+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Extension (Paper Application)

Avidlearner231

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Dubai
No, you only need to photocopy your new passport and stamps if any. if you did not get any stamp while entering Canada it is ok. These days stamps are done on the Customs form itself which you print out at the airport.
Hello, I have another question about filling out the imm5710e form, for the UCI number, should I put down the one from my current pgwp? I am extending it to get the full validity of 3 years, since they only issued to my old passport.

neverb4

Oct 30, 2020
I see that we need to attach copy of our passport.
Would that be our old passport or just the new passport?

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
I see that we need to attach copy of our passport.
Would that be our old passport or just the new passport?
Document Checklist [IMM 5583] - 'PHOTOCOPIES of passport pages clearly showing the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by the Canadian authorities on your most recent entry into Canada and any other marked pages'

I had provided them first and last pages of both passports along with all the stamped pages as well. It won't hurt if you provide more pages. I received my PGWP extension approval after six months.

neverb4

Oct 30, 2020
The address on the package and the address on the Letter explaining why we are applying for extension would be the same?
If not, can someone please guide me to the correct addresses.

neverb4

Oct 30, 2020
I am so sorry for the late reply here is a response that helped me with the application:

1. Request Letter (Very Important): Extension_Request_Letter

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required"

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.
Can you please tell me which one is form IMM5556? Also the address on the letter requesting passport extension is same as the address on the entire package?
Also somewhere I read that the barcode needs to go on top. Does it mean top of the entire package? Like the outside of the package? Or just the top of all the documents inside the package?

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
How do I get this request letter that you stated below:
  1. Request Letter (Very Important): Extension Request Letter needs to be at the top

To anyone wondering about the process, I summarized what I did for my PGWP extension from posts on this thread and my timeline as well.

A. I prepared 8 documents following @penacare’s walkthrough of the IRCC guideline:
Your documents may vary depending on your situation, and as stated on your checklist (IMM5583). This also includes recent updates.

1. Request Letter (Very Important): Extension Request Letter needs to be at the top
  2. IMM5583 (required): This is the checklist
  3. IMM5710 (required): Place the barcode on top
  4. Photocopy of first page, last page of my Passport
  5. Photocopy of initial PGWP
  6. Photocopy of Final transcript
  7. Photocopy of letter from institution
  8. Photocopy of Official Receipt (required) - “Work permit (including extension) – per person” for $155 plus “Open work permit holder" for $100

Answers for some important questions on IMM5710:

B. I placed them in Canada Post Express envelope (to be able to track it) and sent to this address:

C. Timeline

• Mailed documents: November 14, 2022
  • Documents delivered: November 17, 2022
  • Link Application to the IRCC online portal: November 30, 2022 (manual link)
  • Biometrics: done previously
  • Permit Approval: February 24, 2023

D. And, if anyone will be wondering, what happens if the PGWP expires while waiting for your extension, @liji0024 answered it on this thread:

Thank you to all the responders from the thread. I wouldn’t have done it smoothly without your help. And to all who are going to go through this in the future… Good luck!

gin_ny

Mar 30, 2022
How do I get this request letter that you stated below:
This is basically the "Letter of Explanation" where you need to point out that you are requesting for an extension of your PGWP. It doesn't need to be long, mine was very short and only explaining how I am eligible for an extension.

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
This is basically the "Letter of Explanation" where you need to point out that you are requesting for an extension of your PGWP. It doesn't need to be long, mine was very short and only explaining how I am eligible for an extension.
I submitted my paper application to IRCC on January 4th and I have still not been able to link my application to my gckey IRCC account.

Any ideas why it is taking this long?

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
I submitted my paper application to IRCC on January 4th and I have still not been able to link my application to my gckey IRCC account.

Any ideas why it is taking this long?
Same! I applied on paper January 18, 2024 and no updates so far. Any news for you?

Josedi

Sep 26, 2019
Hello,

I sent my paper PGWP application - extension to Jasper Ave, Edmonton on Feb 12, and when I called IRCC, they said, "We have not received anything," and they are telling me to re-send (mail) the docs again. Any experience?

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
Hello,

I sent my paper PGWP application - extension to Jasper Ave, Edmonton on Feb 12, and when I called IRCC, they said, "We have not received anything," and they are telling me to re-send (mail) the docs again. Any experience?
Crosscheck the address you mailed it to and keep calling IRCC. Don't re-send anything yet, I had this issue too and it turned out it was just one agent giving wrong information.