+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Permanently' importing car into Canada after PR

hamzaharun

Aug 11, 2019
Hi guys,

As the title says, I am trying to import my car into Canada from US. I found plenty of information, but my case is slightly different and couldn't find a thread on it.

I moved to Canada (BC) 1.5 years ago on a work permit and temporarily imported my car. After moving, I registered my car with ICBC (provincial auto-everything body), they took my original US title to give me the BC title, tag and insurance. All was good till now when I got my PR. RIV needs me to permanently import the car into Canada now that I am a PR.

As I understand, to permanently import, I first need to export the car from US. I have gone through the requirements and they are all with me OTHER than the original title.
  • Can I go the US border for exporting the car where the original title that I have is issued from ICBC Canada? This sounds weird to me but it may be possible as there is a section on foreign-titled vehicles here: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle
  • How soon do I have to permanently import the car after switching from temporary to permanent resident?
Any help is appreciated.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hi guys,

As the title says, I am trying to import my car into Canada from US. I found plenty of information, but my case is slightly different and couldn't find a thread on it.

I moved to Canada (BC) 1.5 years ago on a work permit and temporarily imported my car. After moving, I registered my car with ICBC (provincial auto-everything body), they took my original US title to give me the BC title, tag and insurance. All was good till now when I got my PR. RIV needs me to permanently import the car into Canada now that I am a PR.

As I understand, to permanently import, I first need to export the car from US. I have gone through the requirements and they are all with me OTHER than the original title.
  • Can I go the US border for exporting the car where the original title that I have is issued from ICBC Canada? This sounds weird to me but it may be possible as there is a section on foreign-titled vehicles here: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle
  • How soon do I have to permanently import the car after switching from temporary to permanent resident?
Any help is appreciated.
Your case is somewhat unique but I know you have 45 days to pay the RIV fee and get the inspection done on your car for permanent import. I do not think you have to "formally export" the car from the US. My understanding (from my own experience) was that once the car is imported into Canada, it is automatically exported from the country of manufacture/purchase.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I do not think you have to "formally export" the car from the US. My understanding (from my own experience) was that once the car is imported into Canada, it is automatically exported from the country of manufacture/purchase.
Can you show a source for this? As far as I am aware, the US export process is entirely separate from the Canadian import process.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Can you show a source for this? As far as I am aware, the US export process is entirely separate from the Canadian import process.
I could not find a source for you and some other posts that I came across talked about exporting procedure with the U.S. before importing the car into Canada. In my case though, I just showed up at the border and was able to do the import process at the CBS office. They did not ask for any export papers plus I did not have the purchase document. All I needed was the original title and they made sure it was in my name.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I could not find a source for you and some other posts that I came across talked about exporting procedure with the U.S. before importing the car into Canada. In my case though, I just showed up at the border and was able to do the import process at the CBS office. They did not ask for any export papers plus I did not have the purchase document. All I needed was the original title and they made sure it was in my name.
This is why I'm saying it's separate, though-- the import process in Canada doesn't care about the export process in the US because it's a completely separate process that they have nothing to do with. Legally, you are supposed to formally export the car from the US.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
This is why I'm saying it's separate, though-- the import process in Canada doesn't care about the export process in the US because it's a completely separate process that they have nothing to do with. Legally, you are supposed to formally export the car from the US.
I see your point. O well, too late for me I guess :)

EssGee

Mar 8, 2020
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
13-12-2019
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Interview........
22-07-2020
Passport Req..
22-07-2020
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2020
LANDED..........
22-07-2020
Hi, what did you end up finally doing? I may be in a similar situation soon.

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Me as well. We've had a car from the US her for the past few years, with US plates and insurance (all of which is legal under the class of permits we have.)

We received PR a few weeks back but are now wondering what to do.

EssGee

Mar 8, 2020
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
13-12-2019
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Interview........
22-07-2020
Passport Req..
22-07-2020
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2020
LANDED..........
22-07-2020
Me as well. We've had a car from the US her for the past few years, with US plates and insurance (all of which is legal under the class of permits we have.)

Congrats.

No I have Ontario title, plate, and license. That’s why wondering how to import when I get PR.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019

I suspect you were asking about the other poster ( @momemon ) -- I formally exported and imported my car during my move to Canada, so it was not being used in Canada before it was exported.

For @guitarman, it might make the most sense to take a trip to the US for several days (at least 3) and arrange (in advance) for export from the US and import of your vehicle on your journey back to Canada. The export side asks for your US title so they can stamp it, and (at least in Ontario) the province takes the title when you register the vehicle. No idea what to do if you've already registered the vehicle in Ontario-- that is probably a question for the US export office.

ShivaOm

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
I suspect you were asking about the other poster ( @momemon ) -- I formally exported and imported my car during my move to Canada, so it was not being used in Canada before it was exported.

For @guitarman, it might make the most sense to take a trip to the US for several days (at least 3) and arrange (in advance) for export from the US and import of your vehicle on your journey back to Canada. The export side asks for your US title so they can stamp it, and (at least in Ontario) the province takes the title when you register the vehicle. No idea what to do if you've already registered the vehicle in Ontario-- that is probably a question for the US export office.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking we'll do. Just hope that there aren't any legalities in terms of driving it now. Who knows when we'll be able to go back to the USA for three days!

welpure2

Aug 7, 2019
Hi

I moved to Canada (Toronto) from US on work permit in 2019 and temporarily imported my US car.
I formally exported my US car to Canada (export formalities were done at US border).
Submitted Form 1 at Canadian border and imported the car.
Got the inspection done at Canadian tire and registered the car. Got Ontario plate. They retained the US original title before issuing ON plate.
Received the ' no pending recalls' certificate from Honda US in 2019.

Now, my PR is approved and received COPR.
What are the next steps in registering the car with RIV? I called RIV but they are asking e to get Form 1 etc again. So I am bit confused.

If someone with similar scenario have completed the RIV formalities, your inputs/ guidance will be greatly appreciated.

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Hi,
I've a rather different question related to car export requirements. We are driving to Canada (Vancouver) from the US in our own car with a valid CoPR and Visa. The plan is to start the PR process, find a place to live in Vancouver but also make trips to the US for work related reasons within 30 days after first entry. In this case does it make sense exporting the car from the US and import into Canada? Or should we not bother about it as long as we are sure we'll be travelling back and forth?
Thanks,

Dev0007

Jul 19, 2020
Hi guys,

Any help is appreciated.

Hi hamzaharun,
Can you please share, what did you do to get your car permanently exported.?

Thanks