01-10-2009
Med's Done....
31-10-2009
Passport Req..
31-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2010
Hello,

Can someone guide me please. I got Visa that is expiring on 19th July as my Passport is expiring on the same day. Since my passport is expiring; I renewed / re-issued my passport. I got new passport that states; old passport is closed and new is issued on 12th March. Now my concern is I am traveling to canada next month. Will there be any problem for me at airport?

Thanks.
Jappu.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Jappu said:
Hello,

Can someone guide me please. I got Visa that is expiring on 19th July as my Passport is expiring on the same day. Since my passport is expiring; I renewed / re-issued my passport. I got new passport that states; old passport is closed and new is issued on 12th March. Now my concern is I am traveling to canada next month. Will there be any problem for me at airport?

Thanks.
Jappu.
Wrong move Dude, you should have checked here in the forum before renewing your passport or atleast with Canadian embassy. I am not trying to scare you, but let me tell you my personal experience. My Kids passport was expiring in June 2010, I had my PPR on feb 22nd and was in the same confusion should I renew the Passport and get the visa stamped or stamp the visa in the old passport and renew after the visa is stamped but before entering Canada, I checked this with Buffalo consulate before going for stamping, they advised me to get the Visa on the Passport with which the application was made and complete the landing on the same passport and after completing the landing to renew the old passport. I was also aware that even though the passports are normally cancelled the visa in the expired passport are valid till the visa expiry date. Going by the advice from Canadian Consul, Buffalo, I completed my landing and then applied for the passport renewal.

Bottomline I think you should be ok, but would advice you to staple the old and New passport and submit them together as 1 while doing your landing to the IO.

Don't worry you should be fine.

Max

Reactions: Sagar00013

Jappu

Feb 27, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2004
Doc's Request.
01-09-2009
Med's Request
01-10-2009
Med's Done....
31-10-2009
Passport Req..
31-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2010
Thanks Max. I will keep both passports together. Hope there would not be any problem at airport.

Jappu.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid’ for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.5 of the Port of Entry Examinations Manual -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax

Jappu

Feb 27, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2004
Doc's Request.
01-09-2009
Med's Request
01-10-2009
Med's Done....
31-10-2009
Passport Req..
31-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2010
Thanks a lot Qorax. You are great.

Regards,
Jappu.

mmushtaq

Apr 30, 2011
Hello Jappu, can you please share your experience. Was it OK at the time of landing? I just wanna confirm if visa on old passport is not a problem if we stapled new passport.

thanks

Jappu said:
Hello,

Thanks.
Jappu.

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
Captain Qorax Sir,

My manual passport expiry date is on September 2013. Before the PPR, I renewed my passport for the purpose of getting that electronic (machine redable) passport. When I got the PPR I sent both the old(cancelled) and my new passport. In cases like this, will this undergo any further process since the current passport is not having the same number as initially filed in the application? Will this cause delay of the return of our passport which was sent for PR visa stamping?
Another case, is the case of a friend, who renewed his passport before its expiry to get the machine readable type. When he got his PPR, He sent the new one, but did not send the old one. What will happen for cases like this? Thank you very much.

qorax said:
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.5 of the Port of Entry Examinations Manual -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
aspire said:
Captain Qorax Sir,

1. My manual passport expiry date is on September 2013. Before the PPR, I renewed my passport for the purpose of getting that electronic (machine redable) passport. When I got the PPR I sent both the old(cancelled) and my new passport. In cases like this, will this undergo any further process since the current passport is not having the same number as initially filed in the application? Will this cause delay of the return of our passport which was sent for PR visa stamping?
2. Another case, is the case of a friend, who renewed his passport before its expiry to get the machine readable type. When he got his PPR, He sent the new one, but did not send the old one. What will happen for cases like this? Thank you very much.
1. It shouldn't be a problem.
2. He's ought to send both the pps.

Qorax

wicky

Feb 27, 2011
LONDON UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
awaiting
IELTS Request
Submitted with application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
awaiting
Med's Request
awaiting
Med's Done....
awaiting
Interview........
awaiting
Passport Req..
awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
awaiting
LANDED..........
awaiting
Every time when an old passport is expired and renewed the old passport's first or second page (bio data page) is stamped and endorsed to the new passport with the new passport number on it, and the new passport contains the Passport number of the old passport.

If there is any visas on old passport staple both passports together till the expiry of last visa on the old passport and before the issuance of new visa on the new passport. But remember to submit all passports which had any visas stamped on them and you have provided photocopies to any embassy concerned to avoid any delays and confusion.

Thanks
Wicky

mrp1981

Mar 19, 2012
My wife passport is valid till july 2012 and have valid visa till 24th May.It is the law that passport should be valid for six month for tarvelling so I renewed passport having husband name instead of father name but the immigrant visa is in Old passport which have father name. would it create any problem while tarvelling ?

babbu.mann

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2012
Brampton-ON
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
DEC-2011
LANDED..........
November 2012
Jappu said:
Hello,

Thanks.
Jappu.
shouldn't be a problem...coz your new passport have your old passport number on it, keep both of your passport together and
if possible contact your vo and ask them if your new passport get stamped..there is a little fees for it...but its worth for peace of mind and hassle free landing.................

best of luck and have a nice journey!!

babbu

atand

Star Member
May 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
28 April 2011
AOR Received.
04 Nov 2011
Med's Request
13 Dec 2011
Med's Done....
21 Jan 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
20-Mar-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2013
Jappu said:
Hello,

Thanks.
Jappu.
Hi jappu! I have the same situation as yours. How was your first landing experience at port of entry in Canada? Did u face any problem at immigration having the new and old passports? Awaiting for your reply.
Thanks.

Atand

tapas77

Jan 2, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have the same situation as you as well. Would you please share your landing experience>

thanks

james-enjoy

Dec 27, 2013
@tapas77,

Did you got back the passport after restamping?
I am also facing same, need to know how long it took.

Thanks in advance.

gsriharsh

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
Nomination.....
PER:06-11-2013
AOR Received.
3-1-14
Med's Request
18-2-14
Med's Done....
23-2-14
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
18-2-14
VISA ISSUED...
6.3.14....DM on 9.3.14
Need an urgent suggestion guys....

With the help and support of all you guys on the forum...I had got PR Visa recently....But, there is a lil problem with the name on my passport....My full name 'ABC XYZ' is mentioned in the First Name only and Last Name is left blank....In the Visa application, I have mentioned 'Not Applicable' in the last name and my full name in 'First Name'....This is due to mistake by Passport issuing authority in my country which I had overlooked earlier....

Got my VISA where my full name is mentioned as Last Name and Nothing in First Name....

Now, I have realised that having a last name is very important in Canada....and everywhere I go, My Last Name would be referred to as per passport....So, I would like to get a new passport reissued in my home country with the name 'ABC XYZ' split into First and Last Name before going to Canada.....But, the million dollar question is.....My VISA is attested on my old existing passport now...Can this VISA be transferred to the New Passport if i get it issued.....Can I risk this now at this stage before landing in Canada...Or should I go for this later when I come back to my home country after completing all PR formalities and getting the PR card....

If I go with this old passport and VISA as of now....Will my PR Card and all other Canadian documents(such as health card, SIN Card etc..,) also have this wrong name split....Will that be of any problem....Can all that be changed later after I renew my passport later with correct split of my name...

Dont mind my lengthy questions.....

Qorax....Please throw some light on this...Would be grateful to you...

Thanks,
Harsha.