+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal due to part time

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
I've graduated in May 2020 with Business management diploma and applied for my PGWP on June 1st and got refused on June 10th, reason which they stated was that I didn't maintain my full-time status during the program. In my fall 2018 semester, I withdrew 1 course with a W at the end of the semester because I was so stressed out and passed the other two courses. My extended study permit expires on March,2021. Any options for me? Can i re-apply again explaining the reason behind my part time?

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
At that time when i first applied for the PGWP, i didn't know i had to attach anything.
I contacted the counselling services, they are now providing me with an explanation letter to the specific policy my university has "Scheduled Break - One of the: Fall (September), Spring (January) or Summer (May) semesters provided the student remains enrolled full-time in the term preceding the break and in the term following the break."

Should I re-apply or use the IRCC Web Form to submit my new documents??
I also want to know my chances of getting the work permit exempting any further reasons.

Nijampuri

Jun 10, 2020
I am in same condition as you are
But i have not apply my PGWP yet
Because some people say you should provide explanation latter
i am scared so i am waiting for borders opening there are some chances to get work permit
If you got any updates pls let me know
It will very helpful thanks

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
i am scared so i am waiting for borders opening there are some chances to get work permit
It is recommended to apply online.(your situation might be different but my uni recommended me to apply online)
You should consult your college about your current situation and ask for an explanation letter first.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you only withdrew at the end of the course that only shows that you were likely to fail it and so dropped it at the last minute. Unfortunate since failing the course would have been better. Were you working 20 hours/week? Do you have proof of regular mental health support and/or medication. B

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
Yea, i was working part time.(Which i shouldn't have done due being part time at study)

No, i don't have any proof of medication.

Due to my uni's policy my part time can be covered as the scheduled break.(With proper explaintion which i unfortunately didn't provided the first time.

My only question left is that that should I re-apply from start or use the IRCC Web Form to submit my new documents??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yea, i was working part time.(Which i shouldn't have done due being part time at study)

Due to my uni's policy my part time can be covered as the scheduled break.(With proper explaintion which i unfortunately didn't provided the first time.

My only question left is that that should I re-apply from start or use the IRCC Web Form to submit my new documents??
Do you have records of regular mental health treatment? If so I don’t think you will be able to get a letter saying you have mental health issue.

How can your semester be a scheduled break? Was Fall 2018 your first semester. Scheduled breaks aren’t usually a flexible thing.

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
Do you have records of regular mental health treatment? If so I don’t think you will be able to get a letter saying you have mental health issue.

How can your semester be a scheduled break? Was Fall 2018 your first semester. Scheduled breaks aren’t usually a flexible thing.
As I said earlier my university's policy says that if a student remains enrolled full-time in the term preceding the term following the break, it can be considered a scheduled break, whichever the semester it maybe. I know it may sound very different from what other colleges say.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
I believe that with a well prepared application you can obtain the PGWP.

You can apply creating a Letter of Explanation (LOE) that, in a straightforward/easygoing way, explains how you meet all requirements for a PGWP. You can do it through bullet points to make easier. Also collect documents that prove everything that you said in the LOE, list them in the end of the LOE and attach each one in the order that you listed. Name the file with the name of the documents attached (E.g. Letter of Explanation_College Transcript_Certificate Of Graduation_Study Permit_Document about regular break_etc - Your_Name.pdf) that way the officer will see what you have attached from his dashboard (avoids that him/her forget to look one of the attachments).

I usually prepare the LOE in the Word as I can create the letter, add the support documents as picture and give a title for each of them (E.g: "Transcript of my Program with the periods of study " Obs: regular break from month/yy to month/yy, document from the college/university about regular break in the next attachment) and in the end I save as a pdf.

As said in the other comments in this thread, try to take a document from the college/university to specify/prove your regular break. Also make sure to have this file (LOE + attached support documents) in a logic way and easy to read (officers take around 10 minutes or less to evaluate an application). Sometimes the web-page for your program also specifies the length, regular breaks, etc... and it's also something good to attach as support document.

I would also recommend an immigration consultant in case you want to make sure your application will be very well prepared. I can suggest a very good and affordable consultant (google for 'JP Matters Immigration').

Reactions: zkm8

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018

Probably re-apply. But with a very good Letter of Explanation and support documents. You should also fill correctly the IMM5710 (I think in the final questions, they do ask about previous application in one or more questions). I would also recommend to maybe have the help of a good immigration consultant to review your forms and Letter of Explanation + support documents.

Definitively, with all explained, this time you should obtain the PGWP

Kular10

Jun 9, 2020
Probably re-apply. But with a very good Letter of Explanation and support documents. You should also fill correctly the IMM5710 (I think in the final questions, they do ask about previous application in one or more questions). I would also recommend to maybe have the help of a good immigration consultant to review your forms and Letter of Explanation + support documents.

Definitively, with all explained, this time you should obtain the PGWP
Thanks for the reply
Although I'm still waiting for the response for my application. (It's been 13 days so far, ANYONE KNOW THE WAITING PERIOD)

During my reapply, i added the Letter of Explanation i got from my university along with all the support documents. I also added an explanation on my own explaining that i meet the scheduled break requirements and therefore my eligibility for Post graduation work permit.