+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical residency 365 daysPR can be renewed?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The renewal isn't a big deal if you have met 730 days.

The bigger issue is not getting reported at the port of entry. If you do get reported for not meeting RO, you will be allowed in. However, you will stop getting credit for any days you stay till you win your appeal. So even if you enter Canada and it takes 8 months to go through the revocation + appeal, those eight months don't count.

If you win the appeal, you will once again start accumulating days that will count towards RO. If you lose, then you're a foreign national and need to leave Canada.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
The renewal isn't a big deal if you have met 730 days.

The bigger issue is not getting reported at the port of entry. If you do get reported for not meeting RO, you will be allowed in. However, you will stop getting credit for any days you stay till you win your appeal. So even if you enter Canada and it takes 8 months to go through the revocation + appeal, those eight months don't count.

If you win the appeal, you will once again start accumulating days that will count towards RO. If you lose, then you're a foreign national and need to leave Canada.
Hello I have a question. I was under the impression that if someone out of his 5 years stayed out of Canada for 3 years and returned back for the last 2 years to fulfill RO and after living for 2 years his second phase of 5 years will be started means for citizenship he needs to spend 2 years from the initial 5 years and now 3 years out the second period of 5 years. All in all 5 years. Is it correct or after fulfilling 2 years of RO in the next period of 5 years he needs to be in Canada for 1 more year for citizenship?

Kindly advise??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello I have a question. I was under the impression that if someone out of his 5 years stayed out of Canada for 3 years and returned back for the last 2 years to fulfill RO and after living for 2 years his second phase of 5 years will be started means for citizenship he needs to spend 2 years from the initial 5 years and now 3 years out the second period of 5 years. All in all 5 years. Is it correct or after fulfilling 2 years of RO in the next period of 5 years he needs to be in Canada for 1 more year for citizenship?

Kindly advise??
The rule for citizenship is simple - you need to be a PR, and have been physically present in Canada for 1095 days in the past 5 years to qualify. That's all. You can even get half a day for every day you spent as a temporary resident (up to a maximum of 1 year).

There's no first phase or second phase or anything like that.

Read this - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/physical-presence-intent-reside-requirements.html#s03

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
The rule for citizenship is simple - you need to be a PR, and have been physically present in Canada for 1095 days in the past 5 years to qualify. That's all. You can even get half a day for every day you spent as a temporary resident (up to a maximum of 1 year).

There's no first phase or second phase or anything like that.

Read this - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/physical-presence-intent-reside-requirements.html#s03
Thanks so I will become PR next week i.e. June 4, 2019 and that’s when my 5 years period start. I m planning to stay out of Canada from June 8, 2019 to May 31, 2022.

Now I have to stay from 1 June 2022 to 7 June 2024 that will fulfill my RO plus 1 extra year from 8 June 2024 to 8 June 2025 for citizenship eligibility?

Is that correct?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks so I will become PR next week i.e. June 4, 2019 and that’s when my 5 years period start. I m planning to stay out of Canada from June 8, 2019 to May 31, 2022.

Now I have to stay from 1 June 2022 to 7 June 2024 that will fulfill my RO plus 1 extra year from 8 June 2024 to 8 June 2025 for citizenship eligibility?

Is that correct?
"The rule for citizenship is simple - you need to be a PR, and have been physically present in Canada for 1095 days in the past 5 years (from the day you apply) to qualify. That's all. You can even get half a day for every day you spent as a temporary resident (up to a maximum of 1 year)."

You can figure out the dates yourself. The rules are very simple.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
"The rule for citizenship is simple - you need to be a PR, and have been physically present in Canada for 1095 days in the past 5 years (from the day you apply) to qualify. That's all. You can even get half a day for every day you spent as a temporary resident (up to a maximum of 1 year)."

You can figure out the dates yourself. The rules are very simple.
Ok thanks which means if I will apply in Jun 2025 then the time from June 2020 will be the 5 years period. Even though my landing will have been 6 years old from June 4 2019

Right dear?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Is that correct?
There have been MULTIPLE major changes to the requirements for grant citizenship in just the last FOUR YEARS. No one can definitively say what is "correct" about meeting requirements SIX years from now (with at least two federal elections in the meantime).

Beyond that, the plan is rife with RISK. Way, way, way too soon to begin speculating how to navigate the vagaries of what real life will entail for someone who does not even plan to settle in Canada for another three years.

For context and perspective: scores of PRs have planned to make a so-called soft-landing and then return later, within a year or two, to actually settle in Canada, BUT then the twists and turns of real life delayed their actual return to Canada, and many of them have ended up in this forum spilling tales of woe about falling short of meeting the Residency Obligation, and more than a few who did get to Canada in time to be in compliance but still telling tales of woe when, after cutting-it-close, IRCC challenges their accounting of time in Canada. A plan to cut-it-so-close as to just get to Canada barely under-the-wire tends to be foolishly fraught with wishful thinking.

If you are among those super-confident of actually following through on such a cutting-it-close plan, such confidence is a salient sign of . . . well, not the most perspicuous thinking one might say.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
There have been MULTIPLE major changes to the requirements for grant citizenship in just the last FOUR YEARS. No one can definitively say what is "correct" about meeting requirements SIX years from now (with at least two federal elections in the meantime).

Beyond that, the plan is rife with RISK. Way, way, way too soon to begin speculating how to navigate the vagaries of what real life will entail for someone who does not even plan to settle in Canada for another three years.

For context and perspective: scores of PRs have planned to make a so-called soft-landing and then return later, within a year or two, to actually settle in Canada, BUT then the twists and turns of real life delayed their actual return to Canada, and many of them have ended up in this forum spilling tales of woe about falling short of meeting the Residency Obligation, and more than a few who did get to Canada in time to be in compliance but still telling tales of woe when, after cutting-it-close, IRCC challenges their accounting of time in Canada. A plan to cut-it-so-close as to just get to Canada barely under-the-wire tends to be foolishly fraught with wishful thinking.

If you are among those super-confident of actually following through on such a cutting-it-close plan, such confidence is a salient sign of . . . well, not the most perspicuous thinking one might say.
Thanks for the advise I agree with all u u said. I just wAnted a proper understanding of how it works. I will actually settle in 1-1.5 years aFter landing

PS-: thanks for adding new words in my vocabulary