+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please share your experience about Criminal Rehabilitation application in 2017

aj4pals

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hey. He sent his application to the New York, NY consulate and it was done in 5 months. He did write on his application he was hoping to make a wedding. I doubt they took that into consideration though. I also sent my application to that once last month, I obviously have not heard anything back yet...
Thanks for the response. I am still waiting to hear back from the consulate.

aj4pals

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hey. He sent his application to the New York, NY consulate and it was done in 5 months. He did write on his application he was hoping to make a wedding. I doubt they took that into consideration though. I also sent my application to that once last month, I obviously have not heard anything back yet...
Any update from the consulate... like a confirmation of receipt?

May 7, 2018
Sharing my situation and status as of now, in case it's helpful to anyone.

I'm based in the USA, fall into the "criminality" category (i.e. my case isn't "serious"), and am not eligible for deemed rehab because there are 2 offenses instead of 1.

It took me almost 6 months to gather all required documentation. I sent my package in to the Consulate General in New York at the end of February 2018. I just received notice from them that my app had been received on 09 March 2018, and has been queued for processing as of 04 May 2018. I presume that my package was more or less sitting in a pile in a mailroom someplace for 2 months, just waiting for someone to clip it into a folder.

The backlog is real.

My notification letter states that average processing times at the NY office as of now are between 6 and 12 months, but could take longer.

Now I wait...
I am returning to report that, after 9 months of agonizing waiting, MY APPLICATION WAS APPROVED!!!!

This is the best possible Christmas present I could've received (and a birthday present, too - I'm an early January baby)!!! My Canuck wife and I are already planning a weekend in Vancouver to celebrate.

Stay strong and patient, everyone. They do get through the backlog, and it does take some time, but MAN does the result feel good when they get to you!

marcin1976

Dec 18, 2018
Hi All,

I received Nomination from Ontario after applying to job add. I tried EE before but it failed. I hired Immigration Consultant to help me with a process. I reside in US for the past 17 years. I have wife and couple of kids. When I got my FBI clearance report back, my DUI arrest from 16 years before showed up on it. My consultant recommended doing Criminal Rehabilitation application to make sure I'm admissible to enter Canada even though after 10 years and no other convictions. The CR application was prepared and mailed to Canadian Embassy in Warsaw on November 2nd.
I received Nomination from Ontario last week. I have 6 months to apply for PR. Should I wait until I got response from my CR application or apply for PR and wait for CR application results?

Thank you very much for your help.
Marcin

Raoul1865

May 13, 2018
Hi All,

Just thought I will share my experience my Rehab Application all approved. Did it all myself and was eventually successful. Patience is the key.

AnnaJJ

Jan 24, 2019
Hi,

I have a question. I applied for a working holiday visa through IEC however I have a drink driving offence on my criminal record. I am currently applying for rehabilitation even though 5 years has not passed yet. I still want to give it a try. Do I also have to apply for a temporary work permit?
Also I am not sure what fee to pay. Is DUI classified as inadmissible on the grounds of criminality or inadmissible on the ground of serious criminality which as a few of 1,000$?

Thank You.

odeezal28

Jan 30, 2019
Hi Everyone,

nice thread here. I have a few quick questions... the checklist is a bit confusing to me...

DOCS I HAVE OBTAINED SO FAR (only lived in 2 sates)
-FBI Cert/Background check
-NYS Public Record Review/Background check
-Florida Criminal Record Check

I am confused by the language on the document checklist that states "a criminal clearance from all police authorities in all countries"

.... isnt a criminal clearance one of the docs I listed above?

adamwartman

Feb 8, 2019
Hello-
I am a bit confused as well on all the documents they are asking for.
Can anyone list, in a little more user friendly/USA terms what all they submitted that was eventually accepted.
Thanks!

Juku77

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
Hello-
I am a bit confused as well on all the documents they are asking for.
Can anyone list, in a little more user friendly/USA terms what all they submitted that was eventually accepted.
Thanks!
First off all
Request a Police Clearence of each country you lived for 6 months or more
USA:https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
CANADA;http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-checks
-Your personal statement explaning you criminal history and why you think you are rehabilitated!
-letter of friends, employers,neighbors,parents,brothers,sisters,about your behavior
-complete file of your charges paid fines receips, all about you case
- CR APPLICATION FEE, Criminality$200.00 cad. serious criminality including DUI,DWI.. $1000.00 CAD
-Hire a Lawyer with experience in Criminal cases and Immigration is very important.Average price of the lawyer is 3 of 4 thousand all depends of your case.
I hope this is help you.
Mine is almost a year and still waiting!
Good luck!

Anon49

Feb 10, 2019
Hey guys!

I recently received ITA after waiting for a long long time.
I've recently realised that I have a few things on my criminal record that might get in the way of me getting PR though :(

I have 2 offences as a juvenile offender in my home country:
- shoplifting
- possession of marijuana

I also got a DUI in The Netherlands 6 years ago. I blew 0.04, which means I was under the limit of 0.05, but it turned out that they have a different limit for people who are within the first 5 years of owning their driver license. I got a ticket in the mail, which I paid for back then.

Because I thought this was just a traffic ticket and because the other 2 offences were before I turned 18, I never mentioned this when entering Canada many times in the past and when successfully applying for a working holiday visa. I applied for my certificates of good conduct in both countries and both came back clean, which I thought confirmed this.

Am I meant to apply for criminal rehabilitation now? I'm concerned that if I apply now, I might get a ban for apparently lying/misrepresenting in the past.
Can I just explain this on my PR application instead and avoid the really long waiting time for rehabilitation, since juvenile offences don't make you inadmissible and there is no similar crime in Canada for being in the first 5 years of your license plus I was under the 0.08 Canadian limit?

If I do apply for rehabilitation, can I apply for TRP and visit Canada in that time? How long does it take to get TRP?

Juku77

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
This is the eleventh month since it was applied in April 2018 for CR and I have not received any response from CIC Mexico Office. is Sucks, my case must be stored and forgotten in a pile of documents without any attention. I think that if my case continues to be delayed for more than a year, I will give up my family class sponsorship, I will get better in my own country!

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
This is the eleventh month since it was applied in April 2018 for CR and I have not received any response from CIC Mexico Office. is Sucks, my case must be stored and forgotten in a pile of documents without any attention. I think that if my case continues to be delayed for more than a year, I will give up my family class sponsorship, I will get better in my own country!
moving to Canada is a privilege and by no means a right. you committed a crime not Canada.

Have you emailed Mexico to see if they have your file, received notification they have your file? they might have an update on your time frame

Reactions: Copingwithlife