+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP-2021

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Well hopefully the IRCC will keep in mind the massive backlog in surgeries/cancer prevention/treatment the pandemic has caused across the country . It would be logical.

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/04/23/covid-19-hospital-surgeries-facing-massive-backlog/
lol what? Maybe i'm missing something but why would creating a weighted lottery system be illogical which is one of the things this report recommends. They aren't recommending increasing the number of PGP applicants from the current levels plan. They're recommending a fairer way of expressing interest to sponsor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
just wondering....is there a way to subscribe to a notification when program opens for accepting applications, rather than refreshing CIC website every few days?
There is not.

Reactions: anti_maniac

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
lol what? Maybe i'm missing something but why would creating a weighted lottery system be illogical which is one of the things this report recommends. They aren't recommending increasing the number of PGP applicants from the current levels plan. They're recommending a fairer way of expressing interest to sponsor.
Think the argument is that if we have significantly larger number backlog of surgeries, covid has made the fact that we need a lot more money invested into LTC and that in general there is a need for more healthcare resources after covid does it make sense to accept another 30k applications for PGP when most of the seniors will be added to the list of people who need care. Should we not get our healthcare services at least back to precovid levels before adding more seniors?

Yes there are some good suggestions but also many unrealistic suggestions. Think everyone can agree that there should be some weighting to allow preference to people who have attempted to sponsor for repeated years in a row and have met the eligibility criteria. Although some parents and grandparents due provide full-time childcare a large majority do not provide full-time childcare that have allowed for both parents to work. There LICO is already too low. Many families are accessing programs for low income seniors and they could not afford the expenses associated with their parents or grandparents needing a higher level of care. The suggestion that the number of PGP applications be increased to meet amount of parents who want to move to Canada is likely desired by anyone wanting to sponsor their parent or grandparent but there are no figure about how the healthcare services or support services could absorb all these seniors. In an area like Brampton which does not have the capacity to deal with the current population, injecting a large amount of additional seniors will have a huge negative impact on the existing population.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/9817445--lives-are-at-risk-brampton-declares-health-care-emergency-demands-funds-to-stop-hallway-medicine-/

Reactions: Copingwithlife

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just out of curiosity guys, are there tentative/indicative numbers for people who are "prospective applicants" to get their parents/grandparents here? for e.g. in previous draws how many applications came in (irrespective of qualified in lottery)? is there a published number from CIC?

If i go by simple mathematics, Canada is taking around 300,000 people every year....which with average family size of 2 is almost 150,000 families. Even if only 10% are interested/keen getting their number ( i suspect the percentage is way higher for south asian countries from a cultural standpoint of old parents staying with their kids)...15000 parents = ~30,000 applicants (for majority, i do know some cases would be just 1 parent or grandparent). And even if i count last 10 years....are we talking of around 300,000 prospective/interested parties? Am i correct in my calculation or way off?

Am "not" saying or debating Canadian immigration policies or the number should increase or decrease, that is not the point at all...i respect whatever is the official number they open applications for. But am trying to understand how many applications a person is competing with for a lottery....or in other words probability of making it through.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Obviously you are missing something

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6059285

16 million, or 16,000,000 in the pipeline

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
just out of curiosity guys, are there tentative/indicative numbers for people who are "prospective applicants" to get their parents/grandparents here? for e.g. in previous draws how many applications came in (irrespective of qualified in lottery)? is there a published number from CIC?

If i go by simple mathematics, Canada is taking around 300,000 people every year....which with average family size of 2 is almost 150,000 families. Even if only 10% are interested/keen getting their number ( i suspect the percentage is way higher for south asian countries from a cultural standpoint of old parents staying with their kids)...15000 parents = ~30,000 applicants (for majority, i do know some cases would be just 1 parent or grandparent). And even if i count last 10 years....are we talking of around 300,000 prospective/interested parties? Am i correct in my calculation or way off?

Am "not" saying or debating Canadian immigration policies or the number should increase or decrease, that is not the point at all...i respect whatever is the official number they open applications for. But am trying to understand how many applications a person is competing with for a lottery....or in other words probability of making it through.
Last draw think it was 10% chance. With increasing levels of immigrating demand will go up and don't know how supply of spots can increase more than current levels. Canada's ageing population may also influence whether the program remains possible and at what level. We are dealing with a huge cohort of baby boomers who are ageing in Canada and the healthcare system is already dealing with long wait lists, shortage of beds and shortage of workers.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Whether or not immigrants settle in the country is another story. We saw many soft landed immigrants and people not meeting their RO in this forum. How many really settle here?

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether or not immigrants settle in the country is another story. We saw many soft landed immigrants and people not meeting their RO in this forum. How many really settle here?
do you think that percentage is very high? i know atleast 10-12 families that either converted from Work permit to PR or came on a PR....and all but 1 are all here and settled. The one that left was for some personal/family reasons and has an active PR and there is a strong chance he moves back. So atleast i dont know anyone in my immediate circle that didnt settle. Am sure there are people but how big is that number in terms of percentage ....(btw in my calculation i already took just 10% trying to apply for PGP which i think is way on the lower side)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do you think that percentage is very high? i know atleast 10-12 families that either converted from Work permit to PR or came on a PR....and all but 1 are all here and settled. The one that left was for some personal/family reasons and has an active PR and there is a strong chance he moves back. So atleast i dont know anyone in my immediate circle that didnt settle. Am sure there are people but how big is that number in terms of percentage ....(btw in my calculation i already took just 10% trying to apply for PGP which i think is way on the lower side)
At least there's bunch of poster here in that situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I believe around 10% of the applying got selected this year. There can be up to 10 applicants vying for 1 spot. Some are multiple families wanting to sponsor the same parents. There is very high demand for a small amount of spot. Very few countries allow you to sponsor parents while getting access to all services because it is an expensive program.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Respectfully, I’d just like to start off by saying that I have a great amount of respect for all forum members on here and my purpose is to engage in constructive dialogue.
Sometimes assumptions that certain people are “entitled” without fully understanding each immigrants unique set of family circumstances can come across as slightly hurtful.not all people can be painted with the same brush. Not everyone has a cookie cutter story where they a) decide to immigrate b) then call their parents over without doing prior research.
Without divulging too much personal information, I’ve been in Canada for the past 13 years ( paying taxes)and family circumstances have now mandated for the family to be re-unified where as before it wasn’t necessary. There’s 1000’s of families with unique situations.
I’m not looking for your respect . You already mentioned you’re looking to extend your parents stay here when they are closing in on two years here, on the hope the Government will give them permanent status and or become eligible for the parent lottery .
So you feel because you’re paying taxes you’re unique ? News flash , paying taxes is a responsibility you have to live here . You’re not unique. If that’s your argument, then I’ve paid taxes for 40 years, my father 70 years, what is Government going to give me extra ? Answer: nothing
The only reason there’s not a uproar from the public on the parent lottery is because typically the public isn’t aware of it . Bringing in older immigrants during a pandemic when the healthcare system is years behind in tests for individuals already here . That wouldn’t look good on the Government

Last edited: