or e-mail address)
  • Applicable fees"
I applied PR inland and OWP after 7months in Canada but i only submitted police check from my country. Anyhow without a letter from CIC, its impossible to get pc from RCMP but if you still wondering, up to you (this as i experienced, maybe someone else has different experience). In my city, pc would take almost 2months.