+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help, travel document for returning to canada

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
Hi everyone, my wife landed here on May 25th, and for very personal reasons had to leave canada on the 24th of June, 1 day shy of 1 month in Canada. How does she return here with out here PR card? I read up on the travel document but im really confused, usually how long are they issued and also is there an expiry date to use them. I'm worried that it might be hard for her to return to canada?

About her PR card, i live in stoney creek near hamilton, will they mail the card itself or just the letter to pick it up?

Please help, thank you in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What they have been doing is mailing the cards for new PR's to their address although there was somebody here recently who said that he was told that they would have to pick up their cards. Usually it's only PR's who are renewing who have to come and pick up their card.

If it's mailed to you, you can send it to her where she is. In case it doesn't get mailed or not in time for her to get home anyway, she should ask the embassy nearest to where she is staying about applying for a PR travel document and how long it takes and other details. That way, she can see if you get the PR card and can send it to her in time for her return or if she will have to apply for the travel document.

It would not be hard to get a travel document for somebody who landed so recently because there is no chance that she may have lost her PR due to not meeting residency requirements yet.

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
I really appreciate it Leon, that cleared up a lot of questions / worries, I'll remain hopeful that her card will come in the mail. Thanks again :)

syedd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hello Rob,

Wish you good luck with a PR card. I hope it reaches to you very fast.

One question, did anyone ask about PR card at the airport when she was departing ?. If yes what was her answer and also the reaction of the immigration officer ?

cheers

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
hi syedd, i dont think anyone asked her about the PR card, since shes a citizen of her home country she could leave any time, i think they maybe assumed she had her PR card.