+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP-2021

robertp

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2019
Canada
you have another opportunity to show your interest when the 2021 Parents and Grandparents Program opens.

For the 2021 program, IRCC will conduct a new interest to sponsor form intake process and accept a maximum of 30,000 new applications. Information and timelines for the 2021 Parents and Grandparents Program will be posted on IRCC’s website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/tell-us-you-want-sponsor-parent-grandparent.html as soon as they’re available.

Tracker : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqTuXZrYG6sg4UHpHBEaMbWTgbHtvxzWYedaojGh0bg/edit#gid=1880406955

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does anyone have any updates on when the program will re-open. I have tried to find information online but haven't been successful.
IRCC hasn't posted any updates.

Reactions: Aspiring Canadian

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
any guesses when they might open based on past years data or other data?

Canada is trying to meet its immigration targets by focusing on people that are already here to transition them to permanent status. They should consider parents already here on supervisas as well. Family support is critical during this difficult time plus its not safe for elderly parents to travel.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Canada is trying to meet its immigration targets by focusing on people that are already here to transition them to permanent status. They should consider parents already here on supervisas as well. Family support is critical during this difficult time plus its not safe for elderly parents to travel.
Some people are guessing it will happen soon, some are guessing it will be later. They are all just guesses. No one knows.

In my opinion what has happened in past years isn't relevant for this year. Last year's draw happened very late in the year (which was unusual) and invitations weren't issued until this year. So based on this, very hard to guess when IRCC will run the next draw. They may want a bit of a break between the time the 2000 applications were received and the invitations are opened for 2021. Or they might not, Really impossible for anyone here to say one way or the other. It's all just guessing.

Reactions: Aspiring Canadian

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
My mom and dad are currently in Canada on a supervisa. It’s going to be two years come August 2021. So in May I’m going to send in an extension request. I am really praying and hoping they will get invited this year so they can stay permanently.

is there anything else I can be doing in the meantime to improve their chances of staying? Thankfully my income meets the requirements

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

I’m sure there are those whose parents aren’t here on supervises or haven’t been able to qualify or been previously chosen feel they should have special consideration as well. They just can’t please everyone.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
I’m sure there are those whose parents aren’t here on supervises or haven’t been able to qualify or been previously chosen feel they should have special consideration as well. They just can’t please everyone.
In my humble opinion. I dont think this is a matter of pleasing people but rather a matter that aligns with the governments efforts to focus on people that are already here to meet its immigration targets. Its a win win for families that are trying to be re-united as well as the governments efforts to meet immigration quotas that have been significantly impacted due to covid.

It doesn't make sense not to re-unite families that are already together in Canada during this difficult time. Also doesn't make sense to make elderly parents travel during these difficult times. (i.e those who are at the end of their stay of the supervisa and those seeking extensions) I encourage everyone to post any updates regarding the parent program and am really praying and hoping they announce something soon.

Reactions: nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In my humble opinion. I dont think this is a matter of pleasing people but rather a matter that aligns with the governments efforts to focus on people that are already here to meet its immigration targets. Its a win win for families that are trying to be re-united as well as the governments efforts to meet immigration quotas that have been significantly impacted due to covid.

It doesn't make sense not to re-unite families that are already together in Canada during this difficult time. Also doesn't make sense to make elderly parents travel during these difficult times. (i.e those who are at the end of their stay of the supervisa and those seeking extensions) I encourage everyone to post any updates regarding the parent program and am really praying and hoping they announce something soon.
Immigration targets are based on Canada meeting economic needs and ensuring population growth given Canada's ageing population. PGP is the exact opposite of these goals and is a drain on a very strained healthcare system. It is highly unlikely that PGP will be prioritized over economic immigration, spousal sponsorship, student permits, work permits, etc. Parents don't actually need to travel. I haven't seen my parents in over a year and they live in the same province.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Immigration targets are based on Canada meeting economic needs and ensuring population growth given Canada's ageing population. PGP is the exact opposite of these goals and is a drain on a very strained healthcare system. It is highly unlikely that PGP will be prioritized over economic immigration, spousal sponsorship, student permits, work permits, etc. Parents don't actually need to travel. I haven't seen my parents in over a year and they live in the same province.
Cultural differences at play. In my culture parents are the centre of the family and a very important part of the grandkids and kids lives. Family value and community based values are extremely important in ensuring a wholesome experience which in turn ensures success for new immigrants. It can’t be boiled down to an economic transaction. Even if looked at in an economic lens long term success outcomes on a micro and macro level would be far greater with family integration as opposed to only selecting skilled people and importing them here to churn out taxes.

Reactions: nayr69sg

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Cultural differences at play. In my culture parents are the centre of the family and a very important part of the grandkids and kids lives. Family value and community based values are extremely important in ensuring a wholesome experience which in turn ensures success for new immigrants. It can’t be boiled down to an economic transaction. Even if looked at in an economic lens long term success outcomes on a micro and macro level would be far greater with family integration as opposed to only selecting skilled people and importing them here to churn out taxes.
Not so much cultural difference but more self serving interests. It is in your best interest to have your parents here with you and it does make sense, nobody is disputing that fact, but your arguments are very much centered on what fits your situation, for example you say that it is important to reunite parents and their families (true) but then say that because your parents are already here, it is more important to make sure that families already reunited (through supervisa) can stay ad vitam eternam instead of ensuring that other families who have been separated for a longer time than you, are reunited. A bit of a contradiction wouldn't you say?

Overall, Canada is trying to reunite family while maintaining a healthy balance of economic resources to pay for it, it is not really perfect but well it is part of our choice to immigrate to Canada. I think the main point they were trying to raise was not that you don't deserve to be with your family, but that there are many different situations and people who all think that what fits their situation would be best. Many would view you as being already lucky that your parents were with you during this pandemic as they have not seen their loved ones for its entire duration and would love the government to prioritize really reuniting families that have been separated instead.

Can't satisfy everyone and they do what they can in those tough times.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Immigration targets are primarily economic immigration targets. Except childcare allowing both parents to work part-time there are very little economic benefits of having parents and grandparents immigrate and huge expenses. We are in Canada so in Canada immigration is primarily to provide economic benefit and counteract an ageing population. In the most developed countries ageing populations are a large problem which necessitates immigration. As I am sure you are aware many of those countries do not allow parent sponsorship or at least parent sponsorship without access to public healthcare because it is a huge expense with minimal returns. Most parents never work and there and many end up accessing low income senior programs. There is no way that PGP numbers will be increased or prioritized to try and meet immigration targets. If anything Canada needs young people and less elderly people to allow our healthcare systems to catch up to our normal wait time levels (not great to begin with) which will take 1-2 years and a slow influx of workers to allow our economy to hopefully gain momentum. If we were in a country with primarily young population you can absorb parents and grandparents more easily but that's not the demographics of Canada which is why Canada depends on immigration and primarily immigration of people under 40.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If we were in a country with primarily young population you can absorb parents and grandparents more easily but that's not the demographics of Canada which is why Canada depends on immigration and primarily immigration of people under 40.
But people under 40 likely have parents of their own!