+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OHIP coverage is not required to be tested for COVID
Responding to a post where is was suggested that visitors would be willing to pay for airport testing. OHIP is just in Ontario.

“As per Steaky
Yesterday at 7:38 PM
canuck78 said:
Testing is not available in all countries and unless you take a test right before entering the airport the airport there is no guarantee you haven’t been infected by covid in those 72 hours. If people want to visit or want to return to Canada they have to quarantine for 14 days. Testing all the people returning would add to costs and many entering are visitors. Many provinces are already reaching their max capacity for testing daily.

If no laundry is available put your travel clothes in a garbage bag. If I was in an area where there was a high chance of covid exposure l would wash my clothing and shower when coming home. Many working in LTC and hospitals do this and so do flight attendants, airport staff, etc.
Like I said before if they want to make sure people got infected or not by covid during the quarantine period, the government can do further testing 2 to 3 days before the end of the 14 days quarantine period. Visitors pay the cost for their own testing.

If you were in a high chance of covid exposure, shouldn't you quarantine yourself for 14 days and get test as well?“

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My parents completed their landing on Saturday. Landed in Vancouver then flew to Calgary.

They did not ask for details of self isolation plan.

Straightforward.
Very disturbing and disappointing. Not sure what CBSA and public health is doing. Very clear from a few interactions that many people need much more clarification on how to maintain quarantine. Had someone today tell me today that they were quarantining with their spouse, who arrived from abroad, and the person was still going to work. As an MD you should be able to reach out to someone directly to signal the big gap in covid protection plan in Alberta.

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
My parents completed their landing on Saturday. Landed in Vancouver then flew to Calgary.

They did not ask for details of self isolation plan.

Straightforward.
Did you fill out ArriveCan app? That could be the reason why they didn't ask for self isolation plan. One of my friends' folks are landing in Vancouver as well. How long did it take in general for the interview?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There's nothing wrong with that. OHIP coverage is not required to be tested for COVID
I was responding to your post when you suggested that visitors could pay for their own testing. Others were trying to correct me because they thought I didn’t know that you could access testing for free without OHIP and did not realize that I was responding to a very specific comment. I am all for asking visitors to pay for a covid test at the airport. I don’t think you can legally force someone to do a medical test. I am sure someone would challenge the rule in court.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very disturbing and disappointing. Not sure what CBSA and public health is doing. Very clear from a few interactions that many people need much more clarification on how to maintain quarantine. Had someone today tell me today that they were quarantining with their spouse, who arrived from abroad, and the person was still going to work. As an MD you should be able to reach out to someone directly to signal the big gap in covid protection plan in Alberta.
What's the problem with that? Perhaps the parents filled out the ArriveCan app?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was responding to your post when you suggested that visitors could pay for their own testing. Others were trying to correct me because they thought I didn’t know that you could access testing for free without OHIP and did not realize that I was responding to a very specific comment. I am all for asking visitors to pay for a covid test at the airport. I don’t think you can legally force someone to do a medical test. I am sure someone would challenge the rule in court.
But if the government pay them for free, why would visitors pay?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What's the problem with that? Perhaps the parents filled out the ArriveCan app?
That was not specified or hinted at. After 5 months there still seems to be a lot of inconsistency between borders and information online, very little follow-up with people in Quarantine, at least in Ontario and many don’t understand basic quarantine procedures. As I’ve already specified someone today was under the impression that it was fine to live with their spouse as a normal couple while she/he was quarantining for 14 days and he continued to go to work. I don’tthink I convinced him that was incorrect and to call their doctor or public health office to ask about their specific circumstances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But if the government pay them for free, why would visitors pay?
You were the one who suggested that visitors pay. Reread your own statement. You we’re also suggesting multiple tests for for all returnees and I suggested that it would be very expensive and a logistical nightmare. You said that visitors could pay for their own tests.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were the one who suggested that visitors pay. Reread your own statement. You we’re also suggesting multiple tests for for all returnees and I suggested that it would be very expensive and a logistical nightmare. You said that visitors could pay for their own tests.
Yes, but I repeat if the government pay them for free, why would visitors pay?

Like if you buys me a car, why do I need to buy one out of my pocket? Although I am willing to buy my own.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That was not specified or hinted at. After 5 months there still seems to be a lot of inconsistency between borders and information online, very little follow-up with people in Quarantine, at least in Ontario and many don’t understand basic quarantine procedures. As I’ve already specified someone today was under the impression that it was fine to live with their spouse as a normal couple while she/he was quarantining for 14 days and he continued to go to work. I don’tthink I convinced him that was incorrect and to call their doctor or public health office to ask about their specific circumstances.
Why don't you specify or hint the basic quarantine procedures then? I seen in the forum that people being quarantined recieved phone calls twice a day from officials to check how they were doing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, but I repeat if the government pay them for free, why would visitors pay?

Like if you buys me a car, why do I need to buy one out of my pocket?
You were the one who suggested they pay as well as suggesting that people entering should get multiple tests while in quarantine. This was your suggestion of what would be better than the 14 day quarantine. I pointed out that quarantining for visitors was easy and inexpensive. You suggested that visitors could pay for testing. I’m done going around in circles. Read through the conversation from the beginning if you want the whole story.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why don't you specify or hint the basic quarantine procedures then? I seen in the forum that people being quarantined recieved phone calls twice a day from officials to check how they were doing.
I have also seen many posts where nobody called for the full 2 weeks. Ontario seems to be doing an especially poor job likely because the large volume of people quarantining in Ontario. There is no point in my posting tips on what proper quarantine. The government should be posting a more comprehensive guide to quarantining online or giving them out at each POE. People should be asked a few more questions at the POE to clarify that it sounds like they understand what proper quarantining is.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were the one who suggested they pay as well as suggesting that people entering should get multiple tests while in quarantine. This was your suggestion of what would be better than the 14 day quarantine. I pointed out that quarantining for visitors was easy and inexpensive. You suggested that visitors could pay for testing. I’m done going around in circles. Read through the conversation from the beginning if you want the whole story.
Getting multiple test is a way to know whether one have covid or not. If you don't want test done, then that's your choice.