+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension

goldencanada

Star Member
May 4, 2014
Hello,

Following is my situation.

I had finished 2 years Post Secondary Education.

I applied for PGWP and It was issued in May 2014 with validity up to October 2015 (11 months) because my old passport was stolen during my study. I had to get my passport re-issued which was valid for 2 years then.

I have got a new Passport with 10 years validity.

I would like to know if I am eligible for extension. What forms to fill in? Any one with similar situation? Which Unit to send our application to - Unit 202 or Unit 555 in Alberta?

One of my friend said that CIC mention in PGWP if it can be extended or was issued till Passport's expiry date. My PGWP does not state anything like that but I am eligible for 3 years PGWP.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

goldencanada said:
Hello,

Following is my situation.

I had finished 2 years Post Secondary Education.

I applied for PGWP and It was issued in May 2014 with validity up to October 2015 (11 months) because my old passport was stolen during my study. I had to get my passport re-issued which was valid for 2 years then.

I have got a new Passport with 10 years validity.

I would like to know if I am eligible for extension. What forms to fill in? Any one with similar situation? Which Unit to send our application to - Unit 202 or Unit 555 in Alberta?

One of my friend said that CIC mention in PGWP if it can be extended or was issued till Passport's expiry date. My PGWP does not state anything like that but I am eligible for 3 years PGWP.

Any suggestions will be helpful.
1. Yes you are eligible to extend the PGWP to the full time. Apply http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp If you intend to apply on paper: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp Suite 202

goldencanada

Star Member
May 4, 2014
Thank you for your help.'

One last question:

What to choose:

1. A work permit with the same employer
2. An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer

Jfk20101

Oct 8, 2013
just like your work permit mate mine doesnt say about getting a 3 years work permit but as i got my bachelors degree i am entitled to have a 3 years permit. so thats why i was a bit concerned that did you get your permit extended or did they refused it ?

goldencanada

Star Member
May 4, 2014
To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Request Letter (Very Important): http://bit.ly/PGWP_Extension_Request_Letter
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
I am in a very similar boat right know. I also had to apply for my PGWP extension for the same reasons as you. My only worry is that I think that I made a mistake and sent the application to the 202 unit rather than the 555. Do you think that this lowers the chances to have my extension approved?

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
goldencanada said:
To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Request Letter (Very Important): http://bit.ly/PGWP_Extension_Request_Letter
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

5. Application Kit:

2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.
I did almost the same as you did. However on question: Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada? I mentioned about extending my TRV visa, completely forgot to mention that I previously applied and received PGWP. Do you think it will be a reason for a negative decision ?

DanialArifRauf

Jan 12, 2016
Do you have to apply separately for a temporary resident visa or is it maintained via the pgwp? And do you choose initial work permit or work permit under same employee?
Thanks.

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
DanialArifRauf said:
Do you have to apply separately for a temporary resident visa or is it maintained via the pgwp? And do you choose initial work permit or work permit under same employee?
Thanks.
Hi DanialArifRauf,
honestly, i could be totally wrong in this, but in my understanding, i think the best option is to choose : an initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer why? because there are four options to choose from and none other suits for PGWP extension. i asked this question to my self. and i think, since i am going to apply for extension before the expiration date (atleast 30 days before, hence i cant check the RESTORATION OF YOUR STATUS AS A WORKER cuz its not expired yet. secondly, a pgwp is an open permit, so that i can work with any employer of my choice. hence the first option is also out of context. lastly, fourth option: temporary resident permit doesnt seem to fit since i am applying for POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT not resident permit.

again, i could be wrong, please check with others. and if you know it by now, please help me too. as i am going to apply next week

Regards,

Fariya12

Dec 28, 2015
Hi All,

Quick question...how long did it take before CIC sent an email confirmation for receiving the paper application for PGWP extension? It's been more than two weeks since I mailed my documents and I haven't heard anything back so far.

Any help would be appreciated : )

swgley_09

Apr 8, 2016
I've mailed mines about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard from CIC as yet either. I tried linking my paper application to my online account but I'm not getting any results in the search.

You can try that approach and see if it works for your application. Also if anyone has had any success with linking their paper account, please let me know.

mahmou21

Jan 24, 2016
Hi everyone,

I see that everyone who was in this situation had to apply through the paper application. Is there a way to apply online? Is it possible to bypass the eligibility questionnaire and apply online?

If there isn't, where can I download the application forms?

Much appreciated.

Mohamed

swgley_09

Apr 8, 2016
Unfortunately, paper is the only mentioned for extension PGWP.

All forms are available on CIC's website. Also see goldencanada instruction below:

1. Request Letter (Very Important)

5. Application Kit:

mahmou21 said:
Hi everyone,

I see that everyone who was in this situation had to apply through the paper application. Is there a way to apply online? Is it possible to bypass the eligibility questionnaire and apply online?

If there isn't, where can I download the application forms?

Much appreciated.

Mohamed

Reactions: xhalae