Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello,
So 3 years of Canadian Income is must?I couldn't find it anywhere on cic.I have been here in Canada for only an year and half so I cant apply that means despite of having the minimum income ?Please help
Only Quebec residents require 1 year.

All other provinces require 3 years of income meeting LICO amount. If you or your spouse don't have necessary years of income, then you don't qualify.

Jen1234567

Dec 23, 2017
Hi, looking to sponsor parents and two younger brothers in 2018 (didn’t win lottery last year). 1. Does anyone know if I have to be physically in the country to sponsor them - I will be on mat leave and travelling for a few months next year? 2. Also, they changed the rules with dependents and now my 21 year old brother will qualify as a dependent of my parents, but if I include him, my income is not high enough in one year - do I have to include him in the application or is it optional (he is already in Canada on a study visa). 3. If i submit application for parents now, can I sponsor my grandparents in a few years when my income is high enough and they are actually ready to move? Thanks so much and apologies for long questions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, looking to sponsor parents and two younger brothers in 2018 (didn’t win lottery last year). 1. Does anyone know if I have to be physically in the country to sponsor them - I will be on mat leave and travelling for a few months next year? 2. Also, they changed the rules with dependents and now my 21 year old brother will qualify as a dependent of my parents, but if I include him, my income is not high enough in one year - do I have to include him in the application or is it optional (he is already in Canada on a study visa). 3. If i submit application for parents now, can I sponsor my grandparents in a few years when my income is high enough and they are actually ready to move? Thanks so much and apologies for long questions.
1. Yes - you must be physically in the country to sponsor them. I would keep the traveling to a few weeks.
2. Yes - your 21 year old brother is a dependent provided he's not married and is not in a common law relationship.
3. Yes. Note that you will need to include your parents and brother in the LICO calculation. Also, your grandparents will both have to pass the medical.

Jen1234567

Dec 23, 2017
1. Yes - you must be physically in the country to sponsor them. I would keep the traveling to a few weeks.
2. Yes - your 21 year old brother is a dependent provided he's not married and is not in a common law relationship.
3. Yes. Note that you will need to include your parents and brother in the LICO calculation. Also, your grandparents will both have to pass the medical.

Jen1234567

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks so much for the reply.

1. Does it actually say anywhere I have to be physically in the country? I can be physically in Canada during the application process (who knows when it’s going to be, which is frustrating), but I am planning on being out of Canada for 5 months next year before returning to work.

2. I understand he is a dependent, but is it a requirement to include him? He will be turning 22 in July 2018. If I include this brother and with the new baby (who is my dependent), I don’t qualify to sponsor anyone then.

3. Ok. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. It's in the instruction guide. One of the requirements is that the sponsor 'live in Canada'. Five months is too long to be away and puts the application in jeopardy of being refused due to non residency.

2. Yes - you have to include your brother in the LICO calculation if the application is submitted before his 22nd birthday.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
From what has been posted by IRCC online and cicnews so far, it doesn't look like they will be improving the forms to make sure only those who qualify apply. Very disappointing, frustrating, and absolutely ridiculous. Hope I'm wrong!

Swaps

Dec 23, 2017
Just want to post specific questions, please reply. Let me know if these are already answered.

I am a Canada PR holder with mywife and Kid (both having a PR in canada), will like to sponsor my parents. I know that we need to meet the minimum income criteria for precedding three year to sponsor my parents.

I have couple of questions.

1. When I am sponsering my parents will size of the family and Minimum income requirement will be for 2 people (Just 2 for parents) or 5 people (Me + My wife + kid + 2 for parents).
2. My income criteria is ok for the 2016 and 2017 year. But for 2015 I am below and reason is I moved to Canada in the Mid of that year. Now can I include world wide income (income from States) to meet the criteria for 2015, I filled the taxes as partial resident in 2015 (as i was just moved in and not the PR holder at that time) and did show that income as a part of world wide income in tax return but it is not included in line 150 of the tax return.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  1. Your family size is 5
  2. It must be 3 years of Canadian income. Sources outside of Canada do not count.
Because you have partial 2015 income below LICO, you won’t qualify until next year.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Just want to post specific questions, please reply. Let me know if these are already answered.

I am a Canada PR holder with mywife and Kid (both having a PR in canada), will like to sponsor my parents. I know that we need to meet the minimum income criteria for precedding three year to sponsor my parents.

I have couple of questions.

1. When I am sponsering my parents will size of the family and Minimum income requirement will be for 2 people (Just 2 for parents) or 5 people (Me + My wife + kid + 2 for parents).
2. My income criteria is ok for the 2016 and 2017 year. But for 2015 I am below and reason is I moved to Canada in the Mid of that year. Now can I include world wide income (income from States) to meet the criteria for 2015, I filled the taxes as partial resident in 2015 (as i was just moved in and not the PR holder at that time) and did show that income as a part of world wide income in tax return but it is not included in line 150 of the tax return.
1) 5 people
from the guide,
How to calculate the family size?
The size of the family determines the amount of income you need to make to sponsor. Use this table below to assist you in calculating the size of your family:
  1. Count:
    Note: Children who meet the definition of a dependent child must be included in the calculation, even if you as a sponsor do not have custody nor provide child support.

2. Count:
    • the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
    • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.
  3. Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
  4. If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
  5. Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size
  6. Look at the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship in this guide to help you decide if you have the financial ability to meet sponsorship requirements. Note that your calculations will only be an estimate.
2) Someone can correct me If I'm wrong. You cannot use income generated outside Canada because you didn't pay taxes for that income in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
2) Someone can correct me If I'm wrong. You cannot use income generated outside Canada because you didn't pay taxes for that income in Canada
You are correct.

Swaps

Dec 23, 2017
1) 5 people
from the guide,

Thanks for the reply, is the logic here that I need to pay taxes on that income, or is it i should have that minimum income to afford my parents. Now reason i am asking is I did show that income as a part of my 2015 Canada tax filling i may not be fully taxed there because i get the tax credit on the paid taxes in US. It is the part of my total income in Canada tax filled in 2015 (but not in line 150 of the tax).

If you have any links that says it needs to be taxed on that income it will be helpful.

Swaps

Dec 23, 2017
  1. Your family size is 5
  2. It must be 3 years of Canadian income. Sources outside of Canada do not count.
Because you have partial 2015 income below LICO, you won’t qualify until next year.
Thanks for replying, do you have any link which says it needs to be income generated from Cana
  1. Your family size is 5
Thanks for replying, do you have any links saying source outside Canada donot count. Please send it will be helpful.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply, is the logic here that I need to pay taxes on that income, or is it i should have that minimum income to afford my parents. Now reason i am asking is I did show that income as a part of my 2015 Canada tax filling i may not be fully taxed there because i get the tax credit on the paid taxes in US. It is the part of my total income in Canada tax filled in 2015 (but not in line 150 of the tax).

If you have any links that says it needs to be taxed on that income it will be helpful.
Thanks for replying, do you have any link which says it needs to be income generated from Cana

Thanks for replying, do you have any links saying source outside Canada donot count. Please send it will be helpful.
The logic is that you needed to be resident in Canada when the income was earned. As clearly stated in the application, only income in line 150 can be used to meet LICO. The income earned before you became a resident is not included in line 150 and therefore cannot be used for meeting LICO.

Swaps

Dec 23, 2017
As far i know line 150 in notice of assessment is nothing to do with residency, it is total income on which tax is calculated by CRA. As I was not residence until Mid of 2017 and there is income in my 2015, 2016 notice of assessment at line 150.

But yes I agree in my case another other income will not count as that income was not counted in my tax return of 2015 (although I showed it during the tax filling).

Thanks for help..