+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hi there, I'm fairly new here, I'm looking to sponsor my inlaws for the PR. If anyone can help me with couple of advices would be wonderful. My wife and I are permanent residents of canada, her parents are here on work permits(my father in law working as a drywall installer and taper and my mother in law with an open work permit) they still have WP for another year and my father in law has major problems with his employer... he's not paid for hours he work and they are just brutal in every way to him(if I would tell you all the stories you wouldn't believe me) First question is where can we report his case coz this things are just brutal how they treating him at work,and what would happen if we report them(I have all the proves that they are really bad to him and not paying him for the time he worked) He is a really hard working person and I dont want governmentto send him back if we report his company? And another is are there any words when will they starts with pgp for this year. We would sponsor them for PR think we are okay money wise $120K last year and 2019 I think around 100K? Is that enough? Will we have random pool this year for pgp or first comes first serve and do we know if they going to announce date or it's going to be just open one day?

Thank you!
Is your father in-law sponsored for work permit? From time to time, we have cases of employers abuse employee and certainly, your father can report the matter to the government. Often, the employees and employers should discuss the matters and trying to reach a mutual agreement to settle the dispute. However, in some cases, there is simply impossible to negotiate with each other therefore, the link below may give you an idea of what to do
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/labour-standards/reports/filing-complaint.html#s05

As for Parent/Grandparent sponsorship program, it is now delayed until further notice as the whole country is focusing to fight COVID-19. You can check/follow the IRCC on social platform such as Facebook or Twitter to get notice when it's available
In the past, there were "Luck draw" and "First come first served" with the 2nd being a disaster last year. So maybe IRCC will have something else when the program re-open again.
For the requirement, in the past, one is required to have 3-consecutive-year before the year of application of a certain level of household total income to be qualified. This required total household income is based on the total number of people in your household including the parents/grandparents you want to sponsor. You can check on the IRCC website for the past year's information.

But expect nothing until IRCC officially opens the PGP again

Reactions: Dainik

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Hope every one is well and keeping safe in this tough time.

Folks, just want to share my thoughts regarding the unexpected/unforeseen situation developed due to COVID-19.

I think this program will be pushed to reopen in early 2021 and there are the chances that many of the applicants won't qualify due to income loss in year 2020. As we know in order to qualify we need to 3 consecutive years of income qualification, but most of he applicants can be eliminated by not having enough income in year 2020. Although it all depend on how worse this pandemic will be and how long it would last.

As a matter of fact, reopening in 2021 will offload the number of applications from PGP as well (this is an option immigration department can exercise to streamline the program and reduce the fair amount of applicants).

Also, many people will be applying for CERB and other emergency income relief programs, which may adversely hit their eligibility for PGP.(Numbers are more than 7 millions applicants as of today).

In nutshell, there are many indicators pointing in a direction that pushing this program all the way to next year (half of the work is already done) can be highly benefitted for the Government, so that lesser people with higher age will be accessing the health services (they are already overloaded/over-burnt amid COVD-19). But there are fewer evidences that PGP 2020 will ever exist, we better call it PGP 2021.

Disclaimer:- These are just my opinions against given circumstances and I would be glad if we can have some healthy inputs, favourable or unfavourable.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hope every one is well and keeping safe in this tough time.

Folks, just want to share my thoughts regarding the unexpected/unforeseen situation developed due to COVID-19.

I think this program will be pushed to reopen in early 2021 and there are the chances that many of the applicants won't qualify due to income loss in year 2020. As we know in order to qualify we need to 3 consecutive years of income qualification, but most of he applicants can be eliminated by not having enough income in year 2020. Although it all depend on how worse this pandemic will be and how long it would last.

As a matter of fact, reopening in 2021 will offload the number of applications from PGP as well (this is an option immigration department can exercise to streamline the program and reduce the fair amount of applicants).

Also, many people will be applying for CERB and other emergency income relief programs, which may adversely hit their eligibility for PGP.(Numbers are more than 7 millions applicants as of today).

In nutshell, there are many indicators pointing in a direction that pushing this program all the way to next year (half of the work is already done) can be highly benefitted for the Government, so that lesser people with higher age will be accessing the health services (they are already overloaded/over-burnt amid COVD-19). But there are fewer evidences that PGP 2020 will ever exist, we better call it PGP 2021.

Disclaimer:- These are just my opinions against given circumstances and I would be glad if we can have some healthy inputs, favourable or unfavourable.
While I enjoy your opinion but I do not think the Govt would include income in 2020 to qualify the potential sponsors. They could use just 2017-2018-2019 and skip 2020. This is, again, my personal opinion only.
If the Govt decides to stop/postpone the PGP, it is understandable as a common sense amid the COVID-19, there is no need to use income 2020 to fail/eliminate the sponsors

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Totally agree with your point.

But here are some counters-
  • There will be a big cut in applications without making Government look bad,
  • There is no provision that one year income can be skipped (It is not like deffering mortgage or stuff), 3 year consecutive is must bar none,
  • If PGP goes to 2021, 2020 income is a must,
  • Stopping PGP can lead to big outburst among different immigrant communities and the current incumbent can loose big chuck of their vote share.
  • Reopening PGP in 2021 is just like skipping PGP, as there will be fewer eligible applicants.
  • One thing is for sure (I am just assuming) if they reopen in 2021 and 2020 income is required most of us won’t be qualifying.

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
I believe reopening PGP in 2021 is a safe play for Government without loosing anything.

Again, reiterating strongly moving PGP to 2021 will eliminate lots of potential candidates and that is a gain for Government authorities.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think there will be a big discussion about whether we can actually treat our current seniors given the issues that have come to light during covid. Those involved in LTC knew the issues have been going on for a decades. Hopefully PSWs will get paid more given that they have a difficult job and the ratio of staff versus patient will get better. The only issue is that will lead to increased expenses. Even though LTC homes are underserviced and aren’t always wonderful there are still huge waiting lists. Often 4 years in some regions.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I believe reopening PGP in 2021 is a safe play for Government without loosing anything.

Again, reiterating strongly moving PGP to 2021 will eliminate lots of potential candidates and that is a gain for Government authorities.
There will always be enough candidates to meet the yearly quote. The LICO amount is not very high. In order to be able to afford having your parents living with you in Canada you should be making quite a lot more than LICO. Many will qualify even if they were not working for a few months. Many are still working just from home or they are able to go into their work place.

We’ll all have to wait and see. Think we all can agree that this will be a rough economic period and covid will affect many things.

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
There will always be enough candidates to meet the yearly quote. The LICO amount is not very high. In order to be able to afford having your parents living with you in Canada you should be making quite a lot more than LICO. Many will qualify even if they were not working for a few months. Many are still working just from home or they are able to go into their work place.

We’ll all have to wait and see. Think we all can agree that this will be a rough economic period and covid will affect many things.
Appreciate for bringing in the LTC issues in light, I hope there will be some better plan post COVID-19 in order to prevent it in future. SENIORS SHOULD BE PROTECTED NO MATTER WHAT, IT IS PAINFUL SEEING THEM HELPLESS.

A prediction by economists says that Canada could loss a big share of GDP by the end of year, and we are just in starting of this fiscal year. I know many are working from home, but who knows if that business/work will be there in next 2-3 months.

Provided another wave of virus is expected in this fall more worse and fatal.

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Assuming that the program will start in 2020 ,at some point we need to submit our NOC as a proof of income. For now, if I meet the criteria for past 3 years, do I need to maintain my income for the next year as well.

For example, If I qualify for income cut off in 2017 ,2018, 2019 and I apply for sponsoring my parents (if PGP opens in 2020), does that mean that I need to maintain my 2019 salary in 2020 or my 2020 salary in 2021? Not sure what future holds given the current conditions..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assuming that the program will start in 2020 ,at some point we need to submit our NOC as a proof of income. For now, if I meet the criteria for past 3 years, do I need to maintain my income for the next year as well.

For example, If I qualify for income cut off in 2017 ,2018, 2019 and I apply for sponsoring my parents (if PGP opens in 2020), does that mean that I need to maintain my 2019 salary in 2020 or my 2020 salary in 2021? Not sure what future holds given the current conditions..
Yes unless otherwise stated. Many will still qualify. You have to be prepared to weather any economic disruptions when your parents are in Canada and still be able to support them.

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Yes unless otherwise stated. Many will still qualify. You have to be prepared to weather any economic disruptions when your parents are in Canada and still be able to support them.
Drilling more into my concern:
I am earning 120K$ for last 10 yrs...but now if my sal drops to 60K in 2020 (lose job after 6 months in 2020) but it is above the the cutoff for PGP, does my lay off matter? OR in other words, the minimum criteria according to PGP means I need to have an active job AND should have earned 50K$/minimum PGP$ in the entire year-2020?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Drilling more into my concern:
I am earning 120K$ for last 10 yrs...but now if my sal drops to 60K in 2020 (lose job after 6 months in 2020) but it is above the the cutoff for PGP, does my lay off matter? OR in other words, the minimum criteria according to PGP means I need to have an active job AND should have earned 50K$/minimum PGP$ in the entire year-2020?
If you still qualify it will be fine. Would imagine there is a higher likelihood that CIC may look at your income for 2021 if you were unemployed until the end of 2020. You always have to meet LICO until parents are approved but often you are not asked for proof.

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
There is no way that CIC will consider next year income if you lost the string.

For instance, If someone is qualified for 2017,2018 and 2019, let’s assume PGP won’t open in 2020 and applicant don’t match the income requirements. Then the applicant has to make another 3 consecutive years (2021,2022 and 2023), which means reset and restart that’s the game!

Again as mentioned earlier, there will be lot of income losses in this year and applying for those social benefits will push you away from qualifications. Government has a golden chance to escape through by skipping two years of elderly immigration.

I hope and pray it shouldn’t happen to anyone, but unfortunately it is more close to happening as pandemic progress.

Moreover, LICO is not something you are looking at, the income requirements for family sponsorship is way higher than LICO.

PP2014

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Notice of Assessment issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the 3 taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application.

This is exact wording from CIC website.

Also, there is a probability that CIC could lower the numbers for 2020 as everyone is going through same situation. This will be interesting to watch, until then this is what we have.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Notice of Assessment issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the 3 taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application.

This is exact wording from CIC website.

Also, there is a probability that CIC could lower the numbers for 2020 as everyone is going through same situation. This will be interesting to watch, until then this is what we have.
There has been no announcement on this year’s program so nobody can guarantee what the requirements will be. There was already an announcements that there will be some changes. Would suggest waiting and not posting last year’s requirements.