+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate Help!

Jun 17, 2016
So my in-land application was received June 1, 2015 and today I received a letter saying that they don't have a police certificate for me and that I have 60 days to submit it. I did send an original FBI background check certificate in with my application (which I have a photocopy of), but of course they only accept the original (which I no longer have) and the minimum processing time to get a new one is 84 days. I can't get through to an agent at the call center right now and I am seriously panicking - has this happened to anyone else and is there anything I can do?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ug...once again CIC loses an important document. The good news, is that they are once again allowing PCC letters from their approved third-party Channelers. Most people get theirs in a matter of days (or a couple of weeks).

You can also send a case Specific Enquiry requesting additional time, once you have ordered the replacement PCC. You might also attach the copy of the original letter, showing the date that it was issued.

Good luck!

annakrystyna13

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Submit a Case Specific Enquiry through their website.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

I would also continue calling until you get through. You can also go see your MP and they can call on your behalf. They have a different phone number so they get through without any issues.

However, they may also be requesting a new one because that one is expired. Have you been back to the USA since you submitted that police clearance?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
if you submitted your application in June 2015, then more than likely they need an updated one because police certificates are only valid for a short time in CIC's eyes. you may not have to wait to get the actual FBI report. CIC has recently decided to accept 3rd party channeler reports for FBI checks because of the amount of time it takes to get FBI reports. If that's not an option for you, then you'll need to submit for a new FBI report and send in proof of your FBI application to CIC, request an extension to the deadline and note you will send the report once received. If they see you are making the effort to comply with their request, then there is no risk to your application. if you don't tell them what you are doing within the deadline, they can close your file.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annakrystyna13 said:
Submit a Case Specific Enquiry through their website.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

I would also continue calling until you get through. You can also go see your MP and they can call on your behalf. They have a different phone number so they get through without any issues.

However, they may also be requesting a new one because that one is expired. Have you been back to the USA since you submitted that police clearance?
If the OP hasn't returned to the U.S., the original hasn't expired.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
If the OP hasn't returned to the U.S., the original hasn't expired.
even if it's a year or more old? is this specific to inland applications or all?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
even if it's a year or more old? is this specific to inland applications or all?
CIC changed the rules regarding the expiry of PCC letters last year. Now, they are valid indefinitely if the person has not returned to that country.
For countries where they are presently (excluding Canada), the PCC must have been issued within 6 months.

Even without this change, the OP's PCC would still be valid because CIC would have received it within 90 days of it being issued.
It's all based on the day that CIC receives things.

Jun 17, 2016
It said on the CIC website that the police certificate needs to be dated after the last time I lived in the country that it's for - do short visits count as 'living'?

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
girlwithsixarms - can you please enter your timeline info into the spreadsheet "New Entry and Update" tab...it helps everyone track progess. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yn3BFzI4q4xAy4EW3pG4CgQz9o3EzF5b18_tcSJwBhA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1992004750

As for your PCC issue, if you have visited the US since your FBI check was done, then they may consider it not valid and require a new one. It's hard to tell, because you said that they said "don't have a police check".

Also, as mentioned, many people have been getting requests to submit police checks and even medical reports that were already included in the application (and not expired). CIC just plain loses or skims the app and doesn't see them and requests them needlessly. Frustrating to hear about indeed.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
CIC changed the rules regarding the expiry of PCC letters last year. Now, they are valid indefinitely if the person has not returned to that country.
For countries where they are presently (excluding Canada), the PCC must have been issued within 6 months.

Even without this change, the OP's PCC would still be valid because CIC would have received it within 90 days of it being issued.
It's all based on the day that CIC receives things.
wow... very cool. i knew the rules had changed recently, just wasn't sure what it was exactly. much better than the 90 day validity rule it used to be! thanks for the info!

Jun 17, 2016
Yeah, the letter I received said "As per our records, you have not submitted the required police certificates from the country(ies) listed below:".

I finally got through to a call center agent and she specifically asked if the letter mentioned needing an update,and when I said no, she said to send them a photocopy of the one I submitted and then ask them to contact me if there was still a problem -so here's hoping there isn't!

Thanks to everyone for their help!

matthars

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
2-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
20-APR-2016
Med's Request
16-MAR-2017
Med's Done....
07-APR-2017
Interview........
17-MAY-2017
LANDED..........
22-JUN-2017
girlwithsixarms said:
Yeah, the letter I received said "As per our records, you have not submitted the required police certificates from the country(ies) listed below:".

I finally got through to a call center agent and she specifically asked if the letter mentioned needing an update,and when I said no, she said to send them a photocopy of the one I submitted and then ask them to contact me if there was still a problem -so here's hoping there isn't!

Thanks to everyone for their help!
what number did you call them at?

matthars

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
2-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
20-APR-2016
Med's Request
16-MAR-2017
Med's Done....
07-APR-2017
Interview........
17-MAY-2017
LANDED..........
22-JUN-2017
girlwithsixarms said:
I called at 800 242 2100 - but it took me five calls over the course of an hour to be placed on hold for an agent.
Thanks! I'm going to give it a try, in the same stage as you.

confusedhusband

Star Member
Nov 28, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here. I got the same email request from CIC about police clearance and send it to CAse processing center - Vegreville. We included all the police certificate with the application. Been trying to get through the agent on the phone from past one hr and I am just not getting connected due to high volume of calls. Uh !