+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

gayfish

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Did you submit a visa extension request for your parent?
As per the website, your parent will assume implied status until the decision is made for the visa extension request. I am sure by then they should have got their passports back :)
Not yet, but we're finalizing the application and will be submitting soon.

We were going through a few ups and downs past few days as we realized we needed to provide latest stamps on passport to request extension after the passport had already been sent out. Although it was still at the Canada Post outlet and not yet picked up for delivery, they refused to let us have it back per CP policy. We also learnt from cic guidelines that we would not be granted implied status if the application is incomplete - which could very well be the case for us as we wouldn't be able to provide latest stamps on passport. We got so stressed over the fact we might be out of status in Canada and it would have a negative impact on landing that we posted a new thread in this forum asking for advice, after frantically researching everywhere for info without success.

Fortunately, everything turned out well at the end. We call cic and was advised the same thing as what was kindly suggested to us in our post, i.e. apply for extension anyways with LOE, indicating we'll send latest stamps on passport later via webform once we get it back from cic. What's even better is that we got to speak to Senior Solutions team from Canada Post, who was kind and understanding enough to make an exception for us to get back our shipment. We quickly made copies of all pages in passport for visa extension and resent the passport to cic. Thought we would share our experience as it might be helpful for those who happen to be in the same situation like us :)

acalinao

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Your father is considered as your mother's dependent since they are not LEGALLY separated or divorced.
Not necessarily. According to CIC’s website, “Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.” Some countries don’t have divorce so there is no way to file a separation with the courts. In my mother in law’s case, she hasn’t had contact with her husband for over 20 years so she wrote a letter explaining this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not necessarily. According to CIC’s website, “Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.” Some countries don’t have divorce so there is no way to file a separation with the courts. In my mother in law’s case, she hasn’t had contact with her husband for over 20 years so she wrote a letter explaining this.
Very dependent on the circumstances. You will need more than just a letter to prove that they are separated like records of different addresses during that 20 year period. Unfortunately some families do claim that parents are separated if there is concern that one parent may not pass the medical.

NirCHa

Jul 15, 2019
A small question for you NirCHa how did u link ur application to my cic? Did you use your parents uci or yours since you are the representative.My son is our representative but not able to link the application so we are not able to see if we passed medicals or not.
I used my dad’s (principal applicant) UCI.

Rajinder.kaur

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
Hello Friends,
My parents did their biometric on 27th of December.
Do I need to send the confirmation receipts to the immigration , what they received at the time of biometrics?
Thanks

acalinao

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Very dependent on the circumstances. You will need more than just a letter to prove that they are separated like records of different addresses during that 20 year period. Unfortunately some families do claim that parents are separated if there is concern that one parent may not pass the medical.
Well there is nothing more than her letter. She’s lived in the same place and hasn’t spoken to him in over 20 years. Doesn’t even know where he is. She’s legally separated according to CIC.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Please re-read the original post. They claimed their parents are separated but not legally, hence I re-stated the same fact in my post.

Hi there, my parents are separated not legally. My mother is applying for a PR, and is required to do an medical exam. But CIC required my father to do the same. We did not apply for my father a PR since he suffered stroke a couple of years ago. What should we do?

And legally separated or divorced is considered more or less the same as per CIC rules. I did include both options in my advice. They still need to provide strong supporting documents to showcase this to convince the VO.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Well there is nothing more than her letter. She’s lived in the same place and hasn’t spoken to him in over 20 years. Doesn’t even know where he is. She’s legally separated according to CIC.
That is up to the VO to decide whether the her letter alone is sufficient. The rule only states the condition but does not outline in detail what needed to be submitted to prove it.
I have not gone through the same situation so I cannot comment on what exactly will be considered as acceptable proof.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Things like tax records where she filed as separated or single can be added proof. She may have already submitted financial documents indicating her single status

acalinao

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Things like tax records where she filed as separated or single can be added proof. She may have already submitted financial documents indicating her single status
She has no tax records. There is no such thing as being separated in her country. You are either married, widowed, common-law, or single. So there is no “added proof.”

acalinao

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
That is up to the VO to decide whether the her letter alone is sufficient. The rule only states the condition but does not outline in detail what needed to be submitted to prove it.
I have not gone through the same situation so I cannot comment on what exactly will be considered as acceptable proof.
No, CIC has already decided. She provided a detailed letter as requested. And since you have not experienced this situation you aren’t able to offer advice.

acalinao

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Please re-read the original post. They claimed their parents are separated but not legally, hence I re-stated the same fact in my post.

Hi there, my parents are separated not legally. My mother is applying for a PR, and is required to do an medical exam. But CIC required my father to do the same. We did not apply for my father a PR since he suffered stroke a couple of years ago. What should we do?

And legally separated or divorced is considered more or less the same as per CIC rules. I did include both options in my advice. They still need to provide strong supporting documents to showcase this to convince the VO.
My point is that some countries don’t have a legal separation process through the courts, so as long as they are not living together they can be considered legally separated. Depending on the country, there may not be any “strong evidence.” Not everyone comes from a country where things are documented correctly.

sy3211

Jun 14, 2016
AOR: Oct 11

My current status of the parents Sponsorship 2019 is:

- Sponsorship application status: decision made
- Permanent Residence Application Status: in process

What is next process?

My parents are in Canada with Visitor visa since Feb which means they were here when I submitted the application.

I believe they don’t need to do biometrics, they are Korean. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She has no tax records. There is no such thing as being separated in her country. You are either married, widowed, common-law, or single. So there is no “added proof.”
As I mentioned before it is dependent on circumstances. Although only a letter may have been accepted in your mother’s case people should assume that a letter might not be sufficient and that actual documentation that people are separated and have not been living together may be needed. This is especially the case if they are claiming the separation was in the past 5-10 years. Unfortunately there have been parents that have said they are separated because one spouse would not pass the medical. In general your word is only word so much because people lie so you often need to add documentation. For example you must give evidence that you have been living together for 1 year not just a letter.