+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence Ready for Visa but not sure whether to submit my passport (eTa country)

janellerush

May 15, 2023
Guys, I got RFV yesterday. I'm confused with this part in the email:

STEP 2: Passport Requirements – Determine if you need to submit your passport(s)

Determine whether you need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada at: www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/visit/visas.asp

If your passport is from a country whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit original passport(s) for you and each accompanying family member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child.

Please note that you STILL need to submit your passport(s) even if:

You or your accompanying family members have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa or permit.

You or your accompanying family members are permanent residents of the U.S.A and holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.

Note: All passports must be intact and not worn, torn or otherwise damaged; the laminate on the bio-data page must be securely attached. Each page must be securely affixed to the passport; there cannot be any loose pages.

If your passport is from a country whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or your passport is from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and each accompanying family member (Note: any accompanying family member whose passport does require a visa however, will need to submit their original passport as per Step 2a). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months. Please do not send your original passport(s).

*** Please note that Confirmation of Permanent Residence and permanent resident visas cannot be issued on Diplomatic, Official or Military passports or travel documents. You must provide an ordinary passport. ***

I'm from the philippines and recently our country could get ETA under certain conditions. When I click on the link they provided to check whether we need an ETA or not, it will depend whether I have a us non immigrant visa or what is my purpose of travel etc.

Should I submit my passport or just a photocopy? I think people submit their passports here, so this part got me confused.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Should I submit my passport or just a photocopy? I think people submit their passports here, so this part got me confused.
Honestly my suggestion would be to submit your passport, ETA for PH citizens is relatively new, and if issues happen, it will be at the airport when it's too late too fix. And you'll have to submit docs anyway, just include your passport (as per instructions), you'll get the visa in there and after that nothing to worry about.

Reactions: bellaluna