VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
carlucho34 said:
Hello, thank you for your response and comments.

That is my case. My partner just graduated 2 weeks ago, and I have an OWP and have my jobs (one of them is full time). We went to a lawyer 6 months ago and she told me "if your spouse doesn't get the job, then one option is taking another program at the college". Which is basically buying a year in Canada for X amount of dollars. Then, if the CIC doesn't change the rules for international students, then we'll be in the same situation next year.

We really don't know what to do. We know people in our situation that have extended their SOWP, but I'm scared...I don't want my partner to apply for his PGWP and then me not having anything.

What should we do?
Based upon what other people have experienced i.e. getting SOWP from inside Canada even when the Principal PGWP holder doesn't have a skilled job, I believe it is worth a shot.

What you can do is take your current job offer and relevant proof along so if they ask, they understand that you are already working and have the basis.

Go to a major border which others tells you they have done this before at, on a week day in working hours (off hours usually have junior officers not usually very familiar with the process).

Best option among all of these, try that the principal applicant gets a job offer / assurance first and then drive to border for both PGWP + SOWP.

If an employer knows you can get it right away, getting job offer shouldn't be THAT difficult as opposed to convincing an employer to wait months for a work permit approval

carlucho34

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks a lot for your input. :)

Are you aware of how difficult it is to find a job in Toronto? Not just any job, but one in the A,B or 0 NOC lists.

fkl said:
Based upon what other people have experienced i.e. getting SOWP from inside Canada even when the Principal PGWP holder doesn't have a skilled job, I believe it is worth a shot.

What you can do is take your current job offer and relevant proof along so if they ask, they understand that you are already working and have the basis.

Go to a major border which others tells you they have done this before at, on a week day in working hours (off hours usually have junior officers not usually very familiar with the process).

Best option among all of these, try that the principal applicant gets a job offer / assurance first and then drive to border for both PGWP + SOWP.

If an employer knows you can get it right away, getting job offer shouldn't be THAT difficult as opposed to convincing an employer to wait months for a work permit approval

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Thank you for sharing your experience, Kumar. I myself just flagpoled 2 weeks ago to obtain my PGWP. The officers issued me a 3year PGWP, no difficult questions asked.

Now, I do have multiple job offers but falls under NOC C. My husband OWP will be expiring in 2 months and I have been really thinking about our next step since the CIC website states that I need an NOC 0, A or B job to extend his work permit. My husband is working under NOC B and his company will be processing for his LMIA in support of our PR Application (without work permit). Now his work permit is dependent on me getting a skilled job.

But your experience gave me a bit of hope. :D :D If this worked for others, then we might just give it a shot too! Did the officers ask for bank statements?

I send you a message privately as I have a few more questions to ask.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
carlucho34 said:

Are you aware of how difficult it is to find a job in Toronto? Not just any job, but one in the A,B or 0 NOC lists.
I believe its even more difficult in Vancouver :mad: :mad:

carlucho34

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
It's so hard. It took me a year and a half to find a full time job.

Listen, I went to a lawyer yesterday and I wasn't impressed. She sent my partner back to College to take another program. Even though we know spouses are getting their extensions.

Anyway, my partner went to his college today and talked to the immigration counselor. She told the CIC is issuing permits when the spouse with the OWP has a full time job in the A, B NOC codes (which is your, and my case). When you do your application, submit very explanatory employment letters (salary, time of employment, responsibilities). The counselor told us it works, and it makes sense, even though the CIC works by nonsense BS.

Good luck and keep me posted! I'll do the same. It's worth the shot.

frustratedcanadian said:
I believe its even more difficult in Vancouver :mad: :mad:

supercow

Nov 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

My post-graduate work permit expire July 3, 2016. I plan to send all my work permit extension paper package June 29, 2016 by UPS, but I am not sure whether CIC can get it by July 3. Which date matters to CIC? Expire date (July 3) or mail date (June 29)?

Thanks,

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
carlucho34 said:
It's so hard. It took me a year and a half to find a full time job.

Listen, I went to a lawyer yesterday and I wasn't impressed. She sent my partner back to College to take another program. Even though we know spouses are getting their extensions.

Anyway, my partner went to his college today and talked to the immigration counselor. She told the CIC is issuing permits when the spouse with the OWP has a full time job in the A, B NOC codes (which is your, and my case). When you do your application, submit very explanatory employment letters (salary, time of employment, responsibilities). The counselor told us it works, and it makes sense, even though the CIC works by nonsense BS.

Good luck and keep me posted! I'll do the same. It's worth the shot.
Will you be doing it through the border or online application?

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
supercow said:
Hello everyone,

My post-graduate work permit expire July 3, 2016. I plan to send all my work permit extension paper package June 29, 2016 by UPS, but I am not sure whether CIC can get it by July 3. Which date matters to CIC? Expire date (July 3) or mail date (June 29)?

Thanks,
I am not quite sure if you could extend your post graduate work permit.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
carlucho34 said:

You are welcome.

Unfortunately, there cannot be a generic answer to this. Difficulty of finding a job depends upon a lot of factors chiefly focused around what you bring to the table. But here are few general things.

a) Canada isn't exactly full of jobs with not enough people. There are plenty of unemployed or under employed locals.
b) Canada is some what biased (Which country won't) towards local experience and education. So if there are two applicants with all else being equal for a single position, they would definitely go with the local.
c) Many professions are regulated e.g. you cannot be a medical doctor, engineer or lawyer just by having a foreign (albeit) well recognized degree. You still have to get local accreditation and gain license to practice which might be a daunting task in some cases. E.g. becoming a doctor here after having a first class doctors education and license from an Asian country might be almost the same as doing it from scratch again.
d) Toronto in particular is a sea of immigrants and is the second most expensive city in the country (after Vancouver). So majority of horror stories of immigrants not finding jobs or not good jobs in their professions - originate there. If you have another option, chose a different city.

Having said all that, the younger some body is / and with Canadian education, getting a good job won't be that difficult.

Also there still exists many fields in which specialized qualifications are needed by employers and there aren't enough Canadians. Such people are hired internationally too with employer sponsored work permits. Chances of these are slim and those are very specialized areas, but it does happen. The applicants aren't the next Einsteins - they just happen to have the right qualifications and experience. I know a good deal of people who came here this way. But again these guys weren't doing bad in their home countries either.

Hope that helps.

azh7018

Feb 8, 2016
it sounds easy

is it possible to get sowp by this way for spouse of study permit holder ?
indian passport holders

kumar30

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-01-2017
AOR Received.
29th Jan
Med's Done....
26th Nov
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2017
carlucho34 said:
Hello, thank you for your response and comments.

That is my case. My partner just graduated 2 weeks ago, and I have an OWP and have my jobs (one of them is full time). We went to a lawyer 6 months ago and she told me "if your spouse doesn't get the job, then one option is taking another program at the college". Which is basically buying a year in Canada for X amount of dollars. Then, if the CIC doesn't change the rules for international students, then we'll be in the same situation next year.

We really don't know what to do. We know people in our situation that have extended their SOWP, but I'm scared...I don't want my partner to apply for his PGWP and then me not having anything.

What should we do?
If you have USA visa, then i would recommend you to apply at the flag point... Be nice to the officers and they will be nice to you...
if you dont have USA visa, then apply online.. it takes aprox 24-30 days to get your PGWP and OWP.. apply together...

Good Luck.

lourve

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Hi. I just want to know if what you did is what they said "flagpoling"? I read something like this in other thread a successful flagpoling. They get their visa in an hour unlike going through the hassle with the CIC. I'm not sure regarding this details though..

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Yes its called flagpoling. Officers at the border pretty much knows what this term means.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
My husband applied tonight for his SOWP at the Peace Arch Border and was issued 3 years Open Work Permit.. same validity as my PGWP! :D :D :D SOO HAPPY!!!