+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents to accompany students/children

woodyohill

Mar 3, 2021
My 2 children have been accepted to a school in Calgary. They are young children (under 12). Pre-Covid, it is our understanding that parents can accompany their children to go to Canada. How about now?

I found this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family

The problem is that it says 'An immediate family member may be able to come with you to Canada', hardly a certain thing. Anyone has any update? Both my wife and I wish to accompany the children. What are the chances both my wife and I can get into the country?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Parents were never allowed to accompany minor children to study in canada. There is no such visa category or allowance. You are expected to get a Canadian/PR Custodian for your child/children.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My 2 children have been accepted to a school in Calgary. They are young children (under 12). Pre-Covid, it is our understanding that parents can accompany their children to go to Canada. How about now?

I found this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family

The problem is that it says 'An immediate family member may be able to come with you to Canada', hardly a certain thing. Anyone has any update? Both my wife and I wish to accompany the children. What are the chances both my wife and I can get into the country?
Based on your previous posts you may have all applied for study permits or you applied for a SUV. It is relatively rare for 1 parent to be able to accompany minor children studying in Canada but having 2 parents accompany children is pretty unheard of. The parents would also be visiting Canada while their child attended school and that would be subject to getting extensions of their visitor status. Minor children having study permits doesn't provide a pathway for parents to live, work in Canada or immigrate to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Chances that one or both of you will be able to accompany your children are quite low. Having said that, you can certainly try.

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
I attended a virtual pre departure orientation hosted by the migration manager in the Canadian embassy. Here are some information that might be helpful for you (I copy pasted this from his powerpoint presentation). Some parents actually asked the same question over and over again regarding this.
  • One parent may be able to accompany a minor student. Written authorization is not required. You must check with the Embassy in advance and provide a travel itinerary.
  • A parent who wants to visit a student who is already in Canada must apply for written authorization.
  • In both cases, TRV form must be filled with purpose of visit = “Other”, and reason = “COVID-19”
Best bet is to email/call the Canadian embassy in your country and ask for advice since information regarding this is vague.