+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident category : DR

naoto91

Jan 14, 2017
Hello,

I have a question, my permanent resident card has category : DR/RD which is mean dependant refugee, so, my question is if I want go travel to somewhere (not my origin country) should I apply for travel document or refugee travel document? and i still have my passport tho and it is still active (not expire yet). and if i have to apply travel document may I know how?

Thanks and Regards

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
naoto91 said:
Hello,

I have a question, my permanent resident card has category : DR/RD which is mean dependant refugee, so, my question is if I want go travel to somewhere (not my origin country) should I apply for travel document or refugee travel document? and i still have my passport tho and it is still active (not expire yet). and if i have to apply travel document may I know how?

Thanks and Regards
I believe that you need a refugee travel document - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/travel-documents/index.asp

naoto91

Jan 14, 2017
I see, another question, is that any different between refugee travel document and regular travel document ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
naoto91 said:
I see, another question, is that any different between refugee travel document and regular travel document ?
I'm not sure what you mean about "regular travel document". Please clarify. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/travel-documents/types.asp
If you are thinking of a PR Travel Document, it's not relevant to your question. It's for returning to Canada only.

ysfobd

May 22, 2018
if you are a DR yes you can, dependant of refugee claimant can freely travel home country. but ask your lawyer, I have the same case and I planning to travel very soon. if you check the link below it will say:
  • DR: Dependant of REF-CDA residing abroad and in Canada and who have not been deemed to be a Convention refugee in his/her own right
Link

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if you are a DR yes you can, dependant of refugee claimant can freely travel home country. but ask your lawyer, I have the same case and I planning to travel very soon. if you check the link below it will say:
  • DR: Dependant of REF-CDA residing abroad and in Canada and who have not been deemed to be a Convention refugee in his/her own right
Link
You are wrong you can't travel home unless you want to put your status in Canada at risk. You answered a post from 2017 by the way.

ysfobd

May 22, 2018
I know it is 2017 i’m just sharing info, by the way the officer at the imigration office n Etobicoke told me i can use my passport and i can travel even to my home country and that was on 20th of Nov. 2018 since i’m not refugee i’m refugee dependant.
Exactly she told my wife you can’t use your home country passport you can apply for RTD and you can’t go back home. While you(me) that doesn’t apply to you i asked i can use my passport she said yes i asked what about visitng home country she said no problem for you
If you have different info plz share it with us.
Thanks,

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
Yes bud that is correct for the Refugees but again i’m not, my status is pr under Refugee Dependant and that is difference that is true for refugees
i know its been long for the post, im pr under category DR too you already went back home and return to canada safely? it is safe ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i know its been long for the post, im pr under category DR too you already went back home and return to canada safely? it is safe ?
Recommend posting your question to the refugee / asylum section of the forum.

ysfobd

May 22, 2018
Recommend posting your question to the refugee / asylum section of the forum.
i did travel about 5 times and every time they stopped me saying you have an issue with the immigration, and end up with no issues after they check everything.

last time i traveled using the Canadian Passport and i faced the same issue so everytime i travel back home i have to waste few hours in investigations even with Canadian Passport but no legal issues at all neither on the boarder nor inside Canada.

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
i did travel about 5 times and every time they stopped me saying you have an issue with the immigration, and end up with no issues after they check everything.

last time i traveled using the Canadian Passport and i faced the same issue so everytime i travel back home i have to waste few hours in investigations even with Canadian Passport but no legal issues at all neither on the boarder nor inside Canada.
You pr category is DR ? Or you are a protected person?