+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Hey @danny_scars how are you?

I think even after landing you can go back to the home country and stay for 2 years before then moving over for the remaining 3 years to meet the PR renewal residency requirements.

There is something where you can argue that your center of economic activity is NOT Canada and hence only pay taxes in the home country.

For example if you own no property in Canada derive no income from Canada do not reside in Canada and spouse and yourself live in home country 365 days of the year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

You can read more there. You can make a good case for argument that despite landing and obtaining PR your parents have not moved to Canada at all. Hence they are not considered residents of Canada....yet.

To be safe speak to an accountant. But I think this is a fair argument. No dwelling. No dependents. No income from Canada. You are also preparing to make the move over the next 2 years.
I already found an accountant that moved here from Brazil and continued on the same line of work. I booked a consultation for May - after tax season.
My mom has been living here for at least 4 or 5 years now (she only leaves for maybe a month when supervisa time's up) and once she gets her PR I have no reason to send her back home - in fact I shiver every time she has to go back.
I have no issue whatsoever with her filing and paying for taxes, as pointed out by Mrs. Almighty my mom will be enjoying the perks of being a resident, I just legit did not think about the ins and outs of that: she already pays 27.5% on her pension back home and so my first reaction to the tax post on this thread was to freak out a little bit. I just need to gather the correct information and make sure this is indeed for the best - luckily we don't have investments, properties, family or anything really back home, just her retirement pension and the plan is for her not to work here.
Anyway, I am still stuck In Progress... I will definitely find more information in May, I am happy I have found this thread and got to think about this. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey @danny_scars how are you?

I think even after landing you can go back to the home country and stay for 2 years before then moving over for the remaining 3 years to meet the PR renewal residency requirements.

There is something where you can argue that your center of economic activity is NOT Canada and hence only pay taxes in the home country.

For example if you own no property in Canada derive no income from Canada do not reside in Canada and spouse and yourself live in home country 365 days of the year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

You can read more there. You can make a good case for argument that despite landing and obtaining PR your parents have not moved to Canada at all. Hence they are not considered residents of Canada....yet.

To be safe speak to an accountant. But I think this is a fair argument. No dwelling. No dependents. No income from Canada. You are also preparing to make the move over the next 2 years.
You can certainly try but it will be a very difficult argument if your family member is living in Canada the majority of the time, has sought out anyform of services like any form of medical care. Will be up to CRA bought definitely wouldn’t count on it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Frightens me when people seems to do no research on the ins and outs of PGP and only think about the benefits they will have. Wish the government would also spell out the potential costs because with the cost of living and the LICO level I don’t think most of the families are prepared financially for the expenses. Many Canadian families are not either but at least they will have some pension money that often is used to cover the costs. There are so many things related to health that are no covered or only partially covered so the children need to be prepared to cover the costs. I imagine that most families would not be able to have one family member quit work if their family member got serious ill or would not be able to pay the 1K+/month if their family member qualified (and eventually got a bed) for a public nursing home. Many other expenses I could list but getting older in Canada usually involves some big expenses that many, even longterm Canadians, may have to go without because of affordability issues.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I already found an accountant that moved here from Brazil and continued on the same line of work. I booked a consultation for May - after tax season.
My mom has been living here for at least 4 or 5 years now (she only leaves for maybe a month when supervisa time's up) and once she gets her PR I have no reason to send her back home - in fact I shiver every time she has to go back.
I have no issue whatsoever with her filing and paying for taxes, as pointed out by Mrs. Almighty my mom will be enjoying the perks of being a resident, I just legit did not think about the ins and outs of that: she already pays 27.5% on her pension back home and so my first reaction to the tax post on this thread was to freak out a little bit. I just need to gather the correct information and make sure this is indeed for the best - luckily we don't have investments, properties, family or anything really back home, just her retirement pension and the plan is for her not to work here.
Anyway, I am still stuck In Progress... I will definitely find more information in May, I am happy I have found this thread and got to think about this. :)
Sorry I didnt know that your mum has been living in Canada for 4 to 5 years already. But she has been here as a non resident albeit on super visa.

I would suggest going with one of the big accounting firms rather than solo practitioners or small accounting setups.

Reactions: danny_scars

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I didnt know that your mum has been living in Canada for 4 to 5 years already. But she has been here as a non resident albeit on super visa.

I would suggest going with one of the big accounting firms rather than solo practitioners or small accounting setups.
To be fair she has only been visiting for 4-5 years under a supervisa so would not be a tax resident yet. It also sounds like it wasn’t continuous.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi Folks,
My mom landed on March 4th as a PR (PGP). We live in Ontario, can someone share what all things she has to get like bank account, PHOTO ID, SIN etc.... To my knowledge I will be responsible for all her financial needs till 20 years but someone told her that, she is eligible for some kind of pension, is it true ?
FYI: She is 60 year's old.
TIA.
Open a bank account with the passport (or get a Ontario Photo ID card with passport), the statement (or photo card) will come within 4 wks, you can apply for the OHIP card with that (waiting would be still 3 months from landing), also get a SIN card.

They are not eligible for pension but will get Old Age Security after 10 yrs from landing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Open a bank account with the passport (or get a Ontario Photo ID card with passport), the statement (or photo card) will come within 4 wks, you can apply for the OHIP card for that (waiting would be still 3 months from landing), also get a SIN card.

They are not eligible for pension but will get Old Age Security after 10 yrs from landing.
Thanks mate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks mate.
OAS is minimal so you will still be responsible for the majority of herexpenses for 20years. There are residency requirement to continue to receive OHIP even with a valid card so I would encourage you to read up on them on the OHIP website if you are already not aware of them. The honest reality is you will be likely be responsible financially for life because if she never worked in Canada she will never qualify for very much money and the quality of life is not very good even with a full Canadian pension if you don’t have savings or family support. Many seniors are reliant on charity to get by like food banks. After 20 years you won’t have to pay for things like bed fees in longterm care so a parent will be considered as a low income senior if they have no other assets and any pension she does receive will be diverted to the longterm care home.

Last edited:
Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi Folks,
Just to let you know that if any of your parents are already landed here in Ontario, Canada. They can apply for their OHIP card and get the 3 months waiting period exempted now. Service Ontario will issue a temporary file number you can use.
Good luck !

Reactions: Ottawan83 and rsky

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Folks,
Just to let you know that if any of your parents are already landed here in Ontario, Canada. They can apply for their OHIP card and get the 3 months waiting period exempted now. Service Ontario will issue a temporary file number you can use.
Good luck !
This is only for a short period of time primarily so people can access treatment for covid 19. It will go back to the 3 month wait period.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
This is only for a short period of time primarily so people can access treatment for covid 19. It will go back to the 3 month wait period.
Yes , it may be only for a shorter period due to COVID-19 but people can access any treatment which is covered under OHIP, it's not only for COVID-19 to my understanding.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes , it may be only for a shorter period due to COVID-19 but people can access any treatment which is covered under OHIP, it's not only for COVID-19 to my understanding.
Thanks.
Just clarifying for those who may be reading the post later on. Many medical offices are not seeing people at all or in person so getting in as a new patient may be difficult. In my family and friends we have had a mixture of cancellation and phone/online appointments. Surgeries have been cancelled except one brain tumour surgery and one family member was only allowed to visit the first day. Otherwise no visitors for the rest of the stay. There is minimal access to various health services to try and prevent spread of of covid 19.

Last edited:

techmindz

Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2015
Hello everyone,

Out of curiosity for parents landing in Alberta - what other benefits do they qualify for aside from health benefits?

Do they qualify for prescription insurance/drug plan too?

Thanks

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hello every one,
I found this forum very useful. I need your experts on this following situation. My parents are on Super visa and they live in Ontario. I know they need to have Ontario photo card (as an address proof) to apply for health card (OHIP). They are almost in their last stage of receiving PR.. I am just wondering if they can apply for and get an Ontario photo card now? so that they can apply for OHIP once they received their PR. in this way we can minimize the waiting time .. Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks