+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate from South Korea: lapsed record problem

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Hi all,

I'm currently preparing the material for my PR application. I read many posts that said it is tricky to get a police certificate with lapsed records for non-Korean nationals. I also checked the website of the Consulate of Republic Korea in Toronto and the Embassy of Republic Korea in Canada. All of them mentioned that the "Korean government does not issue certificates with lapsed records." Does anyone know how to handle this situation?

I was an exchange student in SK in 2016. I have three friends who still live there, but all of them are foreigners. Does anyone know which type of police certificate will be satisfied with IRCC's requirement? Is the one I apply for through the Consulate of Republic Korea in Toronto or the one issued by the local police station in SK? If I provide the written confirmations from the Consulate of Republic Korea in Toronto and the Embassy of Republic Korea in Canada to explain why the lack of lapsed records of the document, will they help?

In my case, I only stayed in SK for 6 months (less than). However, my immigrant agent told me that I still have to provide the police certificate from South Korea, although the length of stay is less than 6 months. She explained that my stay in SK was close to 6 months and told me the case she worked on before that one of her clients stayed in France as an exchange student for only 4 months and IRCC also asked her client to provide the police certificate from France.

Anyway, I'm confused about obtaining the correct version of the police certificate from South Korea requested by IRCC.

Reactions: ayarafada

ayarafada

Oct 14, 2021
Hello Raekile, I am in the same situation I was an exchange student back in 2015-2016. Any news on your side?

ayarafada

Oct 14, 2021
Which one did you use? Allminwon or the Apostille. Those sites seem shady thou and expensive. Thanks for the insight Jay!

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Hello Raekile, I am in the same situation I was an exchange student back in 2015-2016. Any news on your side?
Hi ayarafada,

Yes, I mailed the application and consent form to my Seoul-based friend. I apologise for not updating the information.

You can visit any South Korean consulate in your area. You can tell them you want to deal with the "notary stuff" when you arrive. *Because there are three different types of police certificates, it is necessary to print out the police certificate requirement from the IRCC's website. Then they'll tell you to go to their forms section, which is located next to the office window, and get the forms you need.

There're two forms you need, one is 범죄 ․ 수사경력 조회 신청서 (Application For Criminal Records), and other one is 위 임 장 (consent form).

In the 범죄 ․ 수사경력 조회 신청서 (Application For Criminal Records) form, check the boxes of:
  1. For permission of foreign country immigration and stay
  2. For confirmation of investigation card materials
  3. Including lapsed of criminal sentences
  4. English Check Reply

In the 위 임 장 (consent form):

대리인 section is for your representative in South Korea:
  1. 성 명Name
  2. 주민등록번호 Date Birth
  3. 전화번호 Phone Numbers in South Korea
  4. 본인과의 관계 The relation between you and your representive (the guy who helps you to get the police certificate from local police station in South Korea)
  5. 주 소 Address in South Korea

위임사유Reason: *the consulate stuff will help you to fill this section.*

위임자 section is for your info:
  1. 성 명Name (서명 또는 인 *your signature)
  2. 주민등록번호Date of Birth
  3. 주 소Address in Canada
  4. 전화번호Phone Numbers in Canada
----
Bring your passport with you as you finish filling out the forms and hand them over to the staff; they will assist you in notarizing the application and consent form for a fee of 5.75 CAD (*debit card or cash only). Go to the post office and mail the notarized documents to your representative once you have them.

---
I thought I sent out the reply last night, .. Sori for the delay.
---

Last edited:

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Hello, you can order a police certificate from this website.

https://allminwon.com/m/product_view.php?pro_num=S61901&type=R
(Korean)
https://apostillehub.com/m/main/blog_view.php?idx=84
(English)
This is where I got my police certificate as well. super expensive though.
---
That's a lot more expensive than what I paid. The consulate of South Korea in Toronto charges a notary fee of 5.75 Canadian dollars. After that, it's only 32.xx CAD to mail the documents to SK. You can handle these yourselves.

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Which one did you use? Allminwon or the Apostille. Those sites seem shady thou and expensive. Thanks for the insight Jay!
Hi ayarafada,

Yes, I mailed the application and consent form to my Seoul-based friend. I apologise for not updating the information.

You can visit any South Korean consulate in your area. You can tell them you want to deal with the "notary stuff" when you arrive. *Because there are three different types of police certificates, it is necessary to print out the police certificate requirement from the IRCC's website. Then they'll tell you to go to their forms section, which is located next to the office window, and get the forms you need.

There're two forms you need, one is 범죄 ․ 수사경력 조회 신청서 (Application For Criminal Records), and other one is 위 임 장 (consent form).

In the 범죄 ․ 수사경력 조회 신청서 (Application For Criminal Records) form, check the boxes of:
  1. For permission of foreign country immigration and stay
  2. For confirmation of investigation card materials
  3. Including lapsed of criminal sentences
  4. English Check Reply

In the 위 임 장 (consent form):

대리인 section is for your representative in South Korea:
  1. 성 명Name
  2. 주민등록번호 Date Birth
  3. 전화번호 Phone Numbers in South Korea
  4. 본인과의 관계 The relation between you and your representive (the guy who helps you to get the police certificate from local police station in South Korea)
  5. 주 소 Address in South Korea

위임사유Reason: *the consulate stuff will help you to fill this section.*

위임자 section is for your info:
  1. 성 명Name (서명 또는 인 *your signature)
  2. 주민등록번호Date of Birth
  3. 주 소Address in Canada
  4. 전화번호Phone Numbers in Canada
----
Bring your passport with you as you finish filling out the forms and hand them over to the staff; they will assist you in notarizing the application and consent form for a fee of 5.75 CAD (*debit card or cash only). Go to the post office and mail the notarized documents to your representative once you have them.

---
I thought I sent out the reply last night, .. Sori for the delay.

ayarafada

Oct 14, 2021
Thank you so much for the fast reply. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with anybody in South Korea so I'm so frustrated right now and I'm at my wit's end I might actually just hope those agencies work. Thanks a lot and good luck!

Reactions: raekile

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Thank you so much for the fast reply. Unfortunately I do not have any contact with anybody in South Korea so I'm so frustrated right now and I'm at my wit's end I might actually just hope those agencies work. Thanks a lot and good luck!
I recommend that you start by contacting the consulate. According to a previous post I read, if you don't have any connections in South Korea, the consulate can help you get one of their local officers or staff to act as your representative to assist you in obtaining the certificate.

ayarafada

Oct 14, 2021
Great! I went there a few days ago and the consular officer told me I need someone in South Korea to do it for me. I might just ask them again and beg them to do it for me. So frustrating honestly thank you so much for answering so quickly!

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Great! I went there a few days ago and the consular officer told me I need someone in South Korea to do it for me. I might just ask them again and beg them to do it for me. So frustrating honestly thank you so much for answering so quickly!
aha! I can understand that frustration; it's real tortured. // Yay, just try hard to beg, convince them again and again and again and again ( Asian trick ;) ).

ayarafada

Oct 14, 2021
aha! I can understand that frustration; it's real tortured. // Yay, just try hard to beg, convince them again and again and again and again ( Asian trick ;) ).
I know! Thanks so much for the replies by the way how long did it take for your Police clearance with lapsed records to arrive?

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
I know! Thanks so much for the replies by the way how long did it take for your Police clearance with lapsed records to arrive?
Although the package is still on its way to my friend's house, it has arrived in Korea. According to what I've heard, the entire procedure will only take a few minutes. I'll let you know Once my friend gets this done.

*Have a nice weekend*

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Hi ayarafada,

Just have an update. My friend just got my report a few minutes ago. You have to prepare your address when you lived in korea the one when you applied for your ARC number. And, the police officer didn’t reject to provide the lapses records. Not sure if it’s include the report though. Have to ask my friend to take a picture of the report.

akat22

Dec 15, 2021