+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and Spouse Open Work Permit Extension

Lady_Danger

Oct 18, 2018
Hi everyone,

My husband is finishing his studies on April 2019. I am on a spouse open work permit. Study and work permit expires on July 30 2019. Here are my questions:

1. What are the requirements for extending my spouse open work permit?
2. How long before my permit expires should I apply for extension?
3. Can I continue to work on implied status while waiting for a decision after I applied for extension?
4. Should my spouse also have an NOC A, B or 0 for me to qualify with SOWP extension?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

My husband is finishing his studies on April 2019. I am on a spouse open work permit. Study and work permit expires on July 30 2019. Here are my questions:

1. What are the requirements for extending my spouse open work permit?
2. How long before my permit expires should I apply for extension?
3. Can I continue to work on implied status while waiting for a decision after I applied for extension?
4. Should my spouse also have an NOC A, B or 0 for me to qualify with SOWP extension?
Your spouse must have a NOC A, B, or 0 job and 3 pay slips for you to apply for a work permit. If he doesn't have that by the time your permit is going to expire, you will need to apply to change your status to visitor.

Reactions: Jkilo

Lady_Danger

Oct 18, 2018
Your spouse must have a NOC A, B, or 0 job and 3 pay slips for you to apply for a work permit. If he doesn't have that by the time your permit is going to expire, you will need to apply to change your status to visitor.
Thanks for your reply! What if he gets all those (NOC 0,A or B job & 3 payslips) and apply for extension let’s say a month before my work permit expires, and considering the longer processing times now, can I continue working while waiting for a decision?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply! What if he gets all those (NOC 0,A or B job & 3 payslips) and apply for extension let’s say a month before my work permit expires, and considering the longer processing times now, can I continue working while waiting for a decision?
Yes.

Rammysidhu

May 2, 2019
Hi

I just finished my study ..but my spouse,s open work permit is still valid for one year so can I apply for his open work permit along with my pgwp..his owp is valid till April 2020.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

I just finished my study ..but my spouse,s open work permit is still valid for one year so can I apply for his open work permit along with my pgwp..his owp is valid till April 2020.
For a spouse to have an open work permit due to a PGWp then the PGWP holder needs to have a job classified as NOC 0,A or B and show the job will be 6 months or more as stated in posts above

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

Rammysidhu

May 2, 2019
For a spouse to have an open work permit due to a PGWp then the PGWP holder needs to have a job classified as NOC 0,A or B and show the job will be 6 months or more as stated in posts above

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html
Thanks for your reply..but I am bit confuse. I came here on 1st jan 2018 on study bases and my husband came here on open work permit which is still valid for a year. I have finished my study and needs to apply for post graduation work permit.I have no idea whether I need to apply for his open work permit with my pgwp or we have to wait because his work permit is still valid for a year. Kindly suggest

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply..but I am bit confuse. I came here on 1st jan 2018 on study bases and my husband came here on open work permit which is still valid for a year. I have finished my study and needs to apply for post graduation work permit.I have no idea whether I need to apply for his open work permit with my pgwp or we have to wait because his work permit is still valid for a year. Kindly suggest
His work permit is valid until it expires. He doesn't need to apply for a new one right now.

ayk

Nov 29, 2010
Hi, everyone. My brother is seeking extension of open work permit extension, I am coating his message here. Please guide him if you can
"My wife got PGWP on June 1, is working as NOC B and has three pay stubs.
I want to extend for my open work permit, please can you send me the link to apply online and also give me information regarding which form I should fill. I am confused, any help is sincerely appreciated
Thanks for your inputs in advance".

Rammysidhu

May 2, 2019
Hi everyone.
I really need your assistance. My husband is on open work permit whereas I got my PGWP. in September. i want to extend his work permit. I recently got a job that falls in NOC B but I am on a probation period. My question is Does it matter for CIC if i am on probation period. Kindly Suggest

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone.
I really need your assistance. My husband is on open work permit whereas I got my PGWP. in September. i want to extend his work permit. I recently got a job that falls in NOC B but I am on a probation period. My question is Does it matter for CIC if i am on probation period. Kindly Suggest
No.