+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

Leonora7

Star Member
May 4, 2019
For those whose parents just landed recently, I have a question on the documents needed for the landing process:

I know most of you just mentioned that it is similar to travellers enter the border, the officer would ask some questions how much money they have, how long do they stay. But my question is, I found this website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

It shows that there are a lot of documents needed (other than the passport, COPR):
  1. two copies each of:
    1. a detailed list of all the personal or household items you’re bringing with you
    2. a list of items that are arriving later and their money value
  2. Settler’s effects list: two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you plan to bring into Canada as. The list should:
    • show each item’s value, make, model and serial number, etc
    • a form BSF186
  3. Health documentation
    When you travel to Canada, bring official documents that state what vaccinations you and your family have already had.
  4. etc

It just looks so complicated, and I just want to know are these really needed when landing? My parents are just traveling with one luggage each as they plan to go back next year for some time.

Any answer is appreciated!
Was there any answer to this question as the exact same thing applies to us entering the country. Any responses greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mississauga-Applicant

Jun 17, 2019
For those whose parents just landed recently, I have a question on the documents needed for the landing process:

I know most of you just mentioned that it is similar to travellers enter the border, the officer would ask some questions how much money they have, how long do they stay. But my question is, I found this website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

It shows that there are a lot of documents needed (other than the passport, COPR):
  1. two copies each of:
    1. a detailed list of all the personal or household items you’re bringing with you
    2. a list of items that are arriving later and their money value
  2. Settler’s effects list: two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you plan to bring into Canada as. The list should:
    • show each item’s value, make, model and serial number, etc
    • a form BSF186
  3. Health documentation
    When you travel to Canada, bring official documents that state what vaccinations you and your family have already had.
  4. etc

It just looks so complicated, and I just want to know are these really needed when landing? My parents are just traveling with one luggage each as they plan to go back next year for some time.

Any answer is appreciated!

When you move to Canada, you are allowed to bring your existing belongings, duty free. If you are doing that, you need to make the lists mentioned in your question. There might be things you are carrying at the time of landing and some that might follow. Whatever is coming then or later has to be declared at the time of landing. If that is not the case, you don’t need the list.

As for the medical documents reflecting the state of vaccinations, it’s mainly for the children. When you enroll them in a school you need to provide the vaccination details along with proof. Not applicable in case of adults so it can be ignored.

However, if you are carrying $10,000 or more, it MUST be declared at the time of landing. It’s 100% allowed and does not cause any complications, but should be declared.

Reactions: Leonora7

Candi0707

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
How long do my parents' passport need to be valid during PGP application ? They are both living in Canada. For the applicants within Canada, do they need to renew their passport if their passports will expire within 8 months ? Thank you.

MeaveNivla

Jul 8, 2021
I am the sponsor of my mother's application. Currently IRCC is working on PPR. I have a urgent question that I am worried about, as a sponsor I have gave birth to a child after I have passed the sponsor's eligibility DM stage, do I need to update IRCC that the sponsor have gave birth to a child (not the principle applicant)? How do I do that? Thank you!!

MArshi

Dec 9, 2020
Hi, need help. I got passport request from London Visa office - May’2019 application. Parents are in Pak. Email has sent link to VFS office. Please guide if someone recently did this in Pakistan. Thanks.

Reactions: Hamied

IheartCanada

Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please help
Hi guys
Its been a month that showing DM1 in ECAS but not received SA letter yet, contacted 3 times and an agent left a note on file regarding sending SA letter. Still nothing.
What should I do?
Also no additional documents or PCC requested however, I have sent PCC on Feb 2020 (proactively ) before my parents left their country and since March 2020 they are here. Do you think they will ask for another PCC as its expierd

Thanks for your help

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
I am the sponsor of my mother's application. Currently IRCC is working on PPR. I have a urgent question that I am worried about, as a sponsor I have gave birth to a child after I have passed the sponsor's eligibility DM stage, do I need to update IRCC that the sponsor have gave birth to a child (not the principle applicant)? How do I do that? Thank you!!
Yes you need to update them about birth of your child. Send them a webform informing them that you the sponsor had a child and include the birth certificate of the child.
And you will need to maintain your income from this year including your child in family members, in case the PR is not completed by next year, but hopefully the PR application is completed soon.
Good luck :)

Reactions: MeaveNivla

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
Hi everyone

Anyone who has requested extension to do medical, do you get a reply back?
My parents are currently in Canada and they are going out of Canada for 1.5 month.
Their current medicals are expired since feb 2021. So far i have not got medical request.
In case we get their medical request when they are out of Canada, can we ask for extension as we want to do it here in case pf any followup exams.
Can we ask for extension for this reason?

ClaudiaHo

Jan 3, 2019
That means your COPR and PR Visa are issued with this approval. COPR comes with the passport. The date may appear in the approval line that is the validity of COPR.
Thank you Laxsun! we did receive the COPR today! Hurray, the long wait is over :)
Next step would be for planning their landing, I wonder if anyone landed recently and can provide insight on quarantine steps? Only one of my parents are certifiably vaccinated as per Canada's guideline now. So I am assuming they will need to go into quarantine when they come. How does the booking and transition to the quarantine hotel work? and can I still go to the airport and pick up my parents so that i can send them to the hotel after?

Thanks a million! This forum has been a great place for resources as well as emotional support through out this journey! Best of luck too all still waiting too, things are picking up again finally!

Reactions: nguyentu2001

rawfile

Star Member
May 23, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Hi, I have applied for my parents PR on June 4, 2019. I haven't heard back since Dec 2019 when they were asked to do the medicals.

My mom came to Canada in Nov 2020 and I have extended her stay in Canada due to the Pandemic.
Now due to a family situation, she wants to return before the visa for extended stay is approved.

Will it impact her visa in anyway? If the PR gets further delayed, can she come back on the visa again? In other words, when the extension of stay is rejected as she left the country, will the visa still be valid?

Note: For my Mother in-law, when she left Canada before visa extension, her extension was rejected. But her visa also expired shortly after.

Thank you!

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
Please help
Hi guys
Its been a month that showing DM1 in ECAS but not received SA letter yet, contacted 3 times and an agent left a note on file regarding sending SA letter. Still nothing.
What should I do?
Also no additional documents or PCC requested however, I have sent PCC on Feb 2020 (proactively ) before my parents left their country and since March 2020 they are here. Do you think they will ask for another PCC as its expierd

Thanks for your help
SA may be sent via Mail. Call them again or order notes.

Wait for them to ask any further documents and submit only when they request.

Reactions: IheartCanada

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
Hi, I have applied for my parents PR on June 4, 2019. I haven't heard back since Dec 2019 when they were asked to do the medicals.

My mom came to Canada in Nov 2020 and I have extended her stay in Canada due to the Pandemic.
Now due to a family situation, she wants to return before the visa for extended stay is approved.

Will it impact her visa in anyway? If the PR gets further delayed, can she come back on the visa again? In other words, when the extension of stay is rejected as she left the country, will the visa still be valid?

Note: For my Mother in-law, when she left Canada before visa extension, her extension was rejected. But her visa also expired shortly after.

Thank you!
leaving Canada will not impact her visitor visa and it is good till its expiry date. She can re-enter Canada provided her visitor visa is still valid for 6 months or more (there may be exceptions too).

Regarding the application to extend the stay, you can withdraw the applications and ask for a refund if they haven't started working on the extension.

Reactions: rawfile

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
Yes, you need to update IRCC on this. This will be reported as "Changes in a sponsor’s circumstances/the family size". Not reporting this may be treated as misrepresentation and may result in refusal.

Call IRCC or submit webform to update IRCC.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
How long do my parents' passport need to be valid during PGP application ? They are both living in Canada. For the applicants within Canada, do they need to renew their passport if their passports will expire within 8 months ? Thank you.
It uses to be 6 months, but I have seen they are asking for 12 months now.