+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
So I am in process of getting the application package ready and based on my experience, following are the key points which I would like to suggest the fellow sponsors/ applicants:
  1. Make sure you choose the below option in form IMM1344 (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement)

2. Everytime you do a change in the information entered in the form, do not forget to click Validate on the forms (is Validate button is in the form).

3. For IMM4506 (Additional Family Information), do not forget to write names in native (non-english) language if your parents are coming from country where English is not an official or national language.

4. In Supporting Document - Part B section of checklist, I would suggest to check mark on the Proof of Income or Notice of Assessment....... option and accordingly provide NOA or any other proof of income for yourself and your co-sponsor (if applicable). Though i found this section of checklist little confusing; in first read it appeared that the sponsor is required to provide NOA only if the sponsor denies providing his or her SIN number in form IMM5768. But i believe the NOAs are to be provided regardless of response provided in IMM5768. I don't believe it will hurt!

I am preparing the forms and mailing/ courier the physical printed forms to them, this will avoid them a hassle of printing the documents. Then they will go through the forms and sign them, if they find everything alright in the forms. After that they will courier those back to me with the Photographs, photocopies of their passport pages, Marriage certificate/ affidavits etc.

Please note that above suggestions are on the basis of my understanding.
Thanks! Appreciate the reminders! For #4, I'm quite sure that your first interpretation was the correct one. If you and the cosigner (if applicable) provide their SIN, then they do not need to submit NOAs. IRCC will directly contact CRA for this information.

Isn't it better to email the forms to our parents instead ? This way we can avoid the courier fee in one direction. Parents can print the forms, sign and date where required, and along with other supporting documents mail them back.

I was even thinking of only sending them the pages that they need to sign. Don't want to confuse them unnecessarily.

I also filled out the "Use of Representative" form as suggested by several others in the older sponsorship threads. If you do not do this, then you, the sponsor, will not be able to inquire about the status of your parent's application.

Edit: from the guide,

Signing the statement of consent (question 8 on the Financial Evaluation for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship) and providing your Social Insurance Number (SIN) will allow Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to collect your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and request your income tax information quickly from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to determine whether you meet the minimum necessary income requirements. If you do not provide your consent, you must complete the applicable form Income Sources for the Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents and submit a Notice of Assessment issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application. If you do not have paper copies of your Notices of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service.

Last edited:
Reactions: nayr69sg

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Hello to everyone.

I have been selected to send an application to petition my parents to come to Canada.

I will be honest, I submitted the Interest to Sponsor form last January even if I knew that for 2016 our income is short of $6000. For 2014 and 2015, our income is more than enough though. That is why I took the chance to submit the Interest Form. For 2016, I was the only one who worked because my wife had to finish her studies to become an LPN. That is why our income was not enough. We have not received NOA from 2017 yet but I believe that we meet the income requirements for 2017. Has anyone come across the same situation?

Now that I am selected to apply my parents, I am having doubts whether to continue the application or not. I know I have read lots of comments from previous posts saying that if you did not neet the income requirements, you should have not submitted the interest form in the first place. I am sorry if I took anyones spot in the process but I thought I will give it a try.
Don't want to sound rude, but don't you think by doing that you earned a bit of bad karma! And yes, if you were not sure about your eligibility and still put your name in the draw, you did take someone else's spot. Not Fair.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks! Appreciate the reminders! For #4, I'm quite sure that your first interpretation was the correct one. If you and the cosigner (if applicable) provide their SIN, then they do not need to submit NOAs. IRCC will directly contact CRA for this information. I agree with you, but given that it won't hurt or cause any issues, i am still going to provide them copies of the NOAs.

Isn't it better to email the forms to our parents instead ? This way we can avoid the courier fee in one direction. Parents can print the forms, sign and date where required, and along with other supporting documents mail them back.
I would say it's your personal preference. In my case my parents would hate to deal with printing papers, they would like to have everything done and ready for signatures :)

I was even thinking of only sending them the pages that they need to sign. Don't want to confuse them unnecessarily.

I also filled out the "Use of Representative" form as suggested by several others in the older sponsorship threads. If you do not do this, then you, the sponsor, will not be able to inquire about the status of your parent's application.
That's very important, thanks for the reminder about that.

Edit: from the guide,

faisal124

Star Member
Mar 21, 2010
Hi,

Anybody from Quebec. I am from Quebec and got invited to apply. Somebody told me that while sending initial application to CPC-M, we need to send all the financial information (2017 Tax Returns, job letter, pay stubs etc) although the document checklist doesn't say anything. Is anybody from Quebec sending those initially to CPC-M? Also, do we need to send any document for parents in their home country initially, like Bank statements, Job letter if working? Any advice?

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
So I am in process of getting the application package ready and based on my experience, following are the key points which I would like to suggest the fellow sponsors/ applicants:
  1. Make sure you choose the below option in form IMM1344 (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement)

2. Everytime you do a change in the information entered in the form, do not forget to click Validate on the forms (is Validate button is in the form).

3. For IMM4506 (Additional Family Information), do not forget to write names in native (non-english) language if your parents are coming from country where English is not an official or national language.

4. In the application package Include the printed ITA letter received from IRCC via email. Surprisingly the checklist hasn't asked for it, but i believe that should be provided by applicant, just to avoid any confusion at IRCC's end. That might just be me being little more careful!
  5. Do not forget to provide USE OF REPRESENTATIVE FORM IMM5476, I am sure all sponsors are willing to be Representative of their parents.

6. In Supporting Document - Part B section of checklist, I would suggest to check mark on the Proof of Income or Notice of Assessment....... option and accordingly provide NOA or any other proof of income for yourself and your co-sponsor (if applicable). Though i found this section of checklist little confusing; in first read it appeared that the sponsor is required to provide NOA only if the sponsor denies providing his or her SIN number in form IMM5768. But i believe the NOAs are to be provided regardless of response provided in IMM5768. I don't believe it will hurt!

I am preparing the forms and mailing/ courier the physical printed forms to them, this will avoid them a hassle of printing the documents. Then they will go through the forms and sign them, if they find everything alright in the forms. After that they will courier those back to me with the Photographs, photocopies of their passport pages, Marriage certificate/ affidavits etc.

Inanimate

Jan 6, 2017
Hello all,

I’m single and sponsoring my parents (mom and dad). Their dependant child (my younger sister) is 18. My understanding is that she has to be counted for the family size regardless of whether she’s coming to Canada or not.

My question is, if my sister is not coming to Canada, do I still have to meet the minimum LICO cut off for FOUR people (me, mom, dad, sister)? Or does it have to be for THREE people (me, mom, dad) since my sister is technically not being included in the application to come to Canada?

Appreciate your input in advance!

hallieliu

Apr 13, 2016
Hello all,

I’m single and sponsoring my parents (mom and dad). Their dependant child (my younger sister) is 18. My understanding is that she has to be counted for the family size regardless of whether she’s coming to Canada or not.

My question is, if my sister is not coming to Canada, do I still have to meet the minimum LICO cut off for FOUR people (me, mom, dad, sister)? Or does it have to be for THREE people (me, mom, dad) since my sister is technically not being included in the application to come to Canada?

you still need to meet income requirements for 4 people.

Reactions: YVR123 and nayr69sg

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you @BeeA for help. much appreciated.

I checked the LICO table and which raise one more question about my 2015 total income, I hope you or any champions/experts can guide;

2015 our total income was $88,267, at that time we were only 3 family member, now (in 2018) if I am sponsoring 4 more people do we have to meet 7 people income for 2015 which is 82,091 or 8 people total income which is $90,449. Please help.

2016 our total income was $115,961, in 2016 Nov, my daughter was born, so we become 4 family member and requirement is $92,217

2017 our total income is $96,006, family size remain the same 4. And additional 4 which we intended to sponsor so total 8 and requirement for 8 is $93,247.

So I’m covered for 2016 and 2017. Just doubtful about 2015 income.
They don't care what your family size was in previous year, they only ask and care about your family size today when you submit the app. You need to meet this family size, for all 3 previous years.

So if you don't meet today's family size LICO in 2015, you do not qualify and have wasted a lottery spot for someone else.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello all,

This is answered clearly in the guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

How to calculate the family size?
  1. Count:
    • yourself,
    • your spouse or common-law partner and
    • dependent children, if applicable.
  2. Count:
    • the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
    • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.

HarryKhuttan

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Edmonton
Hello all,

4. In the application package Include the printed ITA letter received from IRCC via email. Surprisingly the checklist hasn't asked for it, but i believe that should be provided by applicant, just to avoid any confusion at IRCC's end. That might just be me being little more careful!
  5. Do not forget to provide USE OF REPRESENTATIVE FORM IMM5476, I am sure all sponsors are willing to be Representative of their parents.

6. In Supporting Document - Part B section of checklist, I would suggest to check mark on the Proof of Income or Notice of Assessment....... option and accordingly provide NOA or any other proof of income for yourself and your co-sponsor (if applicable). Though i found this section of checklist little confusing; in first read it appeared that the sponsor is required to provide NOA only if the sponsor denies providing his or her SIN number in form IMM5768. But i believe the NOAs are to be provided regardless of response provided in IMM5768. I don't believe it will hurt!

Nice tips, thank you! I have a question regarding dependent child. My lawyer is trying to get me pay $1040 for my 19 yr old sister as he says that she’s over 18 and full fee should be paid and i’m keep telling him it should be only $150 as long as she’s under 22. Any suggestions?

Serenity03

Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov. 4, 2014
AOR Received.
Dec. 19, 2014 / Aug. 27, 2015
Med's Done....
January 8, 2016
Nice tips, thank you! I have a question regarding dependent child. My lawyer is trying to get me pay $1040 for my 19 yr old sister as he says that she’s over 18 and full fee should be paid and i’m keep telling him it should be only $150 as long as she’s under 22. Any suggestions?
Based on the GUIDE you will only pay $1040 for the applicant and the spouse then $150 for the dependent.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
You need to pay $150 for your 19yr old sister who is dependent on your Parents, not sure why your lawyer is asking you to pay more than that!
As per IRCC guide, Children qualify as dependants if they meet the below requirements:
  • they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner.
Time to change your lawyer :)

Reactions: yycpam and nayr69sg

jazz_swty

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Hi there..
There are two threads with similar name for Parents sponsorship 2018. I thought to post my question in both to get expert advise.

I received an invitation 3-4 days before and now preparing documents for my parents.

I have a big confusion while filling application for my father. He was charged with a criminal offense recently Oct 2017 and was arrested and detained for few days. it was a false charge, and now the case is over and he has proven no guilty by court.

In this scenario what I should be mentioning for below questions -
1. "application been detained, incarcerated or put in Jail". - YES

2. "been convicted of , or are you currently charged with, on trial for , ..........or subject of any criminal proceeding in any country" - NO

3. shall I attach proof from court that he is not guilty as well with the documents ?

4. Shall I do advance PCC for him to see what will comes in PCC ?

Please help me here.... Thank you.

ghsj

Sep 19, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have some questions and hope someone can help me:

1. I am married but no kids yet, and I am sponsoring my mom without a co-signer. My mom is divorced (10 years) ago. Is it correct to put 3 as the family size (me + husband + my mom)? Also will I need to submit my mom's divorce paper?

2. I have a sister she's 27 years old (single, not married), lives in Canada and getting her PR (she just got medical request last week so it should be soon). She is not financially dependent to my mom, so should I include her as my mom's dependent children?
(Also on form IMM0008 question #3)

Really appreciate your help!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Don't want to sound rude, but don't you think by doing that you earned a bit of bad karma! And yes, if you were not sure about your eligibility and still put your name in the draw, you did take someone else's spot. Not Fair.
Really the spot is going to be left empty and IRCC will draw another in second round to make up for it. Still, it's a bad move and waste of government resources

Reactions: nayr69sg and yycpam