+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can spend more time researching but by doing a quick search I was able to find this article. Your mother may have wanted or needed to work but many parents may not be willing to work in Canada, may face barriers like language, may be older or have health issues, may expect for their children to support them financially, may not be willing to work because they are a woman and working out of the home would not be culturally acceptable, etc. The majority of parents being sponsored will never work or pay taxes in Canada. The increasing years of financial responsibility makes sense. At first the government considered that parents/grandparents only needed an adjustment period and sometime during the first 10 years they would have stopped applying for welfare like many refugees. After the financial responsibility was increased to 10 years a large number of parents still were applying for welfare so the years of financial support was raised to 20 years (except Quebec).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/don-t-bring-parents-here-for-welfare-kenney-says-1.1351002

Not trying to criticize anyone but it is good for people to understand the history of the PGP program and obstacles that have lead to changes in the program.
They might not willing to work in Canada, but with the internet, they can speculate in stocks or keep stocks to earn dividend income and pay taxes.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Attached proof. It is good for people to understand the history of the application and the challenges of the program. If someone is so focused on sponsoring a parent or grandparent they may not appreciate the challenges of the program, how the majority of people with status in Canada prioritize the program and the additional drain on the healthcare system. Many people are also not aware of the serious financial implications on sponsoring someone. I have attached a paper about the huge financial liability that comes with sponsoring parents or grandparents if they end up in longterm care. These numbers are from approximately 10 years ago so the costs for a space in longterm care will have increased. As the paper points out many fail to consider the potential cost of sponsoring a parent or grandparent. With current LICO rates people will not be able to afford the costs they are responsible for unless they or their parents have a large amount of savings that has been saved for care/expenses as they age. I think the Canadian government does a disservice to those applying to sponsor parent by not explaining their financial responsibilities and keeping LICO at such a low level. If the government doesn't inform people I can highlight areas of potential concern.

http://www.acelaw.ca/appimages/file/Sponsored Immigrants.pdf
Even without PGP, they might still end up huge financial liabilty especially if their parents are in Canada as temporary residents.

harrygne

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh (online)
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Passport Req..
08-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
land on 20-08-2014
Today completing 2 years, PGP file received 14th May at CPC-Mississauga. Still no update and file is still in process. Medical and all other requirements completed in December 2019.

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Received second medical exam request on April 18th. However, my parents were in another city to deal with some important stuff, and they won’t be able to do the medical exam before 18th this month. What would be considered a valid reason to postpone the medical exam? Thanks!
No need to worry. If they can do by May 18 that should be fine. They will consider Covid situation.

Last edited:

rs33

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Same phase as you.
Contacted MP office last week. MP agent called IRCC and IRCC agent said 'once wait time passed the 24 months mark we will not be able to give any estimate'. Seems to me that IRCC is freewheeling in giving answers.
We contacted our MP a while ago but because it was before 24 months, they couldn't do anything. Not at 24 months yet but since we got that letter a bit ago about how the processing times are not accurate (and no longer listed as such), I don't think inquiring again will help. I did get the GCMS notes today but there's really nothing in there. A bunch of pages are redacted. Looks like the application is active/open but nothing has been done. I do realize we were at the very late end submitting (but still before the deadline!) and that was because my daughter was born in June 2019 so we couldn't submit until we knew her name/birthday as she is obviously a dependent.

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Hi everyone,
Yesterday was the 2 year mark of my sponsorship application to my parents.
The fact that I live in QC seems to be an extra slowing factor on top of the pandemic (very few QC files have been concluded so far).
Since Dec 2019 just radio-silence.

I don't have anything special to share but to wish everyone good luck and patience.
It's a sad state of affair even if we can indeed consider ourselves the lucky ones (which are already in process, whatever it's suppose to means) but it's upsetting to realize that even after 2 years of processing with very few to none information, you don't seem to be worthy of any extra information or clarification
Anyway, I want to thank everyone that somehow contribute to this community with special thanks for the admins for keeping the google sheet updated (funny how a bunch of random people on an online forum can create such a powerful informational tool)

I feel that my journey is not even close to the end, so looks like we are going to be here for the long haul ;)

Anyway, thanks everyone and enjoy the summer, maybe after the holidays we will see some extra movement? (one can only hope)
Keep your positivism in this difficult situation.
Once Covid situation is in control, all applications get processed.
London VO is sending all sorts of requests now as the Covid situation has improved there.

Last edited:
Reactions: vic20

amanpreet.kaur01

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Edmonton,Ab
App. Filed.......
June17,2019
AOR Received.
13-04-2020
Hey am in the same boat as you. I have been waiting for my moms passport call since 2020 Jan. Last update is they are doing background check in india and it's more than a year for that now. Her visa office is mississauga. Are you at the same stage?
I have not got anything , they always say the back ground check is in process, no eligibility has started , nothing

naticom

Jul 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2016
Doc's Request.
27-07-2016 RCMP
AOR Received.
AOR1 26-04-2016 AOR2 14-06-2016
File Transfer...
06-06-2016
My mom did her second ME on Apr 29 but hasn't seen any update yet.

Did you see MyCIC updated first, ant then received PRR after 4 days, or the PPR just came directly without any change on ECAS or MyCIC?

Hi, my parents did it on April 23, uploaded on the same day, and it got passed on May 7. Exactly 2 weeks.

afged

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
@YULIA-2016, @robertp Please update line 564 with following:
- today received the medical and police certificate requests along with Schedule A, IMM5406, IMM5562 forms
London has awakened :)
i got the same request , do they need to sign the paper or just type their name will work on the forms which are requested.

Last edited:

usama23

Dec 4, 2013
Hello Pro members,

I just got a quick question, I recently received the Police certificate and Medical Request from London Visa Office. My mom lived with us on visitor visa last year with the visitor extension upto 8 or 9 months do i need a police certificate for her from Canada as well?

Medical appointments are far out and latest one is in July so we need to send the extension request to London visa office?

Thanks in advance

afged

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
@YULIA-2016 , PLEASE UPDATE MY APPLICATION status today i got - today received the medical and police certificate requests along with Schedule A, IMM5406, IMM5562 forms from LONDON OFFICE

Reactions: laxsun

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Hello Pro members,

I just got a quick question, I recently received the Police certificate and Medical Request from London Visa Office. My mom lived with us on visitor visa last year with the visitor extension upto 8 or 9 months do i need a police certificate for her from Canada as well?

Medical appointments are far out and latest one is in July so we need to send the extension request to London visa office?

Thanks in advance
There is no police certificate from Canada. IRCC may ask you RCMP finger printing later if they think that is necessary.