+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate from South Korea: lapsed record problem

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Hello Akat,

Sorry for my delayed response.

1. Yes, the lapsed records are included in the report. I asked two of my friends who live in two different cities in SK. The police certificates issued by Korea's different police stations are identical.

2. The certificate issued by the consulate does not meet the IRCC's requirements. You should get one from the local police station in Korea. The police officer will request the address where you lived while in Korea.

pinkpinkpink

Dec 24, 2020
Hi,

I have completed the process last year, not sure if there's any changes for 2022.
I tried to contact the consulate in Toronto , but they said they dont have lapsed record could be provided, so I am trying to solve this problem : (

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
Thank you, do you need your Korea friend send you hard copy of the check reply, or photo upload to IRCC is sufficient?
My friend mailed the original physical paperwork to me. If you submit your application through the portal [online], you may be able to directly upload the electronic version. However, it can be a risky choice.

Well, I applied through the Portal, and my immigration lawyer helped me in scanning all of my physical documents into electronic formats. So, I'm not sure whether what I said above is useful to you, but I believe it's always safer to keep the physical copy with me.

raekile

Sep 29, 2021
I tried to contact the consulate in Toronto , but they said they dont have lapsed record could be provided, so I am trying to solve this problem : (
Ok. I can help with this part.

The first and most important thing is that the KR consulate is not responsible for assisting you in obtaining or issuing a police certificate. Instead, the certificate we require here is one given by a South Korean police station.

The first step is to find a representative who is currently residing in Korea. Then you go to the KR consulate and tell them you want two forms: 위 임 장 (consent form) and 범죄 ․ 수사경력 조회 신청서 (Application For Criminal Records). [I've included all of the information on these forms in this post. Take a look.]

Secondly, you mail the original documents to your representative once you have completed the forms and obtained the notarized documents.

Last, your representative delivers the documents to any local police station in Korea. During the process, the police officer will ask you to provide the address you lived at while in Korea [this is critical]. Then you obtain your certificate, and you can ask your representative to mail you the original paper.

That's all. The whole process will take around a month to get done.