+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help me.. Denied US Visa: effect on Canadian PR application.

LeoBrasil

Nov 10, 2015
Dear Scylla,

I am sorry to post it here. I just got the hook of a previous post regarding to an information pretty close to mine.

If you and everybody else don't mind I just would like to keep the questions here because I am no very familiar using forums and I am in hard pressure to get information regarding to my issues.

Please if you people don't mine let me know your good opinions.

Thanks a lot!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Unfortunate situation. In my experience, it is always better to obtain a renewal of your status in your country of residence than overseas/home country. Had you done this while in the US (before your trip), you would not need to show "strong ties" to your home country, which is difficult to do anyway if you've spent the past 7.5 yrs in the US. As for your questions:

1. No one knows how or whether it will impact negatively. But you need to disclose all the refusals and provide details or attach the refusal letters. Any attempts to distort the reason(s) for refusal could come back to haunt you because Canada and the US share information.

2. As you've noted, your ties to your home country are not particularly strong. It's safe to assume, a visa officer would be interested in your time in the US specifically:
a) it's unusual(in my experience) to be denied an extension of a study permit, if you have been a student in good standing and progressing. That you were denied 4 times, does not look good. You may want to include a cover letter addressing the issues in the refusals, providing evidence that they have been taken care of and won't be a problem again, should you be issued a study permit for Canada.

b) if you've studied for 7.5 yrs in the US, did you obtain a diploma/degree? If not, why not? Have you been hoping between schools, using your student status to work instead, perhaps illegally? This helps an officer determine if you are a bona fide student. Canada is aware some students use this route to jump the queue, hence the more stringent conditions surrounding study permits.

c) you program of study - is it a natural progression in light of your previous studies? Ex: say you obtained an undergraduate degree in Engineering from the US. Are you now going for a Masters in Engineering? Or another undergraduate degree in a different field?

Sounds like you did not complete your program in the US - are you going for the same program in Canada? Will you be able to transfer credits? Will your university in Canada accept the credits? If so, do you have evidence of this (could be email correspondence between yourself and the Registrar's office of the school detailing the credits you can transfer, etc), etc.

I think taking a proactive approach in addressing potential issues is better than just submitting the application bare bones and leaving the officer to draw his/her own conclusions. Goes without saying, you need adequate proof of funds. Goodluck!

LeoBrasil said:
Dear all,

Please please and please , I need your help to figure out regarding to very important questions related to a Canadian study permit.
1 - I used to be international student in USA for the past 7,5 years and came back to my homeland this year in May to visit my family. I was supposed to renew my F-1 visa to returned to USA to continue my academic journey. Unfortunately USA consulate denied my request 4 times and I gave up to come back for sure. Now I am in process to apply for a study permit in Canada to continue my studies. I already have an acceptance letter from my school and paid the first part of my first semester. I will apply this Monday (Nov 16, 2015) to get the visa but I am totally worried about the 4 denials I got from USA. As I have to inform it on my IMM1294 I would like to know if it is going to impact negatively my request of study permit and how I can describe in details my situation not compromising my reputation?

2 - Another question is about my ties in my country. What kind of ties are relevant to show to Canada Consulate? As a international student it is hard to show ties with my homeland especially because I came back from USA few months ago.

Please dear gentlemen, I kindly ask your help as soon as possible regarding to these questions above.

Thank you so much!

LeoBrasil

Nov 10, 2015
Re: Please help me.. Denied US Visa: effect on Canadian study permit applicn.

Thank you SenoritaBella for the explanation.

Let me be more specific with my situation.

I went to USA in November 2007, and changed my status from B1 to F1 there because I realized that it could be a great opportunity to develop a good career having the international experience and learning a new language. So I applied for F1 and was approved with my wife as F2. In May 2008 started ESOL for around 2-2.5 years, then I went to college classes. In December 2012 I got an Associate in Liberal Science from my college, and was offered by my school to get OPT to experience working in USA labor market. So from 2013 to 2014 I worked legally using my OPT.

In mid 2014 when I had my OPT being expired I changed to get a major in Computer Science field. As University was out of my budget at that moment, I decided to get classes from college which would be much more unexpensive compared to University tuition for a F1 visa. I was taking classes and in May 2015 we decided to go to our country to visit our family and consequently renew our visa stamps on our passports because it was expired (although my status of F1 and my wife F2 (I-20) were good, no issues).

Being in our country we went to the USA consulate to renew the visa. The consular officer denied our request alleging that we spent a long journey in USA and I was taking another college. He was right that I was taking college classes but not just for burning time in US. Those classes would be acceptable to the university later. The next to interviews they alleged same thing with a kind of rude approaching with me. The last interview I asked one of the Senator of USA to help me to get in because another problem was the fact of all of my stuff were in USA and I was not able to send it to my country because of several issues (transportation, cost, customhouse, etc). Then the Senator John Cornyn sent a letter to USA general consulate kindly requesting an opportunity to let me get in, unfortunately not heeded by them.

I was exactly at the middle of the course and was just needing one more year to finish it. Another detail is that I had scholarship for the rest of the course without paying anything.

I was being supported by two sponsors: my main sponsor in USA a great friend who considers me as a son, and my parents in my country. I was not working illegally in US and was doing my best to get the degree to go forward to the university, since I got ways that could help me to get scholarships for university also as my performance was great in school.

My goal is to continue studying in a place where I can gather international experience to apply it in my career and Canada seems to be a great country with a considerable number of colleges with great reputation in my field.
I won't lie and say that there is no possibility that I can stay in Canada if I have a chance such as getting a job offer after finish school, but sincerely this is not the main goal.

I am not considering the possibility to answer no in the question the refusal or denied entry in any country in IMM1294 form, but I need help to describe it as smooth as possible to avoid bad interpretation from the officer.

Another thing is the fact that as international student is not easy to show strong ties with my country since we will spend a considerable time out of our country and with the chance to work 2 years after college (PGWP), also considering that I spent 7.5 years in USA. So what would really be strong ties? I don't think that house, car and school would be strong ties since many people living in US left their belongings in their country easily to someone else take care for them.

Please after this better explanation what would you or anyone else think about?

Thank you!

LeoBrasil

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you SenoritaBella for the explanation.

Let me be more specific with my situation.

I went to USA in November 2007, and changed my status from B1 to F1 there because I realized that it could be a great opportunity to develop a good career having the international experience and learning a new language. So I applied for F1 and was approved with my wife as F2. In May 2008 started ESOL for around 2-2.5 years, then I went to college classes. In December 2012 I got an Associate in Liberal Science from my college, and was offered by my school to get OPT to experience working in USA labor market. So from 2013 to 2014 I worked legally using my OPT.

In mid 2014 when I had my OPT being expired I changed to get a major in Computer Science field. As University was out of my budget at that moment, I decided to get classes from college which would be much more unexpensive compared to University tuition for a F1 visa. I was taking classes and in May 2015 we decided to go to our country to visit our family and consequently renew our visa stamps on our passports because it was expired (although my status of F1 and my wife F2 (I-20) were good, no issues).

Being in our country we went to the USA consulate to renew the visa. The consular officer denied our request alleging that we spent a long journey in USA and I was taking another college. He was right that I was taking college classes but not just for burning time in US. Those classes would be acceptable to the university later. The next to interviews they alleged same thing with a kind of rude approaching with me. The last interview I asked one of the Senator of USA to help me to get in because another problem was the fact of all of my stuff were in USA and I was not able to send it to my country because of several issues (transportation, cost, customhouse, etc). Then the Senator John Cornyn sent a letter to USA general consulate kindly requesting an opportunity to let me get in, unfortunately not heeded by them.

I was exactly at the middle of the course and was just needing one more year to finish it. Another detail is that I had scholarship for the rest of the course without paying anything.

I was being supported by two sponsors: my main sponsor in USA a great friend who considers me as a son, and my parents in my country. I was not working illegally in US and was doing my best to get the degree to go forward to the university, since I got ways that could help me to get scholarships for university also as my performance was great in school.

My goal is to continue studying in a place where I can gather international experience to apply it in my career and Canada seems to be a great country with a considerable number of colleges with great reputation in my field.
I won't lie and say that there is no possibility that I can stay in Canada if I have a chance such as getting a job offer after finish school, but sincerely this is not the main goal.

I am not considering the possibility to answer no in the question the refusal or denied entry in any country in IMM1294 form, but I need help to describe it as smooth as possible to avoid bad interpretation from the officer.

Another thing is the fact that as international student is not easy to show strong ties with my country since we will spend a considerable time out of our country and with the chance to work 2 years after college (PGWP), also considering that I spent 7.5 years in USA. So what would really be strong ties? I don't think that house, car and school would be strong ties since many people living in US left their belongings in their country easily to someone else take care for them.

Please after this better explanation what would you or anyone else think about?

Thank you!

michel_hammamet

Aug 14, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
Paris
Great thread guys. Just interested in the following:
1. Should we provide letters of refusals? I have several refusals from the US, Canada and the UK. But i don't have letters. Is the explanation that important?
2. I was refused US visa back in 2001 on the grounds of misrepresenation (false certificate). I am very afraid that it will impact my PR application. Though I have declared that refusal in all my previous applications and they have never checked this info with the US visa database (according to the CAIPS). How hard is it? Did anybody have a similar case?
3. I have another issue with the UK refusal. It was in 2003 and when I applied for a student visa to Canada in 2013 i forgot to mention this in my appljcation. Now I want to mention it in my PR application. Can they look at it as misrepresentation? Can I correct that by explaining that I had forgotten to mention it before?

Thank you all for help in these matters.

Piousoul

Jan 27, 2016
michel_hammamet said:
1. Should we provide letters of refusals? I have several refusals from the US, Canada and the UK. But i don't have letters. Is the explanation that important?
2. I was refused US visa back in 2001 on the grounds of misrepresenation (false certificate). I am very afraid that it will impact my PR application. Though I have declared that refusal in all my previous applications and they have never checked this info with the US visa database (according to the CAIPS). How hard is it? Did anybody have a similar case?
3. I have another issue with the UK refusal. It was in 2003 and when I applied for a student visa to Canada in 2013 i forgot to mention this in my appljcation. Now I want to mention it in my PR application. Can they look at it as misrepresentation? Can I correct that by explaining that I had forgotten to mention it before?

Thank you all for help in these matters.
Hi Michel, please can you kindly respond to my pm. Thanks

Savz

Aug 7, 2017
Hii guys, the information provided here has been useful... But i have a problem... We have applied for canada PR with my husband as primary applicant. But he has been denied visitor visa to US twice in 2010. But he doesn't have refusal letters. I m wondering if refusal letters cannot be provided, will it affect our application??

gaurav171

Jun 18, 2018
Please suggest
I am applying for canada PR .
I had US B1 visa rejection under section 214b .what should I write about previous visa rejection in current visa application.?
Also does it have any impact on PR application.?
My all documents and everything are correct .

khan2019

Jun 16, 2018
Poster,

My friend landed last november as immigrant.
He has denial of US,Canada & Australia visa.

But still made it.

Go for it without any fear.
had ur friend answer yes or no to question 6d of the background information form. plz let us know

sunnyb7

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
On the contrary, is it possible that a Canadian PR stamped in the Passport can be a reason for the US visa officer to reject the H1b or L1 VISA?

Jacintha Ayre

Oct 29, 2018
So I'm an applicant for Canadian residency, I'm a US citizen, and I have a question -- what if, on the "denied entry question," I was denied Visitor's entry to the UK ( appendix V 4.1) about two years ago but granted entry after about 20 minutes of questioning 6 moths ago? Can I just say that, or do I have to go into extensive detail?

May I write:

"I was denied visitor's entry into the UK on (date 2 years ago) under V 4.1 of the Immigration Code. I was later granted visitor's entry into the UK on (subsequent date). I am happy to provide further information and full paperwork on request."

Breeze00

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
25-05-2018
Passport Req..
25-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2018
So I'm an applicant for Canadian residency, I'm a US citizen, and I have a question -- what if, on the "denied entry question," I was denied Visitor's entry to the UK ( appendix V 4.1) about two years ago but granted entry after about 20 minutes of questioning 6 moths ago? Can I just say that, or do I have to go into extensive detail?

May I write:

"I was denied visitor's entry into the UK on (date 2 years ago) under V 4.1 of the Immigration Code. I was later granted visitor's entry into the UK on (subsequent date). I am happy to provide further information and full paperwork on request."
Sure. Write this in a letter of explanation n you will be fine. All the best

sgr350

Nov 18, 2018

Thank you all for help in these matters.[/QUOTE

Hi I have a similar question as my US visa was denied due to misrepresentation and I was give an option to file for a waiver for that Miscommunication . Did you got the PR