+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate for Spousal Sponsorship

BlueOwl

Apr 27, 2014
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me whether it was mandatory to have a Police Certificate from your original country for a Spousal Sponsorship? Or is this purely something they sometimes ask for or don't?

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Absolutely mandatory. It's also required from every country where the applicant has lived (or visited) if the stay was over 6 months.

The SPONSOR does NOT need the PCC...Only the applicant that is being sponsored.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Absolutely mandatory. It's also required from every country where the applicant has lived (or visited) if the stay was over 6 months.
And if the stay was after the age of 18.

BlueOwl

Apr 27, 2014
Thank you!

Would you think it would be a problem if I had the Certificate done at my current address? I have yet to move in with my wife

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BlueOwl said:
Thank you!

Would you think it would be a problem if I had the Certificate done at my current address? I have yet to move in with my wife
Not quite sure what you mean by `done' at my current address.

Are you asking if the PCC can be MAILED to your current address, and then you send it to CIC? If so, yes.

You can have your fingerprints taken anywhere, but they must be the old fashioned ink and roll type (if you're requesting an FBI criminal check from the US).

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Ponga said:
Not quite sure what you mean by `done' at my current address.

Are you asking if the PCC can be MAILED to your current address, and then you send it to CIC? If so, yes.

You can have your fingerprints taken anywhere, but they must be the old fashioned ink and roll type (if you're requesting an FBI criminal check from the US).
Sorry, I don't mean to nag, but your post scared me so I looked it up. According to the FBI -
"Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable."

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/submitting-an-identity-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi

At least the current wait time is only 26 days ^o^

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amalthea said:
Sorry, I don't mean to nag, but your post scared me so I looked it up. According to the FBI -
"Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable."

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/submitting-an-identity-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi

At least the current wait time is only 26 days ^o^
I guarantee you that if you are in Canada you cannot submit live scan prints, as they cannot be transmitted across the border electronically. This is apparently an FBI restriction, not so much a CIC restriction.

Remember, that the information on the FBI website (for history summary requests) are not tailored for Canada Immigration purposes or requirements exclusively.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Ponga said:
I guarantee you that if you are in Canada you cannot submit live scan prints, as they cannot be transmitted across the border electronically. This is apparently an FBI restriction, not so much a CIC restriction.

Remember, that the information on the FBI website (for history summary requests) are not tailored for Canada Immigration purposes or requirements exclusively.
Oh wow! Gotcha! So what you're saying is that if you are in Canada, then they will not accept live scans?

Then hopefully it should not be an issue if you are applying Outland/currently living in the US, correct? As long as they aren't sent digitally, and they are printed on a card, correct? I just made my appointment at the local sheriff's office. They scan them digitally, but then they print them. You then do with them as you please, in my case, mail the card to the FBI. I guess I could ask for old school fingerprints this time around regardless, if they still do them - couldn't hurt!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure. You should call the FBI to find out for sure.

Live scan would be ideal, I suppose, as it eliminates mailing the fingerprint card to West Virginia...which saves a couple of days!

Good luck with your application!

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Ponga said:
I'm not sure. You should call the FBI to find out for sure.

Live scan would be ideal, I suppose, as it eliminates mailing the fingerprint card to West Virginia...which saves a couple of days!

Good luck with your application!
Thanks! I think that's where the confusion lies. I think you're talking about actually sending 'em digitally, where I mean live scanning them and then printing them on to a card, and mailing them. I clarified in my original post, but you were so quick you commented before I finished editing ^o^

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
BlueOwl said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me whether it was mandatory to have a Police Certificate from your original country for a Spousal Sponsorship? Or is this purely something they sometimes ask for or don't?

Thanks!
Blue Owl;

Scroll down to Part 3, and you will see the country specific guides as to the documents required for your application, including a Police Certificate for every country the Sponsored has lived in for 6 months or more, over the age of 18.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

As well as the other documents required, the actual applications, etc.. There's even a Guide to filling out the sponsor's section, step by step, question by question! Pretty awesome:)

Good luck!