+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP-2021

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But people under 40 likely have parents of their own!
Which is why Canada limits how many people can sponsor their parents. If Canada allowed everyone to sponsor their parents it would not offset our ageing population and would add to the already huge problems we have with longterm care and healthcare in general.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Canada isn’t a corporation. It’s a country with living breathing people that are choosing to come here. It can’t just be the case that old parents in= problems
and young skilled people in= prosperity. I’m shocked that this is being treated like an economic equation.

People need their families to successfully settle. If a family is together then long term outcomes are far better for new immigrants. This is a matter of families choosing to settle in a new country and people need support and fare better if the family is together.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Canada isn’t a corporation. It’s a country with living breathing people that are choosing to come here. It can’t just be the case that old parents in= problems
and young skilled people in= prosperity. I’m shocked that this is being treated like an economic equation.

People need their families to successfully settle. If a family is together then long term outcomes are far better for new immigrants. This is a matter of families choosing to settle in a new country and people need support and fare better if the family is together.
Those applying are assumed to have weighed the risk of family separation when they make the application to come to Canada. Seems a bit foolish to make the move to a new country, without having assessed all possible repercussions and then expect the requirements to change because it suits your needs.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Perhaps IRCC is waiting to re-open the program after the tax filing deadline because by then most people would have their NOA’s for this year. Just a thought that came to mind

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Yes. Family are kept together when applying for immigration and there is family sponsorship.
BUT parents, grandparents and adult brothers and sisters are NOT consider part of the core family.

It is pretty clear in IRCC's application and guideline for PR applications. When you fill in the family information, they are clear about family, and about additional family (including all the siblings, parents, adult children ...etc.)

So immigration is an important life changing decision. New immigrates need to be prepared to move away from their extended families.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Canada is essentially a corporation. Parent and grandparent sponsorship was never guaranteed or they would be included as part of PR applications. If you explored immigration to many countries you will realize that many countries do not allow parent sponsorship without access to public healthcare. For example in Australia you can only sponsor a parent if they pay for private healthcare. They will not be allowed to access the public system. Canada does not have a private and public system so is not able to offer that options. If they had the option I assume Canada would also require parents to py for private healthcare. Would add the cost to sponsor a parent is significantly higher as well. Canada views family as a spouse and child. At the end of the day immigration is a choice. We have huge wait times for access to many healthcare services, believe around 2 million people don't have access to a GP and longterm care is severely underfunded which covid has highlighted. Before accepting more seniors we should at the very least make sure we can care for those already in Canada. Wait times for longterm care is often years, hospital beds are being used by seniors that are stuck waiting for a bed elsewhere, wait times for surgeries like joint replacement and cataract can be years, etc. and covid has made all these wait times longer. Would also add that although children are described as being financially responsible for their children they really aren't fully responsible. They still have access to many of the low income senior programs including low income senior housing. There is a fine balance between allowing parents to reunite without punishing seniors who are already in Canada and many have been taxpayers for decades.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I’m just amazed by the level of entitlement individuals display on this topic , as well as the lack of in-depth investigation people fail to do PRIOR to immigrating to another country . I’m positive some people spend more time investigating what type of tires to install on their car , versus what happens to mom & pop when they go live in another country . Then turn it around where they feel Canada did them wrong .
Now, that’s shocking, but in reality guess not really surprising. People fail to investigate, find out that mom & dad can’t move , and instead of taking ownership of their failure to investigate, throw Canada under the proverbial immigration bus.

Last edited:

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
I’m just amazed by the level of entitlement individuals display on this topic , as well as the lack of in-depth investigation people fail to do PRIOR to immigrating to another country . I’m positive some people spend more time investigating what type of tires to install on their car , versus what happens to mom & pop when they go live in another country . Then turn it around where they feel Canada did them wrong .
Now, that’s shocking, but in reality guess not really surprising. People fail to investigate, find out that mom & dad can’t move , and instead of taking ownership of their failure to investigate, throw Canada under the proverbial immigration bus.
Respectfully, I’d just like to start off by saying that I have a great amount of respect for all forum members on here and my purpose is to engage in constructive dialogue.
Sometimes assumptions that certain people are “entitled” without fully understanding each immigrants unique set of family circumstances can come across as slightly hurtful.not all people can be painted with the same brush. Not everyone has a cookie cutter story where they a) decide to immigrate b) then call their parents over without doing prior research.
Without divulging too much personal information, I’ve been in Canada for the past 13 years ( paying taxes)and family circumstances have now mandated for the family to be re-unified where as before it wasn’t necessary. There’s 1000’s of families with unique situations.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Respectfully, I’d just like to start off by saying that I have a great amount of respect for all forum members on here and my purpose is to engage in constructive dialogue.
Sometimes assumptions that certain people are “entitled” without fully understanding each immigrants unique set of family circumstances can come across as slightly hurtful.not all people can be painted with the same brush. Not everyone has a cookie cutter story where they a) decide to immigrate b) then call their parents over without doing prior research.
Without divulging too much personal information, I’ve been in Canada for the past 13 years ( paying taxes)and family circumstances have now mandated for the family to be re-unified where as before it wasn’t necessary. There’s 1000’s of families with unique situations.
There is no need for you to explain yourself. You don't need approval from anyone here.

You love your parents and your family and you want everyone to be together.

These days everyone has their own view and agenda. And hardly anyone ever changes what they think based on what someone else says or writes. So don't bother trying.

Hope you get lucky in the next lottery.

Cheers!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

All parents eventually age so all immigrants should be discussing a longterm care plan in their home country before deciding to move to Canada knowing a move to Canada may not be an option for various reasons ( medically inadmissible, not selected for PGP, job loss not qualifying for LICO, etc.). If the family is not comfortable with the options then immigration may not be the right thing for the family. We see many people arriving in Csnada expecting to arrive in Canada and apply for a supervisa right away (not possible) and qualify to sponsor their parents after 3 years. They essentislly will have their parents move to Canada and plan on extending the supervisa until they get PR. The supervisa was a great compromise to allow parents to visit longer but allowing for so many extensions gives people the false impression that they have moved to Canada. When parents eventually get an extension refusal they are in disbelief and have no home to return to.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I received AOR today.

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just wondering....is there a way to subscribe to a notification when program opens for accepting applications, rather than refreshing CIC website every few days?