+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pathway to permanent residency recognizes exceptional service of asylum claimants on front lines of COVID-19 pandemic

Bethel2020

Mar 20, 2021
I applied for CCB immediately after I got the eCOPR. Took them the next month before they finalized the application but they paid the outstanding payment from the month of eCOPR.
BUT for the back payment from the day we entered Canada, NOTHING WAS PAID, I submitted bunch of documents, made bundle of calls but they told us we were not Temporary Residents for those months.

My concern now is : Does the days spent in Canada counts towards the half day credits towards our citizenship application or the 3yrs starts from day when we got the eCOPR ?

I have been here since 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience, I was told to produce a notice of decision in order to get a back pay , and I had to explain that I didn’t go for hearing and only qualified through pathway program, therefore I only have COPR.It was a bit of back and forth with them. Anyway they still didn’t pay.

Reactions: ZAYAN2020

ZAYAN2020

Nov 13, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience, I was told to produce a notice of decision in order to get a back pay , and I had to explain that I didn’t go for hearing and only qualified through pathway program, therefore I only have COPR.It was a bit of back and forth with them. Anyway they still didn’t pay.
It's a bit poor decision on the side of CRA and Canada. Especially when you live here, working and filing taxes every year. I remembered reading a Human Right lawyer in Ontario challenging the government to review that law especially for kids born in Canada. It's like stealing their rights.

I have been here since 2018. Never had a hearing date till I applied for this pathway. I see the CCB yearly amount each year I file taxes hoping it could be paid after all but sadly you only see it with eyes.

As for me I will keep posting it to their pages and share it with any politician I meet, use any medium to express it for as long as I can, I am not doing it for myself but for later years, at least kids born in Canada should be able to get the CCB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bukols

Bethel2020

Mar 20, 2021
I am in the same shoes as you, If you ask me it’s a justiciable issue that needs to be reviewed by the court and this I told the agent I spoke with last, she was reading the rules to me that it’s either I am a protected person with a positive decision or temporary resident who is now a permanent resident. I told her that the rules has to be reviewed because there is an obvious gap and that is has a result of the pathway program. Interestingly, in January this year, I got a lump sum of 1,200 for the young child supplement for 2021. I told the agent that if you said I don’t qualify for CCB ,then why did I get back pay for young child supplement since one of the requirements is that you have to be eligible for CCB before 2021. And in my case, I only became a PR in September 2021. She was confused, I was put on hold for up to 30 minutes, she came back and told me it’s gst, I told her It’s not possible. I haven’t qualified for gst in the last 2 years and that is boldly stated in my Notice of Assessment and that I remember calling immediately to confirm what that particular 1,200 was for then in January, the person I spoke with said it’s back pay which I am qualified for.
Anyway moving on, they said they will write me a letter to further explain reasons for the rejection, I am patiently waiting for that then I will know what steps to take. It’s not even the back pay that is my concern , it’s their rules towards equality that is more important. You can’t be a society that is preaching equality and inequality at the same time. How I wish I can get a pro-bono lawyer to fight this.

ZAYAN2020

Nov 13, 2021
I am in the same shoes as you, If you ask me it’s a justiciable issue that needs to be reviewed by the court and this I told the agent I spoke with last, she was reading the rules to me that it’s either I am a protected person with a positive decision or temporary resident who is now a permanent resident. I told her that the rules has to be reviewed because there is an obvious gap and that is has a result of the pathway program. Interestingly, in January this year, I got a lump sum of 1,200 for the young child supplement for 2021. I told the agent that if you said I don’t qualify for CCB ,then why did I get back pay for young child supplement since one of the requirements is that you have to be eligible for CCB before 2021. And in my case, I only became a PR in September 2021. She was confused, I was put on hold for up to 30 minutes, she came back and told me it’s gst, I told her It’s not possible. I haven’t qualified for gst in the last 2 years and that is boldly stated in my Notice of Assessment and that I remember calling immediately to confirm what that particular 1,200 was for then in January, the person I spoke with said it’s back pay which I am qualified for.
Anyway moving on, they said they will write me a letter to further explain reasons for the rejection, I am patiently waiting for that then I will know what steps to take. It’s not even the back pay that is my concern , it’s their rules towards equality that is more important. You can’t be a society that is preaching equality and inequality at the same time. How I wish I can get a pro-bono lawyer to fight this.
You can imagine how confused they are. Honestly, that’s not equality. They just do whatever they want irrespective of the law.

I have been getting GST/HST from the first tax but never got the young child supplement. That shows how confused they are.

You’ll definitely know when you call to the CRA.

I believe once you file tax, be in status for the period, one should be qualified for the CCB.

Why display the CCB amount in ones tax filling each year when they aren’t paying it ?

It needs a push sincerely.

cmunonye3

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
I noticed that IRCC doesnt ask peoeple to withdrawal their pending claim or any court proceedings anymore. They just send them the confirmation of permanent residence.

cmunonye3

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
No i havent. I requested for medical request letter from the NiagaraFallsBRO-BRA, they replied me that the previous medical has been updated to my file. Even though there is no update on my ECAS about medical received.

Also i know couple of people who received COPR without asking them to withdrawal their claim

Armstrong24

Oct 20, 2021
Hi everyone, I just got my AIP. Does anyone know is we are still required to do police clearance from our country(where we resides before moving to Canada).

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
Hi everyone, I just got my AIP. Does anyone know is we are still required to do police clearance from our country(where we resides before moving to Canada).
Yes you will need the police clearance from your country of birth and any other country that you have spent six months or more. This is mandatory

Dec 23, 2021
Good day everyone, i received my Permanent Resident portal logging 2 weeks ago. I immediately completed it and uploaded my passport photo as required.

Its been 2 weeks and i haven't receive the COPR yet. Is this normal
It just saying in picture and address being review.

Buchim

Feb 6, 2022
You can imagine how confused they are. Honestly, that’s not equality. They just do whatever they want irrespective of the law.

I have been getting GST/HST from the first tax but never got the young child supplement. That shows how confused they are.

You’ll definitely know when you call to the CRA.

I believe once you file tax, be in status for the period, one should be qualified for the CCB.

Why display the CCB amount in ones tax filling each year when they aren’t paying it ?

It needs a push sincerely.
The law is very clear on this irrespective of our emotions.
Who can get the Canada child benefit
You must meet all of the following conditions:

• You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
    See who is primarily responsible
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"
    • an individual who is registered, or entitled to be registered under the Indian Act
As refugee claimants, you don’t have a status unless you fall under the categories mentioned. In this instance, successful applicants under this pathway gain status when you get your PR since there was no positive hearing or no hearing at all. Because we are taxpayers doesnt give an automatic qualification. Mind you, CCB is completely eliminated for taxpayers whose household income are above a certain threshold. These categories of taxpayers earn so much, pay more in taxes but their kids are exempted from CCB because their income is deemed high for any form of social benefits.

Likewise, your days in Canada starts counting from your PR landed date for the purpose of citizenship.

Dec 23, 2021
Good day everyone, i received my Permanent Resident portal logging 2 weeks ago. I immediately completed it and uploaded my passport photo as required.

Its been 2 weeks and i haven't receive the COPR yet. Is this normal
It just saying in picture and address being review.
I finally received my COPR today.