+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewed, Visa on Old Passport

safibaig

May 15, 2014
Hi All,

I am facing the same situation. I got my passport renewed after receiving COPR. I am the Principal Applicant. Do I need to submit my dependent passports and their COPR as well along with my application to embassy? My dependent passports have sufficient validity.

Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
safibaig said:
Hi All,

I am facing the same situation. I got my passport renewed after receiving COPR. I am the Principal Applicant. Do I need to submit my dependent passports and their COPR as well along with my application to embassy? My dependent passports have sufficient validity.

Thanks
In that case, I believe you need to submit your PPs and COPR alone. Please contact your Local Visa Office and get this sorted out.

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
You dont need to submit yours either. Visa on old passport is not an issue at all.. !! All you need to do it to hold both passports while traveling.

safibaig said:
Hi All,

Thanks

wasim7777

May 22, 2014
Hi guys,
I need some help as my situation is a little screwed up. I got my IM-1 visa and copr back with some errors. On the passport I sent after PPR, they returned it with IM-1 visa but they made an error by using my old passport number. So my visa is on my new and valid passport but the passport number on the visa is old. Same thing on copr.
I understand according to Qorax's post that it's okay to travel with a visa on old passport. But since my visa is on a new passport but using an old number, I don't know if I should be travelling on it.
Plus I am trying to contact the visa office but I haven't heard back in weeks. Any help would be appreciated guys

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
wasim7777 said:
Hi guys,
I need some help as my situation is a little screwed up. I got my IM-1 visa and copr back with some errors. On the passport I sent after PPR, they returned it with IM-1 visa but they made an error by using my old passport number. So my visa is on my new and valid passport but the passport number on the visa is old. Same thing on copr.
I understand according to Qorax's post that it's okay to travel with a visa on old passport. But since my visa is on a new passport but using an old number, I don't know if I should be travelling on it.
Plus I am trying to contact the visa office but I haven't heard back in weeks. Any help would be appreciated guys
I guess it is NOT okay to travel with the wrong PP number on your visa. Please get back to the consulate and report this error. Better safe than sorry.

Diaa ABDULLAT

Star Member
Mar 8, 2016
Dear All
Kindly advise i got nomination letter which include the old passport number and i sent my application to CIC .
My passport and my wife passport will be expired within 8 months so its better to renew it before medical request and stamping pr visa ?

vkaslp

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
NEO_2263 said:
Hi Guys !!

Me & My spouse had similar situation , We got PR Visa issued until July 2016 Validity
We both got our passports Renewed , myself as few pages left and spouse Passport expiring in aug 2016 .

I inquired about same to New delhi Visa office and they asked us to return old COPR and OLD passport with visa , to get Visa Re issued on New passport and new COPR letters , Asked us to pay CAD $ 30 fee for both members , also strictly asked us not to travel untill modifications has been done as we might be refused entry .

Now i have got both passports renewed and have sent them old Passport , COPR and Photographs - Its 9 days and still waiting to get passports back with Visa on new passports ,

Below you can find the email response received from NEW DELHI VISA OFFICE , Hope this will end all confusion related to this Topic.

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

If you or a family member have modified personal information after the issuance of a visa, including if you have obtained a new passport, you must request that a new visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) be issued. This includes if you have married or have a newborn child who was not included on your application at visa issuance.

If you do not request to include your spouse or child(ren) on your application BEFORE you land in Canada, you WILL NOT be able to sponsor them to Canada in the future. The newly added family member must meet the requirements and undergo medical and background examinations EVEN IF they are not accompanying the principal applicant to Canada.

If you applied under the Family Class, you must have a new spouse or child added to both the sponsorship in Canada (and pay the processing fee to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga) and to the permanent resident application being processed at the visa office overseas. In order to add a new dependant to a sponsorship, the sponsor must call in Canada 1-800-242-2210 and ask for the appropriate forms and instructions: (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp)
Do not attempt to travel on your visa and COPR until the modifications have been made or you may not be permitted entry at the Port of Entry in Canada.

You are required to submit:

- any documentary evidence of the modification;
- the original passports with visas for yourself (and all dependants);
- the Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms for yourself (and dependants);
- an updated or new passport with the new information for those people with modified information; and
- a processing fee of $30 CAD for re-issuance of previously issued visas for each family member
- Passport size photographs for yourself and each dependant

If you are adding a spouse or newborn child to your application, you will also be required to submit the following documents:

- a letter explaining how your family composition has changed and requesting that your spouse and/or child to be added to your application
- updated IMM0008 Generic Application Form and updated IMM5406 “Additional Family Information” form for yourself to include your spouse and/or child
- A completed Schedule A Background Declaration form, and an IMM5406 “Additional Family Information” form completed and signed by your spouse
- If the spouse or child is accompanying you to Canada, processing fee for your spouse and/or other dependant
- notarized copy of the birth certificate of your spouse and/or child
- copies of experience and educational documents for your spouse
- copy of your spouse’s and/or child's valid passport (s) both valid and expired
- four recent passport-size photographs of your spouse and/or child according to the specifications
- a copy of your marriage certificate and marriage registration
- a few marriage photographs depicting pre and post wedding and also of the ceremony itself.
- police clearance certificates for any country in which your spouse has resided in for 6 months or more since turning 18 (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/index.asp for more information)
- the Right of Permanent Residence Fee will need to be paid before a visa can be issued to your spouse (if accompanying you to Canada)
- you must return the passports and visas for persons where visas have been issued in order for us to proceed with processing your added dependants
- two additional recent passport-size photographs for each person with previously issued visas that must be cancelled, according to specifications
- if you applied as a Skilled worker - updated proof of funds for number of family members to now include added spouse and/or child
- a “Certificat de Sélection du Québec” for your spouse or child ( in his or her name), if you wish to immigrate to the province of Québec (http://www.micc.gouv.qc.ca/fr/index.asp)

Upon receipt of your request for visa re-issuance and the above mentioned documents and fees, our office will re-issue visas with the modified information. Please note that new visas may be issued for every family member, not just those with modified information, therefore it is important to submit all the passports and COPR’s for everyone included on the application.

Our office generally requires one week to process requests for visa re-issuance. However, if you are adding an additional family member then the processing time will take longer as the added family member will need to be examined and meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

Immigration Section, New Delhi -7
High Commission of Canada in India / Government of Canada
www.india.gc.ca www.cic.gc.ca

Section de l’immigration, New Delhi
Haut commissariat du Canada dans Inde / Gouvernement du Canada
www.inde.gc.ca www.cic.gc.ca
I am in a similar situation. Have emailed NDVO...and am awaiting a reply from them.In how many days did you get back your new passport with re-issued visa?

Indraneel

Nov 5, 2016
Hello forum :) Need some expert guidance on this one:

My passport(Indian) will expire on Sep 2019.
My studies will end around May 2019.

I am planning to re-issue my passport around Sep-Oct 2018.

Now if my passport is re-issued towards end of 2018, then the passport containing TRV stamp at present gets cancelled.

Will it adversely affect my study permit? Can I continue my studies with the same study permit or will it become invalid if passport is re-issued?

Studying without valid study permit is illegal. Need your expert opinion.

Also do I need to get the TRV re-stamped in new passport or the counterfoil in current passport will be considered valid till it's expiry date even if passport gets cancelled and substituted with new one?

Seek your kind support :)

suddeb

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
I am also having the same situation. Me and my wife both renewed our passport and our visa is on the old passport(which is marked as cancelled now).
But the visa on the old passport is valid. We are planning to travel with both the passports(old and new) and return back to Canada within visa validity

While renewing the passport, we have added each others name in our passports as spouse. Do you think there will be any problem in POE while returning back to Canada?

sakthiece

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
I am also having the same situation. Me and my wife both renewed our passport and our visa is on the old passport(which is marked as cancelled now).
But the visa on the old passport is valid. We are planning to travel with both the passports(old and new) and return back to Canada within visa validity

While renewing the passport, we have added each others name in our passports as spouse. Do you think there will be any problem in POE while returning back to Canada?
Same here, my wife has renewed her passport by adding spouse name and address change, There is no change in her name in new passport, but her visa is in cancelled passport. Is she eligible to travel with that?

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid’ for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.5 of the Port of Entry Examinations Manual -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax
Thanks Qorax for this information. My spouse visa is expiring on 1st May 2018. Our final date to enter Canada is by 1st May 2018 (same as passport expiry date). Do we have 6 month passport validity requirement in this case? If yes, then we either have to travel to Canada maximum by Nov 2017 OR she needs to renew the passport now and transfer the Canada PR immigrant visa to the new Passport (through VFS by paying fee). We are planning to travel sometime by Feb 2018.. Can you pls suggest if we should get passport renewed now OR travel to Canada and get PR card and later renew the passport. Thanks !!

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018
Hi All,

Below are the latest comments in the Port of entry examination manual section13.18 : Valid visas in expired passports

"Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid."

Going by this, travel is allowed with renewed passport and visa on old passport.Just that both the passports must be presented at POE.

Have anyone successfully landed recently with renewed passport and visa on old passport?

Regards,
Racbil

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018

Hi suddeb,

Were you able to land with renewed passport and visa in old passport?

Jul 29, 2017
Can please anybody shade some light on this issue of entering Canada with valid visa in old passport after renewing passport?
We need some personal experience.

Thank you