+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension

Arun2028

Nov 11, 2021
I have sent my application for pgwp extension after getting my new passport to:

Student work permit extensions (includes co-op, internships and post-graduation work permits)
Send your application to:
Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o Student work permits/Same employer, Station 202
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

I was granted work permit in just 1 month even though it was paper application. I received it on 20th arpil.

Note: Do not apply online for pqwp extension. Clearly tell about your situation that you got your work permit till passport expiry.

For any other enquiries ask me.
Dear Pujaholy, first off thanks for sharing all these details and answering the questions here on this thread. This has been a great help and is much appreciated. As I was about to initiate my application I just had one quick question regarding a point you had made about selecting - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer and in the "current employee" box, write "post graduation work permit"
Reading this first sounded more like we are applying for a closed(employer specific) work permit however PGPW being an Open Work Permit I thought I would want to check with you once again.

I see on IMM5710e we have this other option "Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer" - I do understand this is what we had selected when we were applying for our PGPW for the first time and it might not be the best option to select for PGPW extension.

However like I said the other option - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" sounded like applying for a employer specific permit.

I would really appreciate if you could share some more details around it. Thanks again.

Pujaholy

Apr 1, 2021
Dear Pujaholy, first off thanks for sharing all these details and answering the questions here on this thread. This has been a great help and is much appreciated. As I was about to initiate my application I just had one quick question regarding a point you had made about selecting - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer and in the "current employee" box, write "post graduation work permit"
Reading this first sounded more like we are applying for a closed(employer specific) work permit however PGPW being an Open Work Permit I thought I would want to check with you once again.

I see on IMM5710e we have this other option "Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer" - I do understand this is what we had selected when we were applying for our PGPW for the first time and it might not be the best option to select for PGPW extension.

However like I said the other option - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" sounded like applying for a employer specific permit.

I would really appreciate if you could share some more details around it. Thanks again.
I understand your confusion. To be honest, I'm not an IRCC member or an immigrant officer, so even I'm also not 100% sure. I just shared what I did and I got my extension this way. I would like to tell you one thing that this option doesn't really matter that much. You can choose either 'same employer' or 'new employer', you will still get your extension because they have your record already. But, there is a reason to choose 'same employer'. In IRCC website only its instructed to write "post graduation work permit" in "current employee" box. Now, keeping in mind that I was filling current employer section, I chose 'same employer' option. During my time, I also researched a lot about this and took a lot of advice from other people. Still I was confused, but ultimately chose this option. Bottom line is: this option really doesn't matter. You can choose whatever your heart says.

Reactions: Arun2028

Arun2028

Nov 11, 2021
I understand your confusion. To be honest, I'm not an IRCC member or an immigrant officer, so even I'm also not 100% sure. I just shared what I did and I got my extension this way. I would like to tell you one thing that this option doesn't really matter that much. You can choose either 'same employer' or 'new employer', you will still get your extension because they have your record already. But, there is a reason to choose 'same employer'. In IRCC website only its instructed to write "post graduation work permit" in "current employee" box. Now, keeping in mind that I was filling current employer section, I chose 'same employer' option. During my time, I also researched a lot about this and took a lot of advice from other people. Still I was confused, but ultimately chose this option. Bottom line is: this option really doesn't matter. You can choose whatever your heart says.
Thanks for the clarification Pujaholy

ghost114

Nov 3, 2019
Hi guys, I have a question :

If I apply for 2 postgraduate certificate (full-time but may be different school ) can I get 3 years pgwp?
thank you

Pujaholy

Apr 1, 2021
Hi guys, I have a question :

If I apply for 2 postgraduate certificate (full-time but may be different school ) can I get 3 years pgwp?
thank you
Of course you can. IRCC website has all the information about this. Please check out their website.

Neeraj122222

Feb 20, 2021
Has anybody got PGWP extension approved recently? What was the timeline? I applied in end of September 2021 and still waiting for any sort of correspondence from them. I am not able to link my application as well.

Arun2028

Nov 11, 2021
Hello all. As I was about to initiate my application for PGWP Extention (after renewing my passport), I had a question about a change in my marital status. So after my studies when I had applied for my PGPW for the first time my marital status was "SINGLE" however now as I am planning to send my PGWP Extention application my current status has changed to "MARRIED".
So my question is if I mention this status change in IMM5710 do I also need to attach some proof (like my marriage certificate) or does just adding my status as married with my spouse's name on imm5710 would suffice. Thanks

psyduck

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Has anybody got PGWP extension approved recently? What was the timeline? I applied in end of September 2021 and still waiting for any sort of correspondence from them. I am not able to link my application as well.
Hey! Any news about your pgwp extension?
I applied (paper) mid October, still could not link mine online until this day.

Brown_1

Mar 10, 2020
Hey! Any news about your pgwp extension?
I applied (paper) mid October, still could not link mine online until this day.
I applied early September it was approved on the 13th of December, I didn’t receive anything till the final decision was made.

chichi9496

Nov 28, 2021
I applied early September it was approved on the 13th of December, I didn’t receive anything till the final decision was made.
I have a question. When you get more time on your PGWP due to passport expiry, does it start from the date your original one expired, or does it start from the approval date? Say for example, your original one expired in October, and you didn't get PGWP extension approval until December. Does the remaining time start from December then?

Emmy Dots

Mar 15, 2022
Hi Everyone, I won't be able to get my new passport until Mid April, at which time I will apply for my extension, and my PGWP expires in at the end of June. I start a new job in may, my worry is that my current PGWP will expire before the new one gets here and I'll have to stop working. Does anyone know if we get implied status while waiting for our extension?

phys

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hi Everyone, I won't be able to get my new passport until Mid April, at which time I will apply for my extension, and my PGWP expires in at the end of June. I start a new job in may, my worry is that my current PGWP will expire before the new one gets here and I'll have to stop working. Does anyone know if we get implied status while waiting for our extension?
Yes you will. The only thing is you need to apply for extension before it expires

hanyxz12

Jan 4, 2021
Hi, I sent my pgwp extension application to the following address

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o Work permits—New employer, Station 555
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3 .

I mailed to unit 555 instead of unit 202 because I have to select "An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer" in IMM5710. Will my application gets rejected due to the address issue? Pretty worried about this thing cuz I am not able to link the application to my account since 3/10 (the date the documents were delivered). Thank you!

psyduck

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Got my PGWP-ext approved today. Here's my timeline.

Oct 16, 2021: Gathered docs for PGWP paper application
Oct 17: Mailed application package
Oct 19: Package delivered and received by IRCC- Edmonton (Canada post tracking)
Jan 11, 2022: Initial PGWP expires (maintained status)
Mar 3: Made an enquiry about my application thru webform (takes so long to link to online account and it exceeds processing time)
Apr 1: Got approval email from IRCC. Was able to link my application online. Currently waiting for the actual docs.

Hope others were also approved today. My friend and I got approved on the same day and almost the same time, yet we had different lodging timeline and ways (paper and online).

aghaghi19

Apr 28, 2022
Got my PGWP-ext approved today. Here's my timeline.

Oct 16, 2021: Gathered docs for PGWP paper application
Oct 17: Mailed application package
Oct 19: Package delivered and received by IRCC- Edmonton (Canada post tracking)
Jan 11, 2022: Initial PGWP expires (maintained status)
Mar 3: Made an enquiry about my application thru webform (takes so long to link to online account and it exceeds processing time)
Apr 1: Got approval email from IRCC. Was able to link my application online. Currently waiting for the actual docs.

Hope others were also approved today. My friend and I got approved on the same day and almost the same time, yet we had different lodging timeline and ways (paper and online).

Hey Psyduck,

Could you please explain that your friend applied online for PGWP extension and he/she got it without any problem.....
I really appreciate your response in advance

Thanks