+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, have anyone's parents landed in Alberta and applied for health card? I know you can apply for it as soon as you land, but they won't have any address proof. What was used as the address proof (or just the COPR/Passport are enough)? They will live with me, so no lease or utility bills in their name. Bank statements can take more than a month to be mailed. Thanks.
You can apply right away but your parents must remain in Alberta for the first 12 months. The list of accepted documents should be online. Assume they will signup for a bank account. Banking information should have their address.

rsky

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I am in dilemma because of this Coronovirus situation... anybody doing early landing procedure for parents?our original plan of landing scheduled on July.
But seems like need to call them early, you never know.
Anybody on same boats, suggestions about trip cancellation insurance , formalities at YYZ airports in these situation. Give some insights please.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I am in dilemma because of this Coronovirus situation... anybody doing early landing procedure for parents?our original plan of landing scheduled on July.
Anybody on same boats, suggestions about trip cancellation insurance , formalities at YYZ airports in these situation. Give some insights please.
The virus issue will be much slow down during the summer time. Everyone is in panic mode now...It would be a good idea if you keep the process for July/August

Reactions: rsky

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi Folks,
My mom landed on March 4th as a PR (PGP). We live in Ontario, can someone share what all things she has to get like bank account, PHOTO ID, SIN etc.... To my knowledge I will be responsible for all her financial needs till 20 years but someone told her that, she is eligible for some kind of pension, is it true ?
FYI: She is 60 year's old.
TIA.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So parents have to file taxes back home and in Canada - even though they do not work here?
She is either a tax resident or not. If she is a tax resident, she needs to file tax on income she gets from ANYWHERE in the world.
It's less straight than a US citizen, where he/she has to file tax on world income regardless on where he/she lives. (for life)

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
She is either a tax resident or not. If she is a tax resident, she needs to file tax on income she gets from ANYWHERE in the world.
It's less straight than a US citizen, where he/she has to file tax on world income regardless on where he/she lives. (for life)
This haven't crossed my mind for a second. I mean, filing is fine, I just wouldn't want her to get taxed twice :confused:
Where would I go to get more information about this?SHould I speak with an accountant, like H&R Block or call CRA - not during tax season, of course?

Appreciate your guys' input!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This haven't crossed my mind for a second. I mean, filing is fine, I just wouldn't want her to get taxed twice :confused:
Where would I go to get more information about this?SHould I speak with an accountant, like H&R Block or call CRA - not during tax season, of course?

It depends on the other country where she files her income from. If that country has tax treaty with Canadian gov, then she will get credit on the tax she already paid (usually Canadian tax is higher) and will only need to pay the difference to CRA.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/tax-policy/tax-treaties/in-force.html

I think this information can be easily found on CRA website. It's pretty common to report foreign income and capital gain.

Reactions: danny_scars

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You need an accountant that knows about the Indian and Canadian tax system. You can’t just go to a basic tax preparer. Really also depends on whether it is just her pension or other income like investment income, rental income, gains from the sale of a house. If a person is enjoying the services in Canada they should also be paying into the tax base just like everyone else.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hi Everyone,
Let them land ASAP.
This way they become PR now and get the status/PR Card.
Once they arrive, take them to ServiceCanada office to get their SIN#.
Then open bank accounts. Also visit ServiceOntario to apply for Ontario Photo Card (its good as ID).
The photo card comes in 1-2 weeks generally and it has address on it so it can be used as a proof of address (so once u get this you can go to serviceontario to apply for the OHIP health cards). Our parents did this when they landed. (It worked.)

As for tax stuff, i suggest they keep their property/money abroad where it already is, and don't bring to Canada as Canada may tax them on it.
Why pay tax again when they already paid taxes there ?? Avoid double taxation!

I would not risk taking forever to do landing. Documents can get lost, stolen etc so its not worth hassle. Have them land ASAP and they can return back if necessary to return later. (so you can send or take their pr cards to them then they can come back as PRs)

Reactions: rsky

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Let them land ASAP.
This way they become PR now and get the status/PR Card.
Once they arrive, take them to ServiceCanada office to get their SIN#.
Then open bank accounts. Also visit ServiceOntario to apply for Ontario Photo Card (its good as ID).
The photo card comes in 1-2 weeks generally and it has address on it so it can be used as a proof of address (so once u get this you can go to serviceontario to apply for the OHIP health cards). Our parents did this when they landed. (It worked.)

As for tax stuff, i suggest they keep their property/money abroad where it already is, and don't bring to Canada as Canada may tax them on it.
Why pay tax again when they already paid taxes there ?? Avoid double taxation!

I would not risk taking forever to do landing. Documents can get lost, stolen etc so its not worth hassle. Have them land ASAP and they can return back if necessary to return later. (so you can send or take their pr cards to them then they can come back as PRs)
Canada do not tax money they bring in. Regardless if they bring the money in or not, they need to report their world wide income and capital gain (if they sell their properties after becoming a PR). Contact an accountant whose specialized in both Canada and your home country's tax.

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
You need an accountant that knows about the Indian and Canadian tax system. You can’t just go to a basic tax preparer. Really also depends on whether it is just her pension or other income like investment income, rental income, gains from the sale of a house. If a person is enjoying the services in Canada they should also be paying into the tax base just like everyone else.
I agree that she should contribute to the system if she is living here, no need for a smart-ass comment. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the response @YVR123 - we do have a tax treaty, as a matter of fact, https://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/text-texte.aspx?lang=eng&id=102239
I will do more reading on it, for sure!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree that she should contribute to the system if she is living here, no need for a smart-ass comment. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the response @YVR123 - we do have a tax treaty, as a matter of fact, https://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/text-texte.aspx?lang=eng&id=102239

Given the fact that you hadn’t even considered she could be taxed and would not want her pension taxed twice with a :confused: not sure what kind of response you expect. She is likely to receive much more benefits from Canada even if her pension been taxed twice (which it won’t be). People tend to use the majority of all health spending in the last 3 years of life. Wasn’t necessary meant to be smart-ass but given the amount of comments about PGP demanding faster processing and calling CIC lazy plus posts asking what benefits parents can apply for as soon as they land (including trying to qualify for benefits as low income seniors) it seems crazy not to consider that parents may have to pay taxes on their international incomes.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hey @danny_scars how are you?

I think even after landing you can go back to the home country and stay for 2 years before then moving over for the remaining 3 years to meet the PR renewal residency requirements.

There is something where you can argue that your center of economic activity is NOT Canada and hence only pay taxes in the home country.

For example if you own no property in Canada derive no income from Canada do not reside in Canada and spouse and yourself live in home country 365 days of the year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

You can read more there. You can make a good case for argument that despite landing and obtaining PR your parents have not moved to Canada at all. Hence they are not considered residents of Canada....yet.

To be safe speak to an accountant. But I think this is a fair argument. No dwelling. No dependents. No income from Canada. You are also preparing to make the move over the next 2 years.

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Given the fact that you hadn’t even considered she could be taxed and would not want her pension taxed twice with a :confused: not sure what kind of response you expect. She is likely to receive much more benefits from Canada even if her pension been taxed twice (which it won’t be). People tend to use the majority of all health spending in the last 3 years of life. Wasn’t necessary meant to be smart-ass but given the amount of comments about PGP demanding faster processing and calling CIC lazy plus posts asking what benefits parents can apply for as soon as they land (including trying to qualify for benefits as low income seniors) it seems crazy not to consider that parents may have to pay taxes on their international incomes.
*pushing the biggest ignore button imaginable*