+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please share your experience about Criminal Rehabilitation application in 2017

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hi, does criminal rehabilation only applies to those who are convicted or charged? Thanks
The rehabilitation applies to people who are criminally inadmissible to Canada. Please share details about your offense so that I can advise you if you need to apply or not.

Reactions: Virgo29

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017
The applicant was not convicted or charged. It was a dismissed case. Not even found guilty or sentenced. The complainant dropped the case after few hearings in the court. In the Police check it says NO CRIMINAL RECORD. Thanks

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Only if you are convicted.
This is not accurate. A person who admits responsibility and accepts an alternative sentence such as anger management, a diversion program of some sort or payment of any fine is considered to be criminally inadmissible and thus is still required to go through rehabilitation even though the case is dismissed and no formal criminal record exists. An exception is a continuance without finding similar to a conditional discharge in Canada whereas the person avoids being convicted for being in good behavior or risk being sentenced.

You can find online answers on the official Canadian government website where it mentions that a person having a dismissed charge maybe inadmissible to Canada, except that if the person was found not guilty in court is always admissible.

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017
This is not accurate. A person who admits responsibility and accepts an alternative sentence such as anger management, a diversion program of some sort or payment of any fine is considered to be criminally inadmissible and thus is still required to go through rehabilitation even though the case is dismissed and no formal criminal record exists. An exception is a continuance without finding similar to a conditional discharge in Canada whereas the person avoids being convicted for being in good behavior or risk being sentenced.

You can find online answers on the official Canadian government website where it mentions that a person having a dismissed charge maybe inadmissible to Canada, except that if the person was found not guilty in court is always admissible.
What you mentioned is conviction. Yes in this case you do have to go through CR but no CR if you are not convicted.

Juku77

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
After four months of waiting, the only thing they have answered is this.

Mr. ,
The criminal rehabilitation application has been received and is under review by the responsible officer. Additionally, please disregard the message concerning the medical exam requirements. At the moment, there is no need for further action on your part.

Our office will contact you should we require additional information or documents. Thank you for keeping your correspondence to a minimum.

Regards | Cordialement

Immigration Section | Section d'immigration (mav)
Embassy of Canada, Mexico | Ambassade du Canada, Mexico

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 193, Col. Granada, 11520, México, D.F.
www.mexico.gc.ca

TonyGunz

Aug 28, 2018
I just saw this posting, I wanted to share my experience. If the person applying for rehabilitation is an American citizen, they can apply at most land points of entry. This is what I did for my wife. We just completed the application and supporting docs, drove down the road to our nearest major border crossing (we live in Maine), handed the border agent the application, paid the fee and left. This is not a well known method for processing these apps, so the turnover is fast, she got her approval and rehabilitation in a few days via email and later via post. I would suggest going to a larger border crossing (they must have immigration officer, the tiny ones generally don't), but not a crazy busy one like Detroit/Windsor). We did ours at the Houlton/Woodstock border crossing. This is a much faster option for US citizens.
Thank you for this info, I live in Niagara Falls NY, I'm surrounded by border crossings, I am taking my application for rehab to the Peace Bridge Crossing today, I will update here on the process.

Juku77

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
Thank you for this info, I live in Niagara Falls NY, I'm surrounded by border crossings, I am taking my application for rehab to the Peace Bridge Crossing today, I will update here on the process.
Hi!
Taking advantage of the fact that you will go to Peace Bridge, could you ask the immigration officer, if that service is only for American citizens? Please! My wife lives in Toronto and she could leave my application at that point! Thanks again

TonyGunz

Aug 28, 2018
Hi!
Taking advantage of the fact that you will go to Peace Bridge, could you ask the immigration officer, if that service is only for American citizens? Please! My wife lives in Toronto and she could leave my application at that point! Thanks again
Ok, i advise anyone thinking of going to yue border to sublim
Hi!
OK, if you're considering going to the Canadian side border to do a CR, DON'T do it. first they said they don't handle CR's and they never heard of anyone doing it at the border. Second, if you're the one with the inadmissibility issues, they could arrest you and detain you until you pay a $1000 release. I was turned back after the immigration officer explained a few things to me. Just a little history, I have a great deal of misdemeanor Charges
from 1993-2010. The only convictions were traffic violations. He took one look at all my charges and bluntly stated that Canada only approves CR's for people who benefit Canada. And looking at my 2 pages of arrest, I will not benefit Canada lol. 2nd thing he stated, that instead of my charges showing "dismissed", they show "leave reinstate". Cook County says that is a dismissal, but the agents says its a dismissal of the case, not the charge. His advice was to not submit my CR, but to get expungements on all my charges because they will overlook expungements. I know from a friend, that not only could an expungement take years, its not definite that you will get it. Last thing he said was that a CR wait time is like 3 years now. I just wanted to see the Blue Jays play at home, is that too much to ask...?

Juku77

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ok, i advise anyone thinking of going to yue border to sublim

OK, if you're considering going to the Canadian side border to do a CR, DON'T do it. first they said they don't handle CR's and they never heard of anyone doing it at the border. Second, if you're the one with the inadmissibility issues, they could arrest you and detain you until you pay a $1000 release. I was turned back after the immigration officer explained a few things to me. Just a little history, I have a great deal of misdemeanor Charges
from 1993-2010. The only convictions were traffic violations. He took one look at all my charges and bluntly stated that Canada only approves CR's for people who benefit Canada. And looking at my 2 pages of arrest, I will not benefit Canada lol. 2nd thing he stated, that instead of my charges showing "dismissed", they show "leave reinstate". Cook County says that is a dismissal, but the agents says its a dismissal of the case, not the charge. His advice was to not submit my CR, but to get expungements on all my charges because they will overlook expungements. I know from a friend, that not only could an expungement take years, its not definite that you will get it. Last thing he said was that a CR wait time is like 3 years now. I just wanted to see the Blue Jays play at home, is that too much to ask...?
it's sucks I only have one DWI in texas and I am under a sponsorship process, currently living in Mexico after being deported because of inadmissibility in Canada last February they told me that I need CR my lawyer sent a package of 117 pages to the CDMX office but so far I have only received a letter saying that they received it and it is under review, reading the experiences of this forum takes no more than 12 months, but I already bored all this shit. Just because I'm married I love my wife and she does not want to live in Mexico, if not here I would stay, At least I would not like to spend the rest of my life in that crazy and cold country lol, hey you do not miss anything going to see the Blue Jays they always lose hahahahaha

destinyjam2can

Apr 2, 2017
How is a criminal rehab app calculated? We applied together with the PR app. Or is it calculated from time visa office finally gets it and starts working on it?

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
How is a criminal rehab app calculated? We applied together with the PR app. Or is it calculated from time visa office finally gets it and starts working on it?
Ours was approved during our application. From what I understand it's managed by a different officer as no notes showed up on GCMS about my rehab process. If SUBmitted at the same time as your PR application it should be approved before your PPR. But expect a little longer than the 12 month PR processing time.

destinyjam2can

Apr 2, 2017
Ours was approved during our application. From what I understand it's managed by a different officer as no notes showed up on GCMS about my rehab process. If SUBmitted at the same time as your PR application it should be approved before your PPR. But expect a little longer than the 12 month PR processing time.
Thank you for your quick response. We applied together in June 2017 everything was sent to Mississauga. Apparently the VO started processing the PR app in August 2017. In regards to CIC Mississauga the CR was sent to the VO in December. I received an email response from the VO in Feb 2018 stating they received the CR app and was in queue for the visa office migration manager. I followed up early April and was told it was in process. Do you have any idea roughly we should get through? The VO has not asked for an interview. Our medicals and police are expired.