+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate Confusion

loeleo

Jan 15, 2019
Hello, my husband (PA) and I are near ready to submit our in-land application but I'm getting a bit confused about his Police Certificate requirements.

He is Japanese and when I enter Japan into the government web page for "how to obtain a police certificate" it says the following:

"Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate."

Seems pretty crystal clear.

But now I'm getting paranoid because the guide says that some countries require a consent form from IRCC to issue a police certificate, and that if this is required we should submit the consent form in our application in the place of the police certificate. The links to which countries require this are dead in that part of the guide (at least on my computer) so I'm unsure whether we need to submit the form or not.

Any input is most appreciated!

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
I had this same question. The part about CIC sending you a request for the police check is true. They will examine your application and if the police certificate is required, they send a request with the necessary information required.
In my case, my wife is in Colombia. She went to the page for Colombia from the link supplied on the letter. You contact them(private security contractor in her case) to make an appointment with additional instructions. They will send you a consent form themselves to release the info to CIC within their system. They may also give you the results for you to submit to CIC yourself.

Reactions: loeleo

loeleo

Jan 15, 2019
I had this same question. The part about CIC sending you a request for the police check is true. They will examine your application and if the police certificate is required, they send a request with the necessary information required.
In my case, my wife is in Colombia. She went to the page for Colombia from the link supplied on the letter. You contact them(private security contractor in her case) to make an appointment with additional instructions. They will send you a consent form themselves to release the info to CIC within their system. They may also give you the results for you to submit to CIC yourself.
Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll include a letter of explanation as to why there's no police certificate included and then we'll wait to get word for their request.
Based on the gov't website instructions, I'm making the assumption that we don't need to include consent form in place of the certificate in the application.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll include a letter of explanation as to why there's no police certificate included and then we'll wait to get word for their request.
Based on the gov't website instructions, I'm making the assumption that we don't need to include consent form in place of the certificate in the application.
The letter of explanation could help. The consent forms will be supplied by the 3rd party security company anyway. No need there. I had the same questions and worries and all worked out ok.

We got the request for police certificate the day after biometrics and did everything online. They sent a link for the consent forms to print and sign to scan and send back as well as a link to pay the fee at the bank. Other countries might require you to go to a location to process it. Either way, wait for CIC to email you for the request.

Good luck.

Reactions: loeleo

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
in order to get a police certificate, does one need to physically be in that country to get it, or can you get it while here in Canada?

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
in order to get a police certificate, does one need to physically be in that country to get it, or can you get it while here in Canada?
Unless you're required to visit the police check provider, I don't see why not. Some countries require you to visit a police station. Other countries use 3rd party security firms to conduct the search and may not require you to visit them physically.

loeleo

Jan 15, 2019
When I checked the Canadian government website it gave specific instructions for the country (in our case Japan) and also whether or not the person is living in that country. In our case we can get it through the Japanese embassy/consulate here in Canada.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
When I checked the Canadian government website it gave specific instructions for the country (in our case Japan) and also whether or not the person is living in that country. In our case we can get it through the Japanese embassy/consulate here in Canada.
Yes, now that you mention it, they do give instructions on living in or out of your home country and what to do and where to go. Wait for the email and it comes with a link to check for your specific country or go here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html

At the bottom of that page:
Do not apply for the Background Verification Certificate until you receive a file number from the Canadian visa office and instructions telling you to apply for the certificate.

Service providers will require you to sign a consent form authorizing them to disclose the Background Verification Certificate to the Canadian visa officer.

Service providers will forward the Background Verification Certificate directly to CIC.

Instructions, processing times and applicable fees may vary according to provider.